If It Gave Us Time

51: Is That What You’re Upset About?

Quietly swirling the last of her champagne around the bottom of her glass, Isla shifted a little in her seat, her eyes flicking upwards slightly towards Luna and Evan who stood a little away from her, quietly swaying to the soft music which filled the room before they dropped back down, refocusing on her glass in her hand.

It had been a long day for her, almost from the moment that she had woken up, she had been preoccupied with making sure that Luna and Evan’s day went off without a hitch, and ensuring that she captured beautiful photographs that her newly married friends would treasure forever, but with a lot of the day having passed, she’d been allowed to relax, something which had enabled her to think back to the conversation that she and Gerard had had that morning, a thought which had a knot in the pit of her stomach.

She had tried not to think about it, with the wedding to focus on, she had been quick to deposit the thought at the back of her mind, but with all of the big moments over and done with, she couldn’t help but let her thoughts wander there, not quite sure how she ought to feel about what had happened. She knew that it was nothing, the look on Gerard’s face when he’d told her what had happened had been enough to convince her of it, but still it hurt her, even if they hadn’t even kissed. The idea that there had even been a chance of it happening was enough to make her stomach churn.

Shaking her head softly, she gently swirled the last of her drink around for a few more seconds before she lifted her glass, finishing it off.

“You need another?”

Isla jumped in her seat before she looked up, shaking her head slightly at Gerard who stood behind her seat, a slightly uncertain smile on his face. “Sorry” he mumbled “I didn’t mean to sneak up on you. I just had to get away from my table for a little while and I don’t know anyone else here. Can I sit?” he asked tentatively, gesturing to the empty seat at her side.

Isla stared up at him for a second before she nodded quietly, glancing down at the table ahead of her.

Gerard carefully pulled the chair out slightly before he sat down, allowing a couple of seconds of silence to pass between before he shook his head, his foot softly nudging Isla’s beneath the table. “You know” he mumbled “I am surprised to see you sat up here by yourself. I thought for sure that Evan’s best man would have tried his luck by now. He’s been sneaking glances at you all day” he added, his voice bright and teasing.

Isla rolled her eyes, something which made Gerard smirk a little, glad that he had earned a reaction. “What makes you think he didn’t try?” she quipped, not making any attempt to look up at him.

Gerard shrugged. “You’re still sat here” he quipped “And I know how much you love to dance. If he’d asked, I am pretty sure that you’d have said yes” he added.

Isla merely stared down at the table, her fingers messing with the tablecloth.

Gerard watched her for a second before he sighed quietly, leaning a little closer to her. “Will you dance with me?” he asked softly.

“What?” Isla asked, turning to look up at him.

“Will you dance with me?” Gerard repeated gently, offering her a small hopeful smile.

He knew that she was upset, from the moment that she had stepped into the bathroom that morning, he doubted that she had said more than two words to him, but he still wanted to make sure that she enjoyed her day, knowing that, despite what had happened between him and Luna, it was something she had been looking forwards to since the moment that Evan and Luna had announced their engagement.

Isla blinked a couple of times, surprised by his question, before she nodded her head slightly, trying, and failing, to hide the small smile which twitched at the corner of her lips. “I’d like that” she mused gently.

Gerard’s expression slackened ever so slightly in surprise before he quirked a small smile of his own. “This way, then” he quipped as he climbed out of his chair, offering his hand back to Isla.

Isla bit her lip softly before she placed her hand in his, allowing him to lead her towards the dancefloor before she wrapped her arms around his neck. Gerard smiled, marveling at the soft feel of her hands against his neck, before he settled his arms around her waist, softly swaying her from side to side in time with the music. “Green is your colour” he mumbled softly.

Isla, who’d drifted off slightly, tilted her head at the sound of his voice. “Hm?” she asked.

Gerard pinched the material of her dress. “This” he mumbled “It’s a beautiful colour on you. You look gorgeous in it” he added, offering her a crooked smile.

Isla shook her head, trying to hide the blush on her cheeks.

Gerard smiled down at her softly for a few seconds, his blue eyes admiring the shy expression on her face before he ducked forwards, kissing the top of her head sweetly. “I love you” he mumbled quietly.

Isla tightened her hold on him slightly. “I love you too” she replied.

Gerard smiled bashfully, taking a second to enjoy hearing those words from her, before he pulled back a pace, meeting her eyes. “Last night...”

Isla sighed gently, cutting him off. “Gerard...”

“Just look at Luna, Ok?” Gerard cut in, turning her around slightly.

Isla frowned but followed his direction, offering her friend a glance. “What about her?” she mumbled.

“She looks happy, no?” Gerard poked.

Isla nodded. “She does” she confirmed “But she still tried to...”

“It could have been anyone” Gerard interrupted “I was just the person in the room at the time. She was nervous, really nervous about today, and for a moment, she lost herself, but she didn’t mean to kiss me, Isla. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.” he added, stressing the word ‘me’.

Isla merely stood quietly, something which caused Gerard to duck his head slightly, leaning towards her ear. “I’ve just got you” he mumbled “After so many missed opportunities, we’re actually together now, and I’d not risk that for anything or anyone. I’m not going to let you go, Lala” he added, leaning down so that he could kiss her shoulder gently.

Isla closed her eyes at the touch of his lips on her skin. “You don’t think you could do better?” she mumbled, her voice just about audible to him above the music.

Gerard stiffened a little, shocked by the question, before he lightly gripped her shoulder, turning her around to look at him. “What?” he pressed.

Isla shook her head quickly. “Nothing” she mumbled.

“Is that what you’re upset about?” Gerard pressed gently.

Isla opened and closed her mouth a couple of times, thinking about denying, before she shrugged helplessly, something which caused Gerard to shake his head, a baffled laugh falling out of his mouth. “Do you not know how I feel about you?” he murmured softly.

Isla just shrugged again, chewing on her lip nervously.

Gerard watched her for a moment, her question repeating itself in his mind a couple of times, before he shook his head, another breathy laugh falling out of his mouth. “I don’t know what to say to that” he muttered, lifting his hands away from her.

Isla shook her head. “Gerard...”

Gerard cut her off by stepping backwards slightly, a difficult expression to decipher on his features. “I’m...uh...going to grab another drink” he stumbled out “I’ll catch up with you later?” he added.

Isla blinked a couple of times and cleared her throat. “Sure” she agreed stiffly.

Gerard flashed her a smile that didn’t even come close to reached his eyes before he stepped away, something which made Isla sigh quietly to herself before she walked off the dance floor, passing her parents who looked at her curiously.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)