If It Gave Us Time

57: What’s Your Point?

Gently brushing her fingertips through Milo’s soft fur, Isla shifted a little in her seat, her eyes sparing another glance towards the clock on the wall opposite her. She’d been watching it for most of the morning, with Luna’s wedding pictures having arrived from the printers, the other woman was due to visit in order to pick them up, and that was something which made Isla apprehensive, not quite sure how they’d be around one another.

They hadn’t spoken much, after Gerard had told her what had happened between him and Luna prior to the wedding, the conversations that they’d had had been few and far between and whilst Isla wanted to fix it, she didn’t quite know how to make the first step. Luna was avoiding Isla, and in part, Isla was avoiding Luna, something which made the idea of the two of them being the same place slightly uncomfortable to Isla who wasn’t quite sure what they’d say to one another.

Shifting her hand, she gently scratched the puppy behind the ears before she felt a light touch against the top of her head, something which caused her to tilt it backwards, smiling slightly up at Gerard who stood behind her. “Sorry” she mumbled “I didn’t hear you come down. Are you going?” she asked.

Gerard nodded. “In a few minutes” he confirmed “But I thought I’d come and say goodbye to you...to Milo first” he quipped impishly as he leant over, gently scratching Milo’s head.

Isla snorted out a quiet laugh, rolling her eyes slightly, but didn’t say anything, something which made Gerard sigh before he settled down on the arm of the couch, his arm gently settling around her shoulders. “You know that it’s going to fine, don’t you?” he murmured, gently brushing his hand up and down her arm.

Isla shrugged. “Maybe” she replied.

Gerard shook his head, letting out a slightly frustrated sigh. “Isla...”

“I know, Ok?” Isla mumbled, cutting him off “I know it was nothing, that it was just her nerves before she got married, and that she has no actual interest in you, but it’s still uncomfortable for me and it’s probably going to be that way for a while. Whatever the reason, she did try and kiss you, Piqué” she pointed out, peeking up at him gently.

Gerard held her stare for a second before he nodded, letting out another soft sigh. “I know” he mused “I just...I guess I’d hate to see you lose each other. I mean, I know that no one could have ever really replaced me as your best friend, but you and Luna have been close for a long time and I guess I’d hate to watch that slip away over something which was really nothing” he added, smirking a little at his own joke.

Isla rolled her eyes, but couldn’t help but smile gently, something which made Gerard lean over, pressing another soft kiss against the top of her head. “I’m sure you’ll figure it out” he mumbled into her hair.

Isla cuddled into him slightly, enjoying their embrace for a few seconds, before she pulled away, smiling up at him gently. “I’m kind of glad you’re around, you know that?” she mused.

Gerard laughed loudly. “Kind of?” he prodded.

Isla shrugged nonchalantly, something which made Gerard roll his eyes before he leant over, pressing a quick kiss against her lips. “You’re lucky I think you’re cute” he mumbled as he pushed himself back to his feet.

Isla just grinned at him, causing him to smile too, shaking his head as he stepped out of the room.

~#~
“Did you want tea anything?” Isla prodded as she gently pushed the front door closed, her eyes cautiously watching Luna who stood a little away from her, messing with the bag that she carried.

Luna flinched a little before she shook her head, offering Isla a tight smile. “It’s OK” she mused “I’d hate to take up too much of your time. I’ll just...” she trailed off as she spared a cautious glance towards Isla, not missing the timid smile that the other woman wore.

Isla held her stare for a second before she shook her head, breathing out a soft laugh. “I’m making tea anyway” she noted “I’ll pour you a cup and you can decide whether or not you want to drink it” she added as she padded past, making her way towards the kitchen.

Luna hesitated for a split second before she followed, quietly taking a seat beside the kitchen table.

Isla busied herself for a few seconds, trying to think of the right thing to say, before the sound of Luna clearing her throat reached her, causing her to turn slightly, her expression soft and curious. “Yeah?” she prodded.

“I just...” Luna stumbled out “I just want you to know that I didn’t...that what happened, or didn’t happen, between me and Gerard, that wasn’t to do with him. It was all me. I don’t know, I guess I’d gotten myself worked up over the wedding, and I just...I made a move on him, but not because I have feelings for him. You know that, right?” she insisted, her eyes wide as they looked up at Isla.

Isla nodded slightly. “I know” she mused.

Luna spared her a slightly dubious look before she let out a soft sigh. “I’m so sorry, Isla” she breathed.

Isla nodded again. “I know you are” she noted “And I know why you did it. I mean, do I wish that you hadn’t? Absolutely. But it’s gone now. It was a mistake, but it’s not like we’ve never made mistakes before, right?” she quipped, the faintest of half smiles pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Luna’s expression brightened a little. “We’ve made quite a few” she quipped.

Isla laughed gently, something which made Luna smile softly before she shook her shook her, allowing her expression to grow slightly more serious again. “You know that Gerard didn’t even hesitate, right?” she asked gently “I mean, I’d barely even leant towards him, and he was out of his seat like it was on fire” she added.

Isla shifted her feet a little before she shook her head, pushing the frames of her glasses back up her nose. “What’s your point?” she asked quietly.

“I just don’t want you to doubt that” Luna quipped “I mean, I know you, Isla, and I know things are getting pretty serious between you guys, and I know what that usually means. I watched you panic with both Sergio and Michael and start having doubts about them, and I don’t want you to have them about him. He’s so good for you, Isla, I don’t even think you know how good he is for you. I know you’ve had your issues, but when he’s around...I think he could be pretty special, no?” she prodded, her voice caught between teasing and tentative.

Isla kept her glance on her feet for a few seconds, mulling over what Luna had said, before she nodded her head slowly, another faint half smile pulling at the corner of her lips. “I think so” she agreed softly.

Luna smiled gently, allowing a few more beats of silence to pass between them, before she cleared her throat. “So” she quipped “My wedding photos...?” she trailed off when Isla let out a soft laugh, insisting that she would be back with them in a second before she stepped out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)