If It Gave Us Time

58: You Weren’t This Happy

“Are you sure that Gerard doesn’t mind doing this for Arthur and Jacob?” Rodrigo asked as he followed Isla along the row of seats, guiding Jacob and Arthur who padded along in front of him. It had been a while, after Isla and Luna had patched things up, a couple of months had passed, and with Barcelona due to play their final home match of the season, Gerard had been quick to suggest that Isla invite her brother and nephews along, something which had made Isla smile a little, more than a little smitten with how keen he was to involved both of their families in their lives.

She had been worried, with him having previously been slightly awkward around her parents, and her having been more than a little awkward around his, she had been worried that they’d both try and shy away from spending time with one another’s families, but Gerard had warmed to it more easily than she’d expected, something which had encouraged her to relax into it a little more.

Isla, who’d been checking the seat numbers, shook her head before she looked up, offering her brother a small smile. “He’s happy to do it” she mused “Besides, aren’t the boys looking forwards to it?” she asked, gently folding down Jacob’s seat for him.

Rodrigo smirked as he sat down. “They might be a little excited” he quipped “I mean, Arthur’s looking forwards to heading down onto the pitch, but Jacob’s just excited to see Gerard again. I think your boyfriend might be his favourite uncle” he quipped, playfully stressing the word ‘uncle’.

Isla felt her cheeks warm before she shook her head, gently bumping her glasses back up her nose.

Rodrigo smirked a little, not missing the blush on her cheeks before he leant over, gently nudging her shoulder. “I’m just teasing you, Isla” he quipped “I mean, I think we both know that you’re going to end up marrying that guy, but...” he trailed off impishly.

Isla rolled her eyes, readjusting her glasses again. “You’re worse than mama, you know that?” she poked.

Rodrigo just shrugged, smirking at her.

Isla shook her head, letting out a soft laugh, before she turned towards the pitch, smiling a little as she watched Gerard warm up the rest of his teammates.

Rodrigo watched her, marveling at her soft smile for a second, before he leant over, poking her shoulder again. “You look happy” he mused earnestly “Honestly, I’d say you look happier than I’ve ever seen you” he added.

“You think so?” Isla asked “I mean, I know how much you liked Michael...” she trailed off as Rodrigo laughed, shaking his head softly.

“Michael didn’t make you this happy” Rodrigo noted “And, whilst I do love teasing you, that’s all I want, baby sister. Gerard’s the best fit for you, anyone can see it” he added.

Isla spared him a shy smile, her cheeks still glowing a soft shade of pink, before she shook her head, something which caused Rodrigo to lean over, offering her shoulder a light squeeze.

~#~
“I’m really going to have to get him something nice to thank him for this, aren’t I?” Rodrigo asked as he stepped up beside Isla, his eyes staring out on the pitch where Jacob and Arthur toddled about, playfully running away from Gerard who trailed after them, a wide grin on his face.

Isla, who was snapping a couple of pictures, lowered her camera slightly before she glanced over her shoulder at her brother, offering him a small smirk. “I’ve got a list of things he loves” she quipped “I am sure that I can help you out” she added.

Rodrigo nodded and opened his mouth to say something, but was stopped as Arthur ran up to him, wrapping his arms around his legs. “Papa” he complained quietly “I need the bathroom” he mumbled.

Rodrigo nodded. “Okay” he mused “Isla, can you keep an eye on Jacob?” he asked.

Isla nodded. “Sure thing” she confirmed.

Rodrigo flashed her a small grateful smile before he took a hold of Arthur’s hand, guiding him through the crowds. Isla watched him walk away before she felt an arm around her waist, something which caused her to shake her head as she turned around, smiling gently up at Gerard who stood behind her, Jacob balanced on his hip. Blinking a couple of times, she took a second to marvel at the sight of Gerard holding her youngest nephew, before she shook her head, clearing her throat slightly.

Gerard smirked a little, not missing the slight blush which had started to creep across her cheeks, before he shook his head. “You OK?” he quipped.

Isla nodded. “You just surprised me” she mused “I thought the two of you were busy. Are you bored of Gerard already, Jacob?” she asked, poking her tongue at Gerard who was quick to roll his eyes.

Jacob shook his head. “We were playing” he announced.

“I saw you” Isla chirped “It looked like a lot of fun” she added.

“It was” Gerard quipped “But I thought maybe we should come over and say hola to auntie Isla. I mean, I don’t think I’ve actually done that yet” he added gently.

Isla shrugged, smiling at him softly. “It’s OK” she mused “I mean, I’m just your girlfriend...” she trailed off as Gerard leant over, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Letting out a soft sound, she stumbled slightly, not expecting the soft kiss, before she steadied herself, smiling gently into the kiss before it drew to a close. Tugging back, she stared down at her feet for a few seconds before she looked up, her cheeks flushing as her blue eyes mirrored Gerard’s. “Hi” she squeaked quietly.

Gerard smiled to himself before he leant over, touching a soft kiss against her forehead. “Hi” he mumbled.

“Gerard” Jacob whined softly “Play” he added, tugging on the defender’s shirt.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of Jacob’s voice, before he nodded his head. “Ok” he mused “Lala...”

“Go” Isla interrupted “I’m sure I’ll catch up with you eventually. I mean, we do live together” she added.

Gerard offered her a slightly dubious look before Jacob tugged on his shirt again, something which caused him to flash her a small smile before he set the toddler back on his feet, allowing him to run a few steps ahead of him before he followed. Shaking her head, Isla watched the two of them for a few seconds before she gently shifted her hand, ghosting her fingertips over the front of the t-shirt that she wore. “I guess I can wait to tell him I’m late a little longer” she murmured to herself, the slightest hint of a smile tugging the corner of her mouth upwards.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)