If It Gave Us Time

64: There’s That Smile

“Are you sure that you don’t want me to give you a lift?” Gerard posed from his spot in the doorway, his eyes watching as Isla padded around the bedroom, getting herself ready. It had been a little while, after they’d shared the news of Isla’s pregnancy with their families, a few weeks had passed, and despite their nerves, things had started to settle down a little more, something which pleased them both, even if they were still adapting to the news that they were only a few months away from welcoming their son or daughter. Slowly but surely, their nerves were transitioning into excitement.

Isla, who’d moved to slip her feet into a pair of shoes, shook her head a little at his question before she turned, offering him an amused smile over her shoulder. “I’ve already got a lift” she quipped “And even if I didn’t, don’t you have somewhere else to be?” she posed.

Gerard shrugged. “It’s just a pre-season medical” he quipped “If I am a little late, no one’s going to mind that much” he added.

Isla shook her head and turned towards a nearby mirror, smiling gently. “Regardless” she quipped “I’ve already got a ride. That’s the beauty of my mother trying to get all of her friends to hire me, it means a lot of people I already know are going to the weddings I’ll be working at” she chirped, gently adjusting the shirt that she wore around her ever-more noticeable bump.

Gerard watched her, smiling a little at the sight of her bump, before he caught her eye in the mirror, something which caused Isla to lift a playful eyebrow. “See something you like?” she teased gently.

Gerard shrugged nonchalantly. “Just you” he played along.

Isla grinned goofily, gently pushing her glasses back up her nose.

Gerard admired her face in the mirror for a second before he stepped up behind her, kissing the back of her neck gently. “Give me a call later” he mumbled, ghosting soft kisses over her skin “I’ll come and pick you up” he added.

Isla nodded. “Sure” she confirmed.

Gerard leant up, kissing the top of her head gently. “Don’t work too hard” he mumbled, his thumb brushing over the front of her shirt.

Isla leant back against him, enjoying their embrace for a few seconds, before she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. Letting out a quiet sigh, she took a half step away from him before she turned around, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “Adios” she mumbled before she quickly gathered her bag, ducking out of the room.

~#~
“I bought you something to drink” Luna announced as she slipped into the seat beside Isla, offering the blonde a slightly concerned smile. She had been on her feet for a while, with the bride and groom having had specific ideas of the pictures that they wanted, it’d taken Isla a while to capture the perfect shots, and Luna was a little worried about her, even if Isla had been quick to dismiss her fussing throughout the day. She still wanted to see her friend take a few minutes to herself.

Isla, who’d been staring down at her phone, startled a little at the sound of Luna’s voice before she nodded, flashing her a grateful smile. “Thanks” she mused “I’ve been meaning to get up and get something” she added.

“What’s been stopping you?” Luna asked.

Isla shrugged. “I’m trying to arrange a lift home” she quipped “But Gerard’s being Gerard” she quipped, shaking her head amusedly.

Luna’s face lit up at the smile that appeared on Isla’s, something which made the blonde shake her head. “Don’t say it” she warned.

“Say what?” Luna prodded “That you and your boyfriend are adorable?” she teased.

Isla rolled her eyes, but couldn’t stifle her smile, something which caused Luna to let out a playful squeak. “I’ve not seen you this loved up in forever” she mused “I mean, I’m thinking the last time I saw you this giddy was maybe just after you and Sergio...”

“Made things official? Had our first kiss? Oh, I know, spent the night together for the first time?”

Both Isla and Luna stilled in their seats before they turned around slowly, glancing up at the tall man who stood behind them, an impish smile playing on his lips. “Sorry” he quipped “I couldn’t resist” he added.

Isla sat quietly for a few seconds, merely staring at him. He looked good, his hair was longer, but still neatly styled, and he’d grown more of a beard, but there no denying that he still looked as handsome as ever, something which made Isla’s cheeks flush as she pulled her stare away, diverting it down towards her lap.

Luna watched her turn away before she glanced up at Sergio. “What are you doing here, Sergio?” she pressed.

Sergio, who’d been watching Isla interestedly, looked up at Luna. “The bride is one of my cousins” he quipped “You met her, Isla. Remember?” he prodded.

Isla shrugged limply. “Maybe” she mumbled “It...uh...was probably a while ago” she added.

Sergio smiled. “It was” he agreed “It’s been too long. You look beautiful, Lala” he added, his voice softening a little.

Isla’s stomach flipped at the tone of his voice before her phone gently buzzed in her hands, something which caused her to glance down at it, almost sighing in relief as she read Gerard’s text. “I’m going to head outside” she announced gently “Gerard’s only a few minutes away” she added.

Sergio’s smile twitched a little at the mention of the defender’s name, but he quickly fixed it, offering her a small nod. “I’ll wait with you” he mused “I was on my way out anyway” he added.

Isla shook her head. “Sergio...”

“I’m going that way anyway” Sergio interrupted.

Isla glanced up at him, trying to think of an excuse, before she let out a soft sigh. “Fine” she murmured “Luna...”

“Buenos noches, Isla” Luna interrupted, offering her a slightly apologetic smile. She could see that Isla didn’t want to be alone with Sergio, the expression on her face made it obvious, but she knew that she couldn’t leave with her, not without Evan who was busy across the room.

Isla smiled back at her feebly before she pushed herself up to her feet. Grabbing her jacket and bag, she draped them over her arm before she started across the room, Sergio eagerly tagging along at her side. Reaching the door, she pushed it open before she stepped outside, shivering a little as the cool evening air brushed her skin.

Sergio watched her for a second, his eyes scanning down her body, before he tilted his head, his stare settling on her bump. “I didn’t see that before” he announced, disturbing the silence which had settled over them.

Isla, who’d moved to wrap her jacket around her shoulders, followed his stare before she shook her head. “I wasn’t hiding it” she mumbled.

“I didn’t say you were” Sergio replied with a smile “I was just saying I didn’t see it before” he added.

Isla rolled her eyes gently, causing Sergio to chuckle. “What?” she enquired.

“You” Sergio replied “I mean, it’s been years, but you...you’re still you. I like it” he added.

“I didn’t ask for your opinion, Sergio” Isla retorted.

Sergio grinned. “It’s never stopped me before, Lala” he quipped “You know me. I never know when to shut up. Don’t you remember me making a complete ass out of myself when I met your parents?” he added boyishly.

Isla didn’t want to laugh, but she couldn’t help it, something which made Sergio laugh too before he took a pace towards her, his fingers gently brushing a few stray hairs back off of her face. “There’s that smile” he breathed, allowing his fingertips to linger on her cheek.

Isla shook her head before she looked up, the prepared retort she had dying on her tongue as her blue eyes mirrored his darker ones. Swallowing, she searched his eyes for a second, before the sound of a car door closing nearby reached her, causing her to quickly jump back. Pushing her glasses back up her nose, she took a few steps backwards before she turned around, her eyes settling on Gerard who’d stepped up behind her, his usual smile stuck on his face. “Meeting me outside?” he quipped “Lala, if I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re ashamed of me” he teased.

Isla shook her head, forcing out a small laugh. “Of course not” she mused.

Gerard stepped a little closer, touching a kiss to the top of her head. “You ready to go?” he mumbled.

Isla nodded.

Sergio, who’d been watching the couple, cleared his throat, sticking a hand out ahead of himself. “We’ve not had the pleasure” he chirped “I’m Dr Sergio Munuera” he added, stressing the word ‘doctor’ a little more than normal.

Gerard tilted his head, recognizing the name, before he stuck his hand out, shaking Sergio’s hand. “Gerard Piqué” he replied.

“It’s good to meet you” Sergio mused “Isla used to mention you all the time when we were together” he added smugly.

Gerard’s expression tightened slightly, but he covered it with a small forced laugh. “I hope she only mentioned the good” he quipped.

Sergio offered him a non-comital shrug, something which made Gerard scoff quietly before Isla gripped onto his hand, tugging him back slightly. “Let’s get out of here” she mused “Buenos noches, Sergio” she added, tugging Gerard a little further away from the other man.

Sergio grinned. “I hope to see more of you, Lala” he mused, flashing a wink that was more for Gerard’s benefit than Isla’s before he disappeared back into the venue.

Gerard’s jaw tightened but relaxed when he turned to Isla, a soft sigh falling out of his mouth. “So” he mumbled “That’s your doctor ex?” he added, trying, and failing, to keep his voice light and cheerful.

Isla nodded. “That’s him” she confirmed.

Gerard just nodded slowly, not quite able to shake the feeling that Sergio was going to become a thorn in his side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)