If It Gave Us Time

66: Feel

Spitting the last of his toothpaste into the sink, Gerard moved to wipe his mouth, a sleepy yawn falling out of his mouth. it had been a long day, after he and Isla had attended the appointment that they’d had with her midwife, he had had a couple of meetings as well as a training session before he had made it home, and he more than ready for the day to be over, even if he hadn’t seen Isla since that morning. He was more than prepared to skip out on spending a little time with her if it meant falling asleep quicker. Wiping his face, he spared a quick look in the mirror to make sure that there weren’t any traces of toothpaste left on his face before he stepped out into the bedroom, stopping himself as his eyes landed on Isla who stood with her back to him, carefully undoing the buttons on the blouse that she wore.

Blinking a couple of times, he felt a faint smile tug at the corner of his lips before he shook his head. “I thought you were still downstairs” he mumbled

Isla, who’d moved to shrug her shirt off of her shoulders, looked up at him as he stepped past her towards the bed. “An early night sounded like a good idea” she mused “And I thought you’d not mind the company. If you’d rather I left...” she trailed off, grinning.

Gerard couldn’t help but smile in return, something which made Isla shake her head before she stepped across the room, pulling one of his drawers open. “I’m going to borrow a shirt” she announced.

Gerard merely nodded, watching her quietly.

Isla felt his stare on her, but didn’t make any move to acknowledge it, instead disappearing into the bathroom for a few minutes before she stepped back out, gently smoothing out the front of Gerard’s t-shirt over her bump. “I can’t quite believe that I am only half way through this pregnancy” she mused “I already feel like I am the size of a house, and we’ve still got months yet” she added, shaking her head gently to herself.

Gerard, who’d been watching her, blinked a couple of times at the sound of her voice before he shook his head. “You look great” he insisted.

“You’re just saying that” Isla replied “Because if you didn’t, there’s a pretty high chance of me crying” she added, settling her glasses onto the end table before she sat down, tucking her feet beneath the duvet.

Gerard shook his head. “You really do look great” he repeated “I mean, I think so, and it’s pretty clear that Sergio does too” he added, trying, and failing, to keep his voice light and playful. They hadn’t talked about it, with both of them having other things to do, they’d parted ways almost as soon as they’d arrived home from the hospital, but still it irked the defender, even if he was sure that Isla had little interest in the other man. He didn’t like the idea of him starting to linger around the two of them.

Isla, who’d moved to pull her hair up into a ponytail, stilled a little at the tone of his voice before she shook her head. “Gerard...”

“I’m sorry” Gerard mumbled, cutting her off “I didn’t mean for it to come out so bitterly” he added.

“But it did” Isla replied “You’re still thinking about this morning?” she asked softly.

Gerard pushed a hand back through his hair, thinking for a few seconds, before he let out a soft sigh. “I know he was trying to wind me up” he mumbled “And I know...I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but is it wrong of me to kind of want to punch his smug face?” he asked, breathing out a slightly awkward laugh.

Isla smiled despite herself before she turned onto her side, looking up at him softly. “I don’t have to work the wedding” she announced after a few seconds of quiet “I mean, I’ve got a couple of assistants, and it’s going to be a pretty small thing anyway. I can...” she trailed off as Gerard turned to look at her, a soft smile on his face.

“What?” she prodded.

“You don’t have to do that” Gerard replied “I mean, yeah, I hate the idea of Sergio being in the same place as you, but I’d never want that to get in the way of you doing something I know you love. He’s an ass, and I’ll never know what you saw in him, but I’d never want that to stop you doing your job. I’ll get over it” he insisted gently.

Isla offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made Gerard smile at her before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against her forehead.

Isla closed her eyes, relishing the soft touch of his lips to her skin, before she felt something in her stomach, something which caused her to let out a soft sound.

Gerard, who’d moved to press kisses against her temple and the top of her head, stilled at the sound before he leant back, a slight furrow in his forehead. “Lala?” he prodded “Everything OK?”

Isla was quiet for a second before a slow smile spread across her face. “Feel” she announced as she grabbed a hold of Gerard’s hand, pressing it to her stomach.

Gerard frowned a little, confused by what she had said and the sudden movement, before he felt something against his hand, something which caused his expression to soften as he looked up, his blue eyes mirroring Isla’s. “What...what was that?” he stumbled out.

Isla chewed on her lip, trying to stifle her smile, before she playfully shrugged her shoulders. “What do you think it was?” she asked.

Gerard just let out a small, awed laugh, something which made Isla’s smile widen a little before she shifted her hand, gently knotting their fingers together. “Sprout says hola” she mumbled “And he or she says that papa ought to stop worrying so much. They’d like to remind you that their mama is...well, she’s been in love with you for a long time, probably longer than she’s ever really known, and she’s pretty happy how things are now. They want you to know that she’d very much like to keep things as they are for as long as possible” she added, her thumb lightly brushing over the back of his hand.

Gerard shook his head before he lifted their hands, allowing him to press a kiss against the back of hers. “You got all that from one kick?” he teased quietly.

Isla shrugged, smiling at him impishly.

Gerard kissed her hand again before he turned it over, allowing him to press a tender kiss to the inside of her wrist. “Papa’s happy too” he mumbled, grinning goofily as the word ‘papa’ fell out of his mouth.

Isla marveled at his soft smile before she leant up, kissing his chin gently before she met his lips, something which caused Gerard to shift a hand to the back of her head whilst the other drifted back down towards her stomach, feeling another soft movement against his palm.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)