If It Gave Us Time

75: You Always Are

Isla opened and closed her mouth a couple of times, trying, and failing, to force any kind of word out of it, before Gerard shook his head, smiling ruefully to himself. “I should...uh...I should probably get up, huh?” he asked, struggling to keep his voice warm and playful. It had been a few moments, after he had gotten the question out, Isla had merely stared at him for a few long seconds, trying and failing to say anything, he wanted to try and play it off, almost entirely sure that the moment hadn’t been the right one. It had been on his mind for a while, after they’d patched things up after Isla’s kiss with Sergio, Gerard had only grown more and more certain that he wanted his future to be with her, but it wasn’t something they’d really talked about, something which was reflected in Isla’s face.

Isla shook her head, gently rubbing her hand up and down Maddie’s back to try and soothe her. “Geri...”

“It’s OK” Gerard interrupted softly, offering her a weak smile.

“Gerard...” Isla trailed off as the sound of the doorbell filled the air, causing her to let out a soft sigh. “That’s going to be my parents” she murmured.

Gerard nodded before he stepped towards her, gently lifting Maddie out of her arms. “I’ll take nappy duty” he mused “You should go and let them in. I imagine your papa’s been dying to meet this little one” he added, forcing another smile onto his face.

Isla’s stomach twisted, not missing how forced his smile was, before she stepped towards him, pressing a light kiss to his lips. “We’ll talk later, OK?” she asked, gently brushing her fingertips against his jaw.

Gerard closed his eyes, allowing her touch to linger for a moment, before Maddie let out another soft cry, causing him to pull back before he stepped out of the room, quietly cooing to Maddie as he tried to soothe her.

Isla watched him out of the room before she let out a sigh, ruing just how the moment had gone. He had left her speechless, with no time to process what he’d asked, she hadn’t been able to force any kind of reaction out of her mouth, and she knew that that meant he’d assumed the worst, even if he had tried to laugh it off.

Taking a couple of breaths to compose herself, she gently bumped her glasses back up her nose before she stepped out of the bedroom, making her way down towards the front door. Hesitating for a few more seconds, she took a little more time to compose herself before she pulled the door open, greeting her parents, and Rodrigo, with the best smile she could muster.

~#~
Quietly sipping on the mug of tea that she had made for herself, Isla spared a glance across the room, briefly catching Gerard’s eye before he turned and looked away, cooing softly over Maddie who sat in his arms. They had been awkward around each other, with a lot left unsaid between them, both Isla and Gerard had spent the morning skirting around one another, and Isla knew that her parents and brother had noticed it, even if they had been distracted the moment that Gerard had bought Maddie downstairs. The looks that they had sent her when Gerard wasn’t looking told her that they knew that there was something up.

Feeling her cheeks warm a little, she took another sip of her drink before she heard someone clear their throat, causing her to look back up again, her eyes landing on Gerard who’d stopped in front of her, his stare sheepishly settled on his feet. “I’ve...uh...I’ve got to get going” he stumbled out quietly “Training” he added.

Isla nodded her head stiffly, a weak half-smile on her face. “OK” she mused “Will you be late back?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head. “I don’t think so” he mused “My parents did say they might pop by this afternoon, though. They didn’t give me a definite time, but...” he trailed off.

Isla breathed out a shaky laugh. “Me and Maddie aren’t going anywhere” she quipped.

Gerard’s face lit up with the briefest of smiles, something Isla was certain was due to her mention of their little girl, before he leant forwards, kissing the top of her head gently. “I’ll see you later” he mumbled before he stepped away, leaving Isla frowning slightly, a little disappointed that he had opted not to kiss her properly.

Biting back a sigh, Isla watched him step towards Maddie, peppering the top of her head with a few soft kisses before he said his goodbyes to her parents, ducking out of the living room.

Isla’s eyes followed him out of the room before she gently pulled her glasses off, allowing her to rub her eyes gently.

“What’s wrong with you?”

Isla, who’d moved to put her glasses back on, jumped a little at the sound of Rodrigo’s voice breaking the slightly uncomfortable silence which had settled over the room after the sound of the front door closing. “What?” she spluttered.

“You and Piqué” Rodrigo clarified “I mean, you’re normally annoyingly cute, and now that Maddie’s here, I thought you’d be more insufferable than ever, but you’ve been weird all morning. So, what’s wrong it with you?” he repeated.

Isla shook her head, smiling feebly. “We’re just tired” she replied.

Rodrigo scoffed. “Sure” he muttered sarcastically.

“Rodrigo” Eva warned, glancing up from Maddie who was happily laying in her arms, sleeping.

“She’s clearly lying” Rodrigo retorted “You can’t honestly believe that’s just...”

“I’ve just had a baby, OK?” Isla interrupted sharply “We’ve been parents for a matter of days, and it’s wearing us out, but I am sorry, Rodrigo, if we’re not living up to your expectations. I mean, you were such a delight when Arthur was first born” she added sarcastically.

Rodrigo blinked a couple of times, a little surprised by the outburst, before he swallowed, nodding his head slightly. “Sorry” he mumbled.

Isla exhaled softly before she shook her head, flashing her brother a small smile. “I’m sorry” she replied “It’s just been a busy few days since Maddie came along, and both me and Gerard are a little worn out, but we’re OK, I promise you” she added.

Rodrigo offered her a slightly uncertain look, not quite sure that he believed her, before he nodded. “If it helps, it does get easier” he noted “When Arthur came along, I am pretty sure that Cara and I almost came to blows countless times because we were both nervous and stressed and tired, but as Arthur got a little bigger, things got easier and we were better prepared when Jacob came along. You and Gerard are perfect for each other, Isla, everyone in this room would attest to that, and I have no doubt that you’re going to be fine. You guys always are” he added, his voice warm and reassuring.

Isla’s expression relaxed a little before a small, genuine smile appeared on her lips, something which made Rodrigo smile at her in return before he turned towards his mother, extending his arms out ahead of him. “Can I hold my niece now?” he asked.

Eva nodded and settled Maddie into his arms, something which made Rodrigo shake his head. “She’s gorgeous” he enthused.

“Isn’t she?” Daniel cooed “Just like her mama” he added dotingly.

Isla smiled sheepishly before she turned her stare down toward her lap, listening to her family’s fussing as her mind went back to the question that Gerard had asked her that morning and an answer that she could give to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)