If It Gave Us Time

77: Somehow, That Doesn’t Surprise Me

“You did put more nappies into the bag, didn’t you?” Isla fussed as she stepped into the bedroom, tucking a clean onesie into the half packed nappy bag that sat on the bed.

Gerard, who was sat at the foot of the bed, happily cooing to Maddie, looked up at the sound of her voice. “Hm?” he hummed.

“Nappies” Isla repeated “You put more in the bag, didn’t you?” she posed, her voice more than a little flustered. It had been a while, after Maddie had arrived, Isla’s midwife had advised her to take it easy for a few days, and after a week cooped up in the house, she was more than a little anxious to get out, even if they were only heading over to her parents’ for dinner. A small part of her couldn’t wait to see somewhere that wasn’t her home.

Gerard quirked a small grin, not missing the tone of his voice, before he dipped down, pressing a soft kiss to the top of Maddie’s head. “Your mama’s fussing again, princesa” he chirped playfully.

Isla rolled her eyes. “Gerard...”

“I put new nappies in the bag” Gerard interrupted as he looked up at her “And even if I hadn’t, I imagine that your mother’s probably rushed out to buy some since we told her that we planned on going tonight. We’ve packed enough clean clothes and bottles for the next week. We’re fine, Lala, really” he insisted, offering her a small comforting smile.

It wasn’t new, since Maddie had arrived, Isla had appeared a little nervous on occasion, and Gerard wanted to reassure her, already knowing how good she was with the little girl. It still felt a little odd, with Maddie only having arrived a little over a week previous, he was sure that neither he nor Isla was quite used to having her around, but they were getting there, even if there were moments where they both seemed a little less than sure of themselves. They were slowly, but surely, adapting to having their daughter around.

Isla offered him a dubious look before she shook her head, gently pushing her glasses back up her nose. “I’m sorry” she mumbled.

“You don’t have to apologise” Gerard mused as he reached a hand out towards her.

Isla took his head, a faint smile on his face. “You sure?” she quipped “I mean, I know I’ve done a lot of fussing since she came along and I am sure that that’s probably got on your nerves. You can say so, I promise I won’t hold it against you too much” she teased as she sat down beside him, her fingers gently messing with his.

Gerard watched their fingers for a moment before he lifted up her hand, allowing him to press a soft kiss against the back of it. “You’re a madre now” he mumbled against her skin “I think you’re probably allowed to fuss a little, but you do know that you’re doing a wonderful job, right?” he added.

“You really think so?” Isla asked softly.

Gerard didn’t hesitate in nodding, another reassuring smile on his face. “You’re great with her” he mused “And she clearly adores you, I mean, not as much as she adores me, but...” he trailed off playfully.

Isla pushed his shoulder playfully. “You were being so nice then” she complained playfully, unable to stifle her gentle smile.

Gerard took a second, marveling at the smile that had spread across her face, before he gently squeezed her hand. “You’re doing great, mi amor” he mused gently.

Isla glanced down at their hands, her cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink, before Maddie let out a soft sound, causing both of her parents to turn to look at her. Chewing on her lip, Isla watched the little girl stir for a few seconds before she shook her head, letting out a soft laugh.

Gerard, who’d been watching Isla, tilted his head. “What are you laughing at?” he posed.

Isla shrugged. “I don’t know” she mused “I mean, I guess I still can’t quite believe that she’s actually here” she added.

“I would have thought that the amount of times we get up in the night would make it feel very real” Gerard teased.

Isla rolled her eyes, but smiled despite herself, something which made Gerard lean over, kissing the side of her head gently. “Come on” he mumbled into her hair “If we’re late, we’ll never hear the end of it from your mother. Maddie or no Maddie” he added, smirking against her temple.

Isla nodded before she shuffled back to her feet, lifting Maddie’s bag up onto her shoulder.

Gerard watched her for a moment before he mimicked her action, pushing himself up to his feet before he grabbed a hold of Maddie’s carry cot, following after Isla as she made her way out of the bedroom.

~#~
“Maddie’s sleeping” Isla mused as she stepped back into her parents’ dining room, retaking her seat beside Gerard who looked away from his plate at the sound of her voice, offering her a small smile. it had been a good night, despite Isla’s fussing before they’d left their home, the dinner with her parents and Rodrigo had gone better than they’d expected it would, and it pleased Gerard to see her a little more relaxed.

Eva, who was sat at the end of the table, smiled. “That didn’t take long” she mused “She clearly takes after her mama. Isla was a delight when it came to putting her to bed” she added.

Gerard quirked a smirk. “That’s definitely the Isla in her” he quipped “I was a nightmare” he added.

“Somehow, that doesn’t surprise me” Isla quipped, smiling up at him dotingly.

Gerard rolled his eyes playfully before he dipped forwards, pecking the end of her nose gently.

Rodrigo, who was sat on the other side of the table, scoffed beneath his breath, something which made Isla tilt her head. “Problem, Rodrigo?” she chirped brightly.

Rodrigo rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything, something which made his mother frown. “Rodrigo?” she pressed “Is something wrong?” she added.

Rodrigo glanced around the table before he shook his head, his eyes softening as a few tears appeared in them. “Sorry” he murmured “I just...I guess I am not in the mood for these two and their lovey-dovey act. My...uh...my marriage ended” he stumbled out, his voice breaking.

The entire room fell silent at his announcement and lingered that way for a few long seconds before Daniel cleared his throat. “What happened?” he asked tentatively.

Rodrigo smiled bitterly as he lifted a hand, wiping a few tears off of his face. “Cara...she’s been having an affair with some guy she works with” he managed to get out “He finally convinced her to leave me and move in with him. She and the boys were...were gone when I got home from work” he added.

Isla shook her head. “Rodrigo...”

Rodrigo shook his head, cutting his sister off. “Please” he mumbled “Don’t” he added.

Isla swallowed, but nodded her head, falling quiet as Eva rushed out of her seat, wrapping Rodrigo in a tight hug. Rodrigo tried to keep his composure, but only lasted a few seconds before he turned into his mother’s hug, crying softly on her shoulder.

Gerard watched the two of them for a few seconds before he gently shuffled his seat back, something which caused Isla to look up at him, a soft look on her face. “Geri?” she murmured.

“I’ll take Maddie home” Gerard replied “You ought to stay. I’ll see you in the morning?” he asked.

Isla hesitated for a second, briefly contemplating arguing with him, before she leant up, hesitating slightly before she pressed a quick kiss against his lips. Gerard held her close for a few seconds before he quietly excused himself, leaving Isla to turn to her brother, her stomach aching as she watched him cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)