If It Gave Us Time

79: I Hope Our Daughter Gets That Smile

“So?” Isla squeaked as she padded into the living room “How do I look?” she added, her fingers self-consciously readjusting the hem of her dress.

Eva, who was quietly fussing over Maddie, looked up at the sound of Isla’s voice before she quirked a small smile, watching as Isla fidgeted with the material. It had been a while, with Maddie having only been born a matter of weeks previous, time that had been just about Isla and Gerard had been limited at best, but with Christmas approaching rapidly, the two of them had been invited to a party that Luna was hosting, an invitation that they had hesitantly accepted, even if it had taken a little nudging from Isla’s mother. She knew that a night out was something they needed, even if they didn’t know it themselves, she knew that some time for them as a couple, rather than as mummy and daddy, could only do them good.

Trying to stifle her amused smile, Eva looked her daughter up and down for a few seconds before she shook her head. “Is this the first dress you put on?” she asked.

Isla shrugged. “I might have tried a couple more” she replied “Why? Is it that bad?” she pressed, her expression slightly panicked.

“It’s gorgeous” Eva mused “I was just teasing. You disappeared upstairs over an hour ago and you chose a dress I’ve seen you wear countless times, I wondered what you were doing up there” she added, turning her attention back towards Maddie.

Isla shook her head before she shuffled towards the couch, plopping into the seat beside her mother. “I wanted something comfortable” she murmured “I mean, I know it’s stupid, I had a baby only a matter of weeks ago, but things aren’t quite back to what they were, and I don’t really want to put on a dress that highlights it. It really looks Ok?” she asked shyly.

Eva didn’t hesitate in nodding, a motherly smile on her face. “You look gorgeous, Isla” she mused gently “You always do” she added.

“You’re my mama” Isla replied as she leant her head on her mother’s shoulder “You have to say that, don’t you?” she added.

Eva kissed the top of her head. “Maybe” she mumbled into her hair “But it’s easier to say it when it’s true. You look stunning, baby” she added.

Isla closed her eyes, smiling gently for a few seconds, before she heard Gerard’s footsteps heading down the stairs, causing her to sit back up, her fingers gently tucking her hair back off of her face. “Are you finally ready?” she quipped, bumping her glasses up her nose.

Gerard, who’d been pulling a jacket around his shoulders, flashed her a playful smirk. “You’re actually ready?” he quipped “I just assumed you were hiding underneath the pile of clothes that you left on our bed” he added, offering her coat out towards her.

Isla rolled her eyes before she shuffled back to her feet, taking the coat out of his hands.

“She looks great, doesn’t she, Gerard?” Eva chirped.

Gerard, who’d moved to peek at Maddie who was stirring happily in her Moses basket, glanced up at the sound of his name before he turned around, glancing at Isla for a few seconds before his face lit up. “She always does” he quipped as he turned back to Eva, offering her a bashful grin.

Isla, who’d been adjusting her coat around herself, smiled to herself, her cheeks flushing a soft pink before she turned around, stepping a little closer to her mother. “You don’t mind staying here, do you?” she asked “We’ve finally got Maddie settled into a routine and we’d rather not mess it around” she added.

Eva shook her head. “I don’t mind at all” she mused “Arthur and Jacob are at home with your brother, and the noise is a little unbearable. I am more than looking forwards to a quiet night with my favourite little girl” she added, smiling down at Maddie.

Isla followed her stare, briefly contemplating asking how her brother was doing, before she felt Gerard’s hand on her back, something which made her nod before she dipped down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of Maddie’s head. “I’ll call a little later” she mused as she stood back up “And when we’re on our way home. I’ve made up a couple of bottles, they’re in the fridge. The diapers are in the nursery with all of her clothes. I’ve left a clean onesie on the edge of the crib in the nursery for her to wear when you put her to bed. If you need anything else...”

“I’ll text you” Eva replied comfortingly.

Isla opened and closed her mouth, a little surprised by the interruption, before she quirked a bashful smile. “I was talking too much, wasn’t I?” she asked.

Eva just smiled up at her, something which made Isla shake her head before she took a step back, gently taking a hold of Gerard’s hand. “We’ll see you later, mama” she mused, gently tugging Gerard along behind her.

Eva waved at the two of them. “Have fun, you two” she mused.

~#~
“Is she asleep yet?” Isla asked as she pulled her coat a little more around herself, trying to ward off the cool December breeze that brushed past the balcony that she stood on. It had been a while, since they’d arrived at the new apartment that Luna and Evan had rented for themselves, a couple of hours had passed, but with Gerard distracted by a group of Evan’s work friends, Isla had taken the opportunity to sneak outside, wanting to check in with her mother and Maddie.

Holding her phone against her ear, she listened to her mother’s reply before she felt a light touch against the top of her head, something which caused her to turn her head slightly, smiling softly as she recognized the sleeves of Gerard’s jacket around her waist. “She didn’t give you any trouble?” she asked into the phone, messing with his fingers.

Gerard smiled at her question and kissed her head again. “Of course she didn’t” he mumbled into her hair “Our baby’s an angel” he added.

Isla nudged his ribs gently, something which made Gerard smirk, teasingly kissing a space behind her ear. “I know I am fussing” Isla mumbled into the phone “I just...I know that...yes, mama, I will. See you later” she added, stuffing her phone back into her coat pocket.

“Maddie OK?” Gerard mumbled against her skin.

“Fine” Isla replied “Just like she was an hour ago when I called. My madre’s polite, but I think I am probably starting to wind her up now” she added.

“Doubt it” Gerard replied “Your mother’s always been just as bad as you. Do you not remember how often she called when you used to stay over at my place when we were kids?” he added, gently turning her around to face him.

Isla laughed before she leant forwards, resting her head on his chest. “Don’t let me become her” she mumbled playfully.

“Never” Gerard played along.

Isla giggled before she leant back, looking up at him. “What are you doing out here anyway?” she asked “The last time I saw you, you were talking to a group of Evan’s friends about football. You bore them to death?” she teased impishly.

Gerard scoffed playfully. “We both know I am a delight” he quipped.

Isla feigned thought for a second, something which made the defender roll his eyes, before he shook his head. “I had something I wanted to give you” he mused “But if you’re going to be mean...” he trailed off as he took a couple of tears away from her, waiting for Isla to reach out and stop him as she duly did.

“I’ll be nice” Isla replied “Now, what’d you get me?” she asked with a grin.

Gerard let out a laugh. “I hope our daughter gets that smile” he gushed.

Isla blushed, but rolled her eyes, trying to hide it. “Come on, Piqué. Put up or shut up” she joked brightly.

Gerard laughed again before he reached into his jacket, removing a small square box from his inside pocket.

Isla’s expression softened. “Gerard...”

“I know” Gerard interrupted softly “I know we’re not planning on telling anyone soon, especially not so quickly after what happened with your brother and his wife, but I still thought I ought to get you one. I mean, I did propose” he added with a nonchalant shrug.

Isla laughed. “I remember” she mused.

“I know you’re not going to wear it for a while” Gerard mused “But you’re going to wear it eventually. At least this way, if you hate it, I have time to return it” he joked.

Isla rolled her eyes gently before she stepped towards him, gently taking the box out of his hand. Settling it in her palm, she stared at it for a few long seconds before she flipped the lid open, her eyes widening a little as she took in the ring which sat inside. “Wow” she squeaked.

“Too much?” Gerard asked anxiously.

Isla shook her head, looking back up at him. “It’s gorgeous” she mused “I’m just amazed that it was your choice. You can make some pretty questionable fashion choices” she added with a grin.

Gerard snorted out a laugh, something which made Isla laugh too before she shifted her hand, holding the box out to him. “Put it on me” she announced.

Gerard quirked an eyebrow. “Really?” he asked.

Isla nodded. “I want to wear it” she mused “For a couple of hours at least before we go home” she added.

“And when Luna inevitably sees it?” Gerard prodded.

“We swear her to secrecy until we find the right moment to tell everyone else” Isla replied with a shrug “It our news, she won’t tell anyone unless we tell her that she can” she added.

Gerard offered her an uncertain look before his face lit up with a small grin. Taking the ring out of the box, he slipped it onto her finger before he pulled her hand towards his lips, kissing the back of it softly as he marveled at how perfect the ring looked on her finger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)