If It Gave Us Time

81: Don’t Hide Your Happiness On My Account

“Is everything in the car already?” Gerard asked as he stepped into Maddie’s nursery, his stare landing on Isla who stood beside the changing table, getting the little girl dressed. It had been a little while, after Isla’s mother had learned of their engagement, a few days had passed, and with Christmas having arrived, they were due to head to Isla’s parents’ home for the day, something they were hesitantly looking forwards to.

It had been the plan for a while, with Maddie arriving only a matter of weeks before the holidays, Isla’s parents had been quick to suggest that they host that year, not wanting to put too much strain on the new parents, but with the two of them attempting to keep their engagement under wraps, they were slightly apprehensive about going, even if they were sure that Maddie would be the centre of attention. They didn’t want the focus to fall on the two of them. They knew they’d have to tell people eventually, it was good news and people were likely to want to celebrate it, but they wanted to take their time, wanting to share it on their own terms when they felt that the moment was right.

Isla, who’d been putting a pair of tights on Maddie, looked over her shoulder at him. “I think so” she mused “The presents were in the bag I left next to the counter in the kitchen and that was next to Maddie’s bag. I don’t think we need to take anything else, do we?” she asked, turning back to the baby.

“I don’t think so” Gerard replied as he stepped a little further into the room “You two nearly ready to get going?” he asked, kissing Isla’s shoulder gently.

Isla smiled a little at his touch before she shrugged, glancing back at him. “Depends” she mused “Do you think I need to choose a different outfit for her?” she asked, gently straightening out the red tartan dress that the little girl wore.

Gerard, who’d closed his eyes as he leant against her, blinked them open before he looked down at Maddie, a doting smile softly blooming across his face. “No” he mumbled “She looks perfect” he added.

Isla turned and smiled up at him softly. “You always say that” she quipped, wrapping her arms around his waist.

Gerard wrapped his arms around her in return. “What else would I say?” he quipped “Our daughter is perfect” he added proudly.

Isla quirked a playful eyebrow. “Even when she’s screaming down the house at three in the morning?” she teased.

“Even then” Gerard replied with a grin.

Isla looked up at him for a second, marveling at the doting expression he wore, before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. Gerard let out a soft sound, a little caught off guard by the kiss, before he leant back, pressing his forehead to Isla’s. “What was that for?” he mumbled softly.

Isla shrugged, gently trailing her fingertips along the line of his jaw. “Do I need a good reason to kiss you?” she replied.

Gerard flashed her another small smile before Maddie let out a soft sound, causing Isla to turn back to her, carefully lifting her up into her arms. “Will we do, Gerard?” she quipped as she turned back to Gerard, smiling at him shyly.

Gerard let out a bashful laugh before he nodded. “Of course” he mused “You’re my girls” he added.

~#~
“Another?”

Isla, who was swirling the last of her champagne around the bottom of her glass, startled a little before she looked up, her stare settling on Rodrigo who sat on the arm of the sofa, a bottle of champagne clutched in his hands. It had been a while, after she, Gerard and Maddie had arrived at her parents’ home, a few hours had passed, and with dinner only a matter of time away, the house was still busy, something which made Isla smile. there were a lot of people, her parents, Gerard’s parents and brother, Rodrigo and his boys, and she liked it, even if it had made settling Maddie down for her nap harder. She liked how busy and excited the house had been.

“I probably shouldn’t” Isla replied.

“It’s Christmas” Rodrigo replied “And your boyfriend is driving home. I think you can have one more glass without the world ending” he added, tipping a little more liquid into her glass.

Isla rolled her eyes, a playful smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth. “You’re a bad influence, big brother” she teased.

Rodrigo merely grinned as he slipped into the seat beside her, allowing a few seconds of quiet to pass between them, before he shook his head, guiding his stare down towards his lap. “So” he murmured “I was talking to Ma a couple of days ago. She mentioned that you might have something you want to tell me” he added.

Isla sipped her drink, smirking a little over the rim of her glass. “She really is the worst person for keeping secrets” she muttered ruefully.

Rodrigo snorted out a laugh. “You didn’t know that?” he prodded “Don’t you remember her spoiling your surprise 21st birthday party?” he added.

Isla laughed gently before she shook her head, pushing her glasses up her nose. “What’d she say to you?” she asked after a few seconds.

“Just that” Rodrigo replied “That you had something you wanted to tell me, but that you were worried about upsetting me, and that I should tell you that, no matter what it is, I am not going to be upset by it, which is true, by the way. Whatever it is, Lala, just tell me. Don’t hide your happiness on my account” he added, his smile softening a little.

Isla looked at him, her eyes searching his for a few seconds, before she lifted a hand, gently tugging a necklace out from beneath her sweater.

Rodrigo frowned momentarily before he spotted the ring that hung from the end of the chain, something which caused him to let out a soft laugh. “He did it” he announced.

“You knew he was going to do it?” Isla squeaked.

Rodrigo shrugged. “I might have been in the room when he asked papa for his blessing, but that was months ago. Before Maddie was born” he explained.

Isla shook her head. “You didn’t think to give me the heads up?” she asked.

“And ruin your boyfriend’s surprise?” Rodrigo countered “Never. I just can’t believe that he actually got through it. You should have seen him talking to papa. Mr Confident Footballer looked a lot like he was about to wet himself” he joked.

Isla laughed. “Really?” she squeaked.

Rodrigo didn’t hesitate in nodding, grinning. “I really thought he’d pass out” he mused “But he got there. How long ago did he ask?” he asked.

“A few weeks ago” Isla mused, her voice softening a little.

Rodrigo’s expression softened a little as he nodded his head slowly. “And you didn’t want to tell me because of...?” he trailed off.

“We wanted to wait anyway” Isla mused “We’d just had Maddie when he asked, and we didn’t need more fussing around us, but then...”

“Then my wife left me” Rodrigo finished for her, seeing her hesitate.

Isla exhaled softly before she nodded. “I didn’t want to follow up your news with the news that Gerard has asked me to marry him” she confirmed softly.

Rodrigo nodded slowly again, taking in her words, before he reached his hand out, gently squeezing hers. “You don’t have to worry about that” he murmured.

“Rodrigo...”

“What happened with Cara and me, it’s shitty” Rodrigo interrupted “It’s broken my heart, and that’s not going away lightly, but that isn’t going to stop me being absolutely elated for you and Gerard, Lala. You two deserve each other, and that’s the highest compliment I can pay to him, that he deserves to be loved by my wonderful little sister, and you deserve to be loved by him. I’m thrilled for you, Isla, how could I not be? This is freaking huge!” he exclaimed a little too loudly.

“What’s huge?” Montserrat, who was sat nearby with Eva, asked.

Rodrigo grinned sheepishly. “Sorry” he mumbled as he stood up, tugging Isla up next to him “Isla’s got news” he added a little louder.

Gerard, who was sat across the room with Arthur and Jacob, smirked a little, watching as Isla’s cheeks flushed a familiar shade of pink. “What news?” he chirped impishly.

Isla glared at him, not missing his smirk, before she shook her head, gently pushing her glasses up her nose. “Gerard and I...uh...we’re engaged” she stumbled out quietly.

“Engaged?” Montserrat squeaked above the few soft gasps that filled the room.

Isla nodded, smiling shyly. “Engaged” she confirmed.

Gerard grinned proudly before he stood up, stepping close so that he could place an arm around his fiancée’s waist. “We’re getting married” he enthused.

“I’m getting a brother!” Rodrigo chirped exuberantly.

Gerard and Isla laughed before their parents stepped towards them, wrapping them both in excited hugs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)