If It Gave Us Time

82: I Guess We’ll Have To Say It More Often

Tucking Maddie’s baby monitor in her pocket, Isla quietly pulled the bedroom door to, more than a little glad that the baby had finally settled down for the night. It had taken her a while, after she, Maddie and Gerard had made it home, she had taken the baby upstairs almost immediately, but trying to settle her had been more of a job than Isla had been expecting, something which had resulted in her spending more than an hour in the bedroom, trying to soothe the little girl’s grumbles.

Bumping her glasses back up her nose, she padded down the stairs before she made her way into the living room, her expression lighting up as she spotted Gerard sat on the floor beside the Christmas tree, looking through the pile of presents which sat unopened beneath it. “I thought you’d probably start without me” she announced quietly.

Gerard, who’d been peeking at a gift label, looked up with a smile. “It’s not as fun opening them without you” he mused “Is Maddie asleep?” he asked.

“At last” Isla replied as she moved to sit down opposite him “She was a little bit grumbly, but she fell asleep in the end. I have no idea how long it’ll last, though. She had a pretty long nap this afternoon” she added.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine” Gerard replied “I mean, if she’s inherited anything from her mama, it’s her love of sleeping” he added with a grin.

Isla, who’d moved to pick up one of the presents, glared at him for a moment before she shook her head, moving to offer the gift out towards him. “To you, from my parents” she mused.

Gerard nodded his head and pulled the package out of her hand, tearing the wrapping paper away before he shook his head, smiling amusedly. “They bought me socks” he announced, showing them off to Isla.

Isla, who’d moved to pour herself a glass of wine, smirked. “That might have been my idea” she announced “I mean, my mama came to me a few weeks ago, and asked what they could get for you, and I threw out some comment about not knowing before I suggested that they could just get you socks because I swear, every time you put on a pair, they’ve got a hole in” she added, shrugging innocently as she offered the other wine glass out towards the defender.

Gerard shook his head, laughing gently. “What’d they get for you?” he asked.

Isla shrugged before she leant forwards, collecting the gift wrapped in paper that matched the one that Gerard had just unwrapped. Pulling it into her lap, she tore at the paper before she pulled out a gift, showing it off to Gerard who tilted his head, smiling gently. “Is that us?” he asked as he reached his hand out, taking the silver photograph frame out of Isla’s hand.

“Probably” Isla chirped “I mean, it’d be weird if it wasn’t, wouldn’t it?” she added playfully.

Gerard merely offered her a look before he turned his attention towards the picture, smiling at it softly. It was an old one, in the picture, he and Isla were clearly in their teens, and clearly oblivious to the shot being taken, but there was no denying that they looked happy in it. Gerard was beaming, the blue and red of his Barcelona kit instantly recognizable, and Isla was smiling too, her arms wrapped opened wide as she prepared to wrap them around him.

Isla watched him for a couple of seconds, not missing the nostalgic smile that had brightened his features, before she looked down, smiling a little at the picture. “We’re going to be getting these for years” she murmured softly “I am pretty sure that my mother’s got an attic full of old pictures, and she knows how much I love photographs in frames. Birthdays, Christmases...wedding anniversaries” she added, her blue eyes meeting Gerard’s for a split second before she dropped them back to the photo, her cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Gerard lifted his hand, lightly brushing his fingertips over the reddened skin, something which caused Isla to look up, smiling bashfully. “Sorry” she murmured “I guess I just...it’s just a little weird to say out loud still” she added.

Gerard cupped her cheek before he shrugged, smiling at her warmly. “I guess we’ll just have to say it more often then” he quipped, settling his glass of wine down onto the floor.

Isla laughed, leaning into his hand a little more. “You’re such a dork” she mumbled.

“Damn right I am” Gerard retorted proudly “And you love that about me” he added.

Isla kissed his palm softly. “It’s one of many things I love about you” she mused.

“You want to list them?” Gerard teased “I mean, we’ve got time...” he trailed off impishly.

Isla rolled her eyes before she shuffled the photo frame out of his lap, allowing her to climb into it, her arms settling around his neck. “You make me laugh” she murmured, kissing the side of his jaw tenderly “Sometimes with you, sometimes at you, but it’s something you’ve always been remarkably good at. You make me feel more confident, even though that’s not always apparent, you do. Your cheerfulness is contagious. You’re intelligent, and thoughtful, romantic and kind and...” she trailed off as Gerard used his hand to tilt her head back, capturing her in a soft kiss.

Letting out a soft squeak, she kissed him back gently before he pulled away, smiling up at her softly.

“Why’d you stop me?” Isla mumbled softly.

Gerard shrugged. “You were being sweet” he replied “And it made me want to kiss you” he added.

Isla shook her head, resting her forehead against his. “I love you” she murmured.

Gerard just smirked, something which caused Isla to push his shoulder playfully. “You always ruin the moment, don’t you?” she teased, attempting to shuffle away from him.

Gerard, however, was quicker, carefully gathering her in his arms before he leant her backwards, settling her carefully on the floor.

Isla shook her head, looking up at him. “What are you doing?” she laughed.

“Not ruining the moment” Gerard replied before he leant down, capturing her lips in another soft kiss.

Isla relaxed into it, kissing him softly for a little while before he pulled back slightly, pressing soft kisses against the side of her neck. Isla sighed happily, relishing the soft feel of his lips against her skin, before he shifted, his foot accidentally knocking the glass that he’d left behind over with a quiet smash. The two of them jumped, surprised by the sound, before Gerard peeked over his shoulder, letting out a soft laugh. “That’s going to leave a stain” he mused.

Isla, who’d sat up slightly, nodded. “I’ll go and grab a cloth to clean it up. You should go and...” she trailed off as Gerard kissed her again.

Giggling a little, she pulled back before she shook her head. “We need to clean it” she mused, pulling herself back to her feet.

“We’ll just buy a new rug” Gerard replied quickly, following after her.

“And what about the rest of these presents?” Isla asked “You were the one who suggested we wait to open them” she added.

Gerard shrugged. “We can wait a little longer” he replied “I mean, I’ve kind of got my heart set on unwrapping something else” he added with a suggestive smile.

Isla let out another laugh. “That was so cheesy” she quipped.

“You still loved it” Gerard replied boastfully.

Isla rolled her eyes before she shook her head, her expression softening a little. “I’m still a little different” she murmured softly “I mean, Maddie’s only a few weeks old and things...I’m not quite back to what I used to be” she added quietly.

Gerard watched her for a second, his eyes searching her face, before he stepped closer to her, his fingers gently tucking her blonde hair back off of her face. “It’s still you” he murmured softly “Pre-pregnancy you, during-pregnancy you, post-pregnancy you, I love them all” he added, kissing her forehead softly.

Isla closed her eyes at his touch, taking in a deep breath, before she grabbed his other hand, gently twining their fingers together. “I suppose the presents can wait” she mumbled.

Gerard smiled against her forehead before he took a step away from her, gently guiding her out of the living room and up the stairs towards their bedroom where he pushed the door closed with a soft thump.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)