If It Gave Us Time

83: It Would Have Been Years Ago

Carefully pulling the duvet back, Gerard slipped back into the bed, immediately cuddling up to Isla who was still curled up against her pillow, her soft snores filling the air. It was early, with Maddie having started to stir a little before six in the morning, Gerard had been quick to get out of bed, not wanting to disturb Isla, but with the little girl’s nappy changed and her having had a feed, he’d settled her back down for a while, wanting to make the most of the time they had to themselves. He knew that it wouldn’t last, after they’d shared the news of their engagement with their families the previous day, both of their mothers had joked that they’d be over to start planning as soon as possible, and whilst Gerard had known it was a joke, he knew that they couldn’t put it off forever. Sooner or later, he and Isla were going to have to think about wedding plans.

Stifling a yawn into his hand, he settled an arm around Isla’s waist before tugged her a little closer, something which caused a sleepy smile to light up Isla’s face. “I thought Maddie had gotten you up” she mumbled, not opening her eyes.

“She did” Gerard replied “But she’s sleeping again now, so I thought I could make the most of it and come back to bed. You want me to go?” he asked, leaning forwards to press a soft kiss against the back of her neck.

Isla let out a contented sigh, relishing his soft touch, before she shrugged, cuddling a little closer to her pillow. “I suppose you can stay” she teased.

Gerard rolled his eyes before he leant towards her against, ghosting another soft kiss over her skin. “How nice of you to allow me to stay in my own bed” he played along “I’m so lucky to have such a thoughtful girlfriend” he added sarcastically.

“Fiancée” Isla corrected quickly, still not opening her eyes.

Gerard, who’d moved to kiss the bare skin at the top of her back, laughed against her skin. “Fiancée” he mumbled.

Isla smiled gently at his touch for a few seconds before she rolled onto her back, clutching the duvet to her chest. “What’s gotten into you?” she mused “I mean, you’re usually pretty affectionate, but the last few days have been a lot, even for you. Is everything OK?” she asked, her tone caught between soft and teasing.

Gerard quirked an eyebrow, grinning impishly. “Are you complaining?” he asked.

Isla reached up, pushing her fingers back through his dark hair. “Of course not” she mused “Just checking in” she added.

Gerard looked down at her, his eyes searching her face, before he shrugged, rolling onto his back. “I’m happy” he noted “I mean, Maddie’s here and she’s amazing, and you and I are more in sync than ever. Things are just going well, Lala, and I am determined to enjoy it. Is that such a bad thing?” he quipped, turning his head to look at her.

Isla met his eyes before she shook her head, a soft smile lighting up her face. “Of course not” she mused “If anything, I kind of like this you” she added impishly.

Gerard scoffed. “You didn’t like me before?” he played along.

Isla just shrugged, something which made Gerard roll his eyes before she leant into him, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. Gerard lifted his hand, cupping the back of her head gently before the sound of a phone buzzing filled the air, causing him to pull back with a soft sigh. “It’s barely past seven in the morning” he mumbled as he leant back, flopping against his pillow.

Isla, who’d moved to put on her glasses, smirked a little as she looked at him before she turned towards her phone, scanning the text that her mother had sent to her.

“What is it?” Gerard prodded.

“My mama” Isla replied “She’s asking if we’ve thought about an engagement party” she added, typing out a reply.

Gerard sighed, something which made Isla shake her head, smiling at him over her shoulder. “You can’t be surprised” she chirped “I mean, you’ve known my mother since we were kids. You know how she is. Now our engagement is common knowledge...well, there’s nothing to stop her fussing” she added lightheartedly.

Gerard merely rolled his eyes, something which made Isla shake her head before she placed her phone back down onto the end table. Turning back around, she shuffled a little closer to him before she kissed him. Gerard closed his eyes, allowing the kiss to last for a few seconds, before Isla ended it, pulling away just far enough to rest her forehead against his. “I can’t promise she won’t be a pain” she murmured softly.

“Lala...”

“She’s always been the same, Piqué” Isla interrupted, stealing another brief kiss “And she’s almost certainly going to overstep the mark, but it’s not going to change the fact that it’s up to us. We’re the ones who are getting married, me and you, and if we want to do it in a fast food restaurant or in the most elegant church or country house, she’s just going to have to go along with it, and she will. Our happiness means a lot to her” she added, kissing the corner of his mouth sweetly.

Gerard couldn’t help but smile a little, something which made Isla grin triumphantly as she pulled away from. “I knew I could make you smile” she chirped.

Gerard rolled his eyes. “She’s really going to be that bad?” he asked.

Isla nodded. “No doubt” she mused “But your mama will be just as bad, no? I mean, her baby boy’s going to be getting married” she added.

“They two of them are going to be a force to be reckoned with” Gerard commented.

“And Luna too” Isla contributed “She’s been itching to help me with wedding planning since I was with...the doctor” she added, not wanting to use Sergio’s name.

Gerard smirked a little, amused by her decision not to use Sergio’s name, before he leant forwards, kissing her forehead lightly. “It’ll be worth it, though, won’t it?” he mumbled “I mean, all of their fussing, all of the planning, it’s going to end with the two of us married, and that’s worth it, no?” he added.

Isla nodded, smiling up at him softly. “Of course it is” she mused “Providing, of course, that my mother’s fussing doesn’t change your mind about marrying into my family. She will drive you crazy, I can practically guarantee it, and if the prospect of being her son-in-law is too scary for you...” she trailed off, her voice playful, but there was an edge to it, something which caused Gerard to press another soft kiss against her forehead.

“Nena” he murmured “If your mother was going to scare me off, it would have been years ago. I can put up with her if it means I get you” he added tenderly.

Isla closed her eyes, smiling goofily. “You’re so brave” she teased.

Gerard smirked a little, like he had thought of an amusing retort, but opted against it, instead just kissing her forehead again, knowing that he could put up with a lot of things if it meant that he and Isla could end up together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)