If It Gave Us Time

87: You’d Never Have Kept Up

“You did buy more nappies, didn’t you?”

Gerard, who was sat on the couch with Maddie, rolled his eyes, smiling amusedly down at the baby who sat in his arms. It had been a while, since he and Isla had gone out to celebrate his birthday, a couple of weeks had passed, and with Isla having made plans to go out for the night with Luna and a couple of their other friends, she had spent the last hour fussing, something which never failed to amuse Gerard. She often did it, whether it was him who was staying home with Maddie or either of their parents, she had a habit of worrying before she left, and it always made the defender smile, knowing that for as long as he had known her, Isla had always been the type to worry when she didn’t have anything to worry about.

Rolling his eyes, he listened to the sound of Isla’s hurried footsteps for a few seconds before she appeared in the doorway, her shoes clutched in one hand. “Did you hear me?” she asked.

“I did” Gerard replied “I just decided not to answer the question you’ve asked me five times since I got home. Yes, I bought more nappies, they’re upstairs in the nursery” he added impishly.

Isla, who’d moved to perch on the arm of the couch so that she could slip her shoes on, turned to look at him, a shy smile on her face. “I’m being annoying, aren’t I?” she asked.

“No more so than usual” Gerard quipped playfully.

Isla breathed out a soft laugh before she shook her head, turning back to her shoes. “I’m sorry” she mumbled “It’s just...it’s been a while since I’ve been out with my friends, and I guess I am more nervous about it than I thought I would be. That’s dumb, isn’t it?” she asked, messing with the fastening of her shoe.

Gerard quirked a small smile, watching her for a few seconds, before he tilted his head, making sure that he caught her eye. “Why are you nervous?” he asked.

Isla shrugged. “I don’t really know” she mumbled “It’s just been a while, I guess” she added.

Gerard’s smile softened a little before he shifted in his seat, leaning over so that he could press a soft kiss against the top of her head. “That’s not going to matter” he murmured “They’re your friends, Lala, and I am sure that they’re looking forwards to spending time with you. Besides, between cute pictures of your adorable daughter and fiancé, and asking them to be bridesmaids, I’m sure it’ll be fine” he added, his voice caught between soft and playful.

Isla smiled a little, peeking up at him. “You think pictures of you and Maddie are the only things that make me interesting?” she asked.

“Of course not” Gerard retorted “I mean, you’re plenty of fun, but it doesn’t hurt to have them up your sleeve. I mean, have you seen the two of us?” he added, gesturing between himself and Maddie.

Isla rolled her eyes, but did let out a soft laugh, something which caused Gerard to smile before he leant over, kissing her head again. “You’ll have a wonderful time” he mumbled into her hair.

Isla closed her eyes, relishing the soft touch of his lips against her head, before she slowly pulled away, reluctantly climbing back to her feet. “I need to go” she murmured.

Gerard nodded. “You sure you don’t want a lift to the restaurant?” he asked “If you just give me a few minutes...” he trailed off as Isla carefully leant in, pressing a soft kiss against his lips.

Closing his eyes, he allowed the kiss to linger for a few seconds, before Isla pulled away, offering him a soft, goofy smile. “I’ll be fine” she mused “Luna’s outside and she’s promised to take good care of me” she added.

Gerard quirked a small smile before Isla leant in again, kissing his lips softly before she pressed a soft kiss against the top of Maddie’s head. “I’ll see you later” she cooed as she stepped out of the room, offering him a little wave.

Gerard smiled after her before he turned down to Maddie, his fingers gently smoothing out the onesie she wore. “Guess tonight’s just you and me, Sprout” he mumbled playfully.

~#~
Gently pushing the front door closed, Isla leant back against it, closing her eyes for a few seconds before she stepped across the hall, settling down at the foot of the stairs. She hadn’t expected to be gone for long, with Luna and their other friends having work the next day, she had expected that they’d only be gone for a couple of hours, but with it being the first time that they’d gotten together since she and Gerard had gotten engaged, a quiet dinner had quickly grown into something bigger, keeping her out until a little after midnight.

Carefully sitting down on the step, she closed her eyes for a few seconds, enjoying the house’s quietness before she felt something move at her side, causing her to peek an eye open, grimacing a little at the smirk that lit up Gerard’s face. “Piqué” she complained.

Gerard shook his head, laughing quietly to himself. “I have to admit, I didn’t see this coming” he quipped “Are you drunk, Isla?” he prodded playfully.

Isla rolled her eyes. “It’s Luna’s fault” she mumbled “I mean, I was expecting dinner, but the champagne? I told her that it wasn’t necessary, they already toasted to us at their Christmas party but...she’s a terrible influence on me” she added.

Gerard grinned at her, pushing some of her blonde hair off of her face. “I bet you didn’t put up much of a fight” he quipped “I’ve heard stories about you two. The way Rodrigo tells it, you were nightmares when you were in your twenties” he teased.

Isla shook her head. “You shouldn’t listen to my brother” she muttered “He’s probably only trying to make me look bad” she added.

“It’s not working” Gerard quipped “I mean, the more he talks about it, the sadder I am that I missed it. I think I would have liked that Isla” he added, his voice softening a little.

Isla, who’d taken to messing with the bottom of her shirt, looked up at the tone of his voice. “You think so?” she asked.

Gerard didn’t hesitate in nodding, a shier smile on his face. “I think so” he quipped “I’m sorry I missed her” he added.

Isla’s eyes searched his face for a few seconds before she shook her head, offering him a soft smile. “You’d never have kept up with me” she cooed.

“You don’t think I can be fun?” Gerard countered playfully.

Isla shrugged, grinning at him coyly. “You could probably convince me” she flirted.

Gerard breathed out a soft laugh, a little amused by how forwards she was, before he shuffled back to his feet, tugging her up alongside him. “I think I could” he quipped “But some other night, eh?” he added.

Isla scoffed playfully. “Boring” she teased.

Gerard shrugged. “We can’t both be the fun one” he played along.

Isla merely grinned at him before she leant forwards, pressing her lips to his for a few seconds before she pulled away, padding up the stairs with Gerard trailing behind, a familiar smirk on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)