If It Gave Us Time

91: Unless I Get A Better Offer

Kicking her feet gently, Isla leant forwards slightly, resting her head against the cool metal of the railing which stood ahead of her. She had snuck out a while ago, with her mother having been distracted by some tiny hitch in the day’s plans and her bridesmaids having been whisked away to have their hair and makeup done, she had been left to her own devices for a while, and she had opted to make the most of the balcony that her hotel room had, wanting to make the most of what little calm she knew there would be before the day really got started. It had passed quickly, the time between her dress fitting and the wedding day itself seemed to have passed in the blink of an eye, and whilst the nerves that had arisen in her the first time she had pulled on her dress hadn’t faded entirely, they had reduced thanks to Gerard.

Closing her eyes, she took a few seconds to enjoy the sensation of the cool metal against her skin before she heard a small clatter behind her, causing her to turn around, frowning a little at the small stone which had landed on the balcony behind her.

“I didn’t want to yell”

Isla, who’d moved to pick the stone up, smirked a little before she turned, her eyes settling on Gerard who stood out on a balcony a couple down from her own, his hands stuffed into the pockets of the pair of shorts he wore.

“I was trying to be subtle” he added with a shrug.

“You’ve never tried to be subtle before” Isla retorted.

Gerard laughed, shaking his head a little. “I might be a little scared of your mother” he admitted.

Isla laughed, but didn’t say anything, allowing them to lapse into a comfortable silence for a few moments before Gerard spoke up again. “Where is she?” he prodded “Your mother. I assumed she’d be attached to your hip until you’d made it up the aisle” he added, his voice warm and teasing.

Isla rolled her eyes. “She ducked out about ten minutes ago” she noted “I didn’t really hear what she said, but I think there was some kind of hitch. She told me not to worry, so...” she trailed off, gesturing to the quiet balcony that she sat on.

“And you’re not in there demanding to know what’s going on?” Gerard asked amusedly “That’s not like you, Lala” he added.

“She’s trying to keep me calm” Isla replied “She’s barely let me lift a finger all morning. She even got up with Maddie before she dropped her off with my papa” she added.

“Is it helping?” Gerard asked as he sat down on his own balcony, glancing at her through the railings.

Isla was quiet for a second, thinking over the question, before she offered him a small smile, nudging the frames of her glasses back up her nose. “I still kind of feel like I am going to throw up” she noted “But I think I would feel worse if I was the one dealing with all the little hiccups. Between my mother and Meghan, things should be pretty smooth, shouldn’t they?” she prodded.

Gerard didn’t hesitate in nodding his head firmly. “Of course” he insisted.

“You’re just agreeing with me so that I won’t worry, aren’t you?” Isla replied with a knowing smile.

Gerard grinned, but didn’t reply, something which made Isla shake her head, messing with her glasses again. “Are you nervous?” she asked.

“A little” Gerard replied without hesitation.

“Are you regretting not just eloping?” Isla enquired.

Gerard laughed, shaking his head. “No” he answered “For a lot of reasons, I don’t regret that. One, I kind of like being on speaking terms with our families and if we’d eloped, that would have changed. And two, I know that this is something you want, nerves or not, you want the fuss. You’ve wanted it since we were kids” he added.

Isla ducked her head, smiling down at her lap gently.

Gerard watched her, taking a second to marvel at the expression on her face, before he shook his head. “Your hair’s falling over your face” he announced.

Isla blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of his voice, before she gently reached her hand up, sheepishly pushing her slightly messy blonde hair back off of her face. “Thanks” she mumbled with a smile.

Gerard just grinned back at her, allowing a second of comfortable quiet to pass between them, before the sound of the sliding door behind him opening reached his ears, causing him to turn slightly, glancing at his mother who stood in the doorway, tapping the watch that she wore on her wrist. Taking in a breath, he nodded his head towards his mother, wordlessly asking her for a few more moments before he gripped onto the railing, pulling himself back up to his feet. “Lala?” he called.

Isla, who’d been messing with the material of her shirt, looked up at the sound of her name. “Hm?” she asked.

“I have to go” Gerard noted.

Isla nodded her head slowly.

Gerard stuffed his hands into his pockets, watching her for a few seconds, before he quirked a small smile. “You are going to be walking up that aisle later, aren’t you?” he prodded impishly.

Isla shrugged, mirroring his smile playfully. “Unless I get a better offer” she quipped.

Gerard snorted. “I’m the best offer you’re going to get, Vasquez” he played along.

Isla giggled, nodding her head in agreement. “You’re probably not wrong about that, Piqué” she retorted “I’ll see you up there, yes?” she asked.

Gerard didn’t hesitate in nodding. “Of course” he confirmed “I can’t wait, Isla” he added.

Isla’s lips quirked a little, something Gerard caught before he tilted his head. “What are you grinning at?” he asked.

Isla waved a hand. “It’s stupid” she noted “You only ever call me ‘Isla’ when you’re serious about something, even though I’ve told you I hate being called ‘Lala’ more times than I care to count. Hearing you call me by my actual name...it sounds funny to me now” she added, shaking her head amusedly.

“I am serious” Gerard retorted “I cannot wait, but if you want me to call you Lala...”

“Go and get dressed, Piqué” Isla interrupted, giggling.

Gerard grinned before he offered her playful salute and a wink. “Adios, Lala” he cooed as he made his way towards the sliding door, stepping past his mother who shook her head amusedly. Shaking his head, he made his way through the room before he reached the wardrobe, grinning up at the neatly pressed suit that sat there, reminding him just how close to seeing Isla make her way up the aisle.