Higher

The Humdrum Life of Zacky Baker: Part One

"Can I get you anything, sir?" I ask, holding a pen and pad of paper. The man and his wife are normal everyday people. He's properly a business man and she's an office woman I think but who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's secretly part of the CIA and she's a russian spy whom he fell in love with. That would be exciting, wouldn't it? A forbidden love story hidden away because they fear that their countries would tear them apart.

"Did you even hear me, boy?" The man grumbles, looking at me. I blink and look at him.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ask, a little embarrassed.

"I said I'll have a black coffee and some lemon pie," He grumbles, looking to his wife who has a disapproving look on her face. "Dear?"

"Black coffee and a skinny muffin," She states as I write down their orders and pour the coffee. "Young men today,"

They both tut as I walk over. Definitely not star crossed lovers then. I put the order in the kitchen and walk to the next table.

"Hi, what can I get you today?" I repeat, tapping my pen against my pad. The man looks up from the menu and grins at me.

"Ah you see I would love to answer that but I don't understand this menu at all," He replies, smiling and holding up the menu to show me. I rise an eyebrow. "Makes no sense at all,"

I smile a little and take it out of his hands before turning it up the right way.

"Better?"

"Much. How did you do that?" He asks, taking out a pair of glasses and looking at me.

"It was upside down, sir so I turned it the right way up," I reply. "Now that you can read it, would you like anything on the menu?"

"Yes. I will have a slice of... Ooo ... pumpkin spiced pie! I love me some pumpkin spice pie. Does it come with cream? I hope it does," He grins excitedly. "I'll have some pumpkin spiced pie with cream and Oh do you do pots of tea? I love a pot of tea,"

"Yes, we do," I reply. "Do you want milk with your tea?"

"I will indeed and sugar," He grins. I write it down and put the order in the kitchen before getting his pot of tea, milk and sugar. "Ah brilliant. Thank you, um.. sorry do you have a name?"

"It's Zack,"

"Zack?"

"Yeah,"

"Short for Zachariah?"

"No, Zachary but I prefer Zack," I reply. "Will you need another cup?"

"Ah no. Just me. On my own... again..." He smiles a sad smile and I frown before walking off.

"Hey, am I good to take my break?" I ask the boss. He nods and I walk out to the tea man and sit down. He looks up as he sips his tea.

"You're not from town are you?" I ask, looking at him. His fashion sense is terrible. He's wearing an orange komodo, bright blue dick shorts, white socks and sandals. His hair is bright orange and it's all spikey and big.

"I'm revisiting some of my favorite places before I go..." He smiles sadly.

"Go where?" I ask, curious.

"Ah you wouldn't understand," He replies.

"What do you mean on your own again?" I ask, looking straight into his eyes. They're the brightest blue I've ever seen. "Why are your eyes so sad? They look too old for someone so young,"

"Ah but I'm not young," He smiles. "As for your question, I was travelling with my friend but now they are gone and once again, I'm alone,"

"You're a traveller?!" I gasp, a little too excited. He looks at me with surprise. "Sorry,"

"Never apologize for passion, Zack," He smiles. "Yes I'm a traveller,"

"That must be great. Seeing the world," I smile dreamily. He laughs.

"You have no idea,"

A Few Days Later

"A pot of tea and a slice of pumpkin spiced pie with cream," I smile as I put it down in front of him. He looks up and smiles again as I sit and join him. "So yesterday we got up to you going to Spain, Jim,"

"Ah yes. Spain. Been there several times but my most recently was simply just to watch the world go by," He smile fondly. "But what about you, Zack?"

"I haven't travelled yet," I reply, resting my hand on my chin. "But I want to. I want to see everything the world has to offer. It's why I work here and play at the bars. Saving up every penny I can,"

"So you can see the world," Jim replies. I nod. "Zack?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna be leaving tonight," He replies. I frown. "Come with me?"

"What?" I gasp. "I can't just walk out of my job and run away with you,"

"Why not?" He asks.

"I barely know you and I don't have the money to do it anyway," I reply, looking down, causing me to notice a shiny light coming from his hand. "What's that light?"

"Ah... remember I said I was revisiting places before I go... well I'm starting to go," He replies, looking me. I look back at him. "Think about it, Zack. Why just settle for one world when you could see all of space and time?"

"What?" I gasp but he gets up.

"If you decide, come and find me outside Chain Reactions in a tour bus. It will have a skull with wings on it. Well..I say me... it will be the new me... this me... this face will be gone,"

"What do you mean?" I gasp but he leaves the cafe and me in a confused state.

~Time Skip~

I wonder pass Chain Reaction after playing for another night and I find myself wondering about what Jim said. Why settle for one world when I could see all of space and time? I go to walk on but I find myself stopping again before turning on my heel and walking to the back of Chain Reaction. Parked in the coach area was a black tour bus with a skull with wings on it. I knock on the door and frown when nothing happens.

"Jim?" I shout as I knock again. "Jimmy?"

The door suddenly opens and a man I've never seen stares at me then he breaks into a big smile.

"You decided to come then?"

"Where's Jimmy?" I ask as he stretches.

"I'm right here," He grins, causing me to look at him like he's a mad man. He's not Jimmy. "Oh right. New face,"

"New what?" I ask. "Where is he?"

"I'm right here," He replies. "Need proof?"

He points at me.

"You're Zack Baker, short for Zachary. You're 24 years old, you work in a cafe during the day and play guitar during the night, you have no pets, no commitments and hardly any friends, you want to see the world and are saving up every penny to do so. You're left handed and your favorite color is green, your guitar is a beautiful custom made model that is a cherry red color that your father got you for your 21st but you're self taught and have been playing since you were 11. We sat and talked about our life stories the last few days," He grins. I step close and look at him. His hair is raven colored, his skin paler and he looks skinny but his bright blue eyes are still the same. Sad and ancient.

"Jimmy... but how?" I ask. He grins and opens the door to his tour bus.

"Come and have a look inside... I'll promise I'll explain everything..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok so I started writing a Doctor Who/A7X crossover ages ago on DA and I decided to rewrite it. What you think?