Higher

The Humdrum Life of Zacky Baker: Part Two

"Oh my god!" I gasp as I run around the tour bus and back inside. "What the?! How?! It's bigger on the inside?!"

"Yep," Jimmy grinned, leaning against some weird looking control panel.

"Wait... this is a space ship?!" I gasp, looking at him. "Does that mean... no,"

He grins at me with a knowing smile.

"No way," I gasp. He chuckles. "You're an alien,"

"You're clever aren't you?" He grins.

"Are you from Mars? Or are you like the alien from Alien. Is that why you change your body? Are you gonna take over me?"

"What? No but yes, I am an alien," He grins, putting his jacket on a seat. "My real name is the Rev and I offer it all to you, Zacky Baker. Time and space, the future and the past, this world and new worlds. The stars and the universe!"

"Why me?" I ask, crossing my arms. "I'm just a cafe assistant and a guitarist. Why not offer this to someone who's actually important?"

"One. Never say that again. You're important. Two, can you imagine what other people be like with this? The president of America with time travel. Bad idea. and finally, because you're a dreamer. You're open minded and want to see the world. Now I'm thinking one trip to the future, one trip to the past and one to a new planet and I can have you back in time for dinner,"

"Seriously?! You want little old me to travel with you?" I gasp. He grins, nods and turns on the engine. "This is awesome. Wait, what do you mean one trip to the past and one to the future? I thought this was a space ship?"

"Ah it is a space ship," He replies before smiling. "It just also happens to be a time machine,"

I stare at him. A big grin spreads on his face as he throws his jacket on the chair then sits down.

"So before we go anywhere, ask your questions," He smiles. I sit down.

"So you're alien with a time machine that's also a space machine," I reply. "So what type of alien are you?"

"I'm a Time Lord," He replies.

"Which is?" I ask. He thinks for a moment. "I'm mean you look human,"

"Well, only on the outside. I have two hearts and a very long lifespan. You see that's how my face changed. I 'regenerate' when I get mortally wounded or just too old so when that happens, I just... change my face.. my body.. even my personality changes,"

"That's quite the change," I reply. "So you just change?"

"Well, there's usually a bright light and a lot of pain and screaming but then new face," He grins. "As for my machine, she's called a Tardis. Stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space. I can literally go anywhere in space and time. The only place I can't go is fixed points of time and alternative universes,"

"Is a fixed point in time that can't be changed?"

"Exactly," He grins.

"So you've travelled with others before? What happened to them?"

"Time. Some were lost, others left," He mumbles sadly.

"And your home?"

"My home?"

"Yeah. Where are you from?" I ask but he gets up and shrugs.

"Ah some little planet. Nothing important," He grins. "Now where would you like to go first?"

"The past, the future and one planet right?" I ask. He nods. "Past first?"

"Well, where do you want to go then?"

"The 1950s. I've always wanted to go to the 1950s," I gasp, excited. He grins manically then pulls a few switches. "Wait. Can I ever go in the past? What if I kill my grandfather?! What if I step on a butterfly?"

"Why would you do anything like that?"

"I wouldn't-"

"Then you should be good," He grins. "So 1950s? Oh, I know! Do you like Disneyland?"

"Yeah but I never been," I reply.

"Well, in 1955, Disney opened a theme park in California.... so wanna go to the opening day?" He grins. I feel myself smile.

"Damn right!"

"That's the spirit!" He grins, flicking a bunch of switches and pressing some buttons. The bus shakes and begins to move. "Have a look out that window. Just don't open it,"

He points to the bus window. I walk over and look. There's swirls of colours and clouds.

"What is that?"

"The Time Vortex. Best not get caught outside of it," He walks over to me and puts his arm round my shoulders. "So Disneyland right?"

"Fuck yeah,"