Never Say Never

Burn

"Damnit, where is she?" Dean questioned impatiently after we had been waiting in the car for a good half hour already to meet Mrs. Tran.

"She'll be here. Mile marker 96 was kind of the halfway mark," Sam assured him. I myself became a bit fidgety. Maybe it was because I was once again stuck in the car with my unrequited lover who kept glancing over at me every so often though the rear view mirror. It was nerve wracking.

"Cas, can I have a word with you outside?" Dean demanded out of nowhere, seeming a bit upset about something. I figured it had to do with their return or experience down in Purgatory. I knew he had blamed himself for not pulling Cas out and it hit him hard. Their relationship had always been a bit closer than the one Sam had with Cas so I can imagine they still had some things to talk about that Sam and I wouldn't understand. After all, we still had no idea how Cas was even here when he clearly didn't make it out with Dean. Someone had helped him. But who?

“Is everything okay between you and Dean?” Sam asked which took me by surprise. I was so engrossed in my thoughts and emotions that I realized I wasn’t paying attention to keeping them buried inside. So it was most likely evident there was tension between the two of us.

“Well it depends on what your definition of okay is,” was all I could think to respond with.

“Well I think that I was clearly correct on my assumption of you having a crush on my brother and he’s probably got you frustrated but try not to be too hard on him. He cares a lot about you and is already upset with knowing that you’re in some kind of trouble I myself don’t know about yet.”

“How would you know?” I blurted that question out before I could stop and think about what he just said.

“Hailey, he’s my brother. You don’t think that him and I talk?” My heart fluttered in my chest at the thought of knowing that he talked about me when I wasn’t around.

“Well yes I know you talk all the time but I didn’t think he would talk about me.....”

“Well he does. More than you know. He just needs time to gather his thoughts and process what he’s feeling since he was taught for so long to not feel anything . Attachments in this line of work brings too mich liability so he’s learned to shut everyone else out. He went from feeling nothing to becoming overwhelmed with things,” he explained and I knew he was right. But what did he mean by being overwhelmed with things? Did he have feeling for me?

“I thought I was over him but...my stupid self let something slide and now I’m stuck in the rut...”

But our conversation was halted as a pair of headlights glimmered through the back of the car window both of us instinctively hopped out. The white sedan came to a screeching halt an out popped the frantic mom of our prophet friend.

"You can do this can't you? You can get him back?" She blurted practically out of breath as she walked to the trunk of her car.

"How did Crowley even find you?" Dean began to interrogate and she shook her head in guilt.

"Oh I hired a witch and she ratted us out," she admitted and we all exchanged looks of disbelief.

"A witch!? Why did you hire a witch?" It was Sam's turn to ask the questions and I could tell he was a bit angered at this news. This was no surprise to me as Mrs. Tran tended to act irrationally without fully thinking things through.

"To make demon bombs of course," she argued as if we should have known the reason ourself and she handed a small black notebook to Sam. "These are Kevin's notes."

"Do you have any idea where Crowley may have taken him?" I asked in hopes she had something for us to go off of and rescue Kevin.

"No but this guy might." She popped open her trunk to reveal a demon nonetheless bound and gagged.

"Now that was a smart move," I complimented and she shot me a wicked grin.

"Anything to get Kevin back."

"Well alright then. Let's talk," Dean directed towards the squirming culprit with his knife in hand.

Sure enough, after some torture, Dean was able to get the coward to spill the beans and we were back on the road again. Sam had actually decided to drive with Mrs. Tran to make sure nothing happened to her along the way which gave me some breathing room to sit in the back with Hershey. Castiel had taken the opportunity to sit with Dean up front. We had a bit of a drive to go but Dean calculated us arriving by daybreak.

Part of me begged for sleep but I was terrified because I felt that I was letting myself be in a vulnerable state around Dean. He had good intentions but being that my feelings were so strong for him it was hard for me to hear his honest words. So with sleep eliminated from my options of things to do to keep myself busy, I plugged in my headphones and listened to music. One of the few things that kept me sane.

Although it was too late to think about now, I began to feel like I should have sat this one out to avoid any unnecessary encounters with Crowley. But Kevin needed our help and I'd look like an awful friend if I didn't help.

What if Crowley told Sam and Dean about my forsaken deal with him before I had the chance to explain myself? The very thought made me tense up and scream inside.

Well Hailey, you had PLENTY of chances to explain your sad mess and you decided to keep it all boxed up inside instead. Crowley didn't care about my feelings and was simply going through with this circus idea because it was amusing to him without a doubt. I prayed that Dean could actually find a way out for me..once he actually knew what was going on. That was my only chance to make something out of all this hurt for him. I always had to go for the guy I couldn't have. Always.
Maybe I had a better chance with Cas?

Who am I kidding? He is a warrior of God and was programmed with no emotions. I’d be a moron to think an attractive angel would view me as anything more than an acquaintance. Not to mention, in a few months I'd be a demon anyways. All this mind battling with myself was exhausting and after an hour of resisting sleep, my eyelids that began to weigh down like heavy anchors finally gave in and I was out cold.