Never Say Never

The Only Exception

"I made a deal with Crowley when I was 12. Christmas Day to be exact..." I started and I could already feel my eyes swelling and my throat became dry. Dean and Cas had joined Sam at this point, making the process even more difficult. But I continued on.

"My mom had kidney cancer. she had tumors on both kidneys and there was no way of getting rid of them without removing the entire kidneys and you can't live without a kidney...my dad was always gone and I didn't want to be left alone--I was willing to do anything to heal her. I had seen demons before. So after some research I found out how to summon a cross roads demon... Crowley was still making deals at that time. So he made me a deal. And I knew that after ten years, I would have the hell hounds come after me to pay my dues so I changed the terms to marry him instead and gave me fifteen years instead of ten. After I made the deal....she was of course healed----but then they discovered a brain tumor and she died anyways----he lied to me but my part of the deal still had to be held because he had healed her kidney cancer as requested despite knowing about her brain tumor...of course he didn't tell me. And I have spent the rest of my years searching for a way out....through every line of the contract. There's no way out."

At this point, I was in tears. I had never revealed my burden to anyone ever and the topic of losing my mom was so sensitive to me it hurt more than losing my dad. I was young and didn't know any better but Crowley knew exactly what I was getting into but took advantage despite that. I couldn't help but think to myself that if I had known angels had truly existed...if I had known Castiel before I could have asked him to properly heal her and never made a deal with anyone. But it was too late to think about that now.

"Hailey....calm down, it's going to be okay," Sam brought me into a tight hug while I continued to sob and shake uncontrollably.

"No it's not. I'm going to spend the rest of my life a demon and be married to a man I hate," I cried like a little girl. Maybe if I had told them sooner I would have had time to get out of this mess.

"Hailey I stand true to my promise. I will not let anyone hurt you, let alone Crowley,” Dean’s voice caused me to suddenly feel extremely exposed and vulnerable with his attention on me. I didn't want him to think I was weak and overly emotional so I managed to pull my nerves together and wipe my face dry of tears.

"I can't talk about this anymore...please," I begged, hoping they could understand and drop the subject for the time being. As always, Cas just stood at a distance and analyzed me with his intimidating crystal blue eyes that sent a chill down my spine.

Without another word, I walked past them and took my usual seat in the back of the Impala with Hershey waiting for me patiently. After a few minutes, they piled into the car and we were back on the road again. It was a rather silent drive aside from the radio playing Dean's usual station.

Sam kept himself busy scrolling through some article on his phone and Castiel gazed out the window every so often. I found myself shifting my weight in my seat uncomfortably, unable to find a position to allow myself to close my eyes and relax.

"I'm not sure if this will help but you can use my shoulder if you'd like to rest more comfortably," Castiel offered, seeming a bit unsure by his own suggestion. I shook my head and declined his offer.

"I'm okay, thanks though. You're the one who needs more rest," I pointed out while pulling out my hair tie and letting my hair fall down my back in an attempt to relieve the headache I had been dealing with for the past hour.

"I am resting by sitting here. I don't sleep. You do and sleep will help you lower your blood pressure and stress level."

"Please don't tell me you can read that from looking at me," I grumbled under my breath before plugging in my headphones to tune into Pandora in hopes of some music to help the time pass. But then a sudden wave of guilt swarmed over me as I thought to myself and realized that Castiel had simply been trying to be nice. He did nothing wrong to you. Stop being selfish!

Using my peripheral vision, I could see that his attention had shifted to the scenery flying behind us out the window. I don’t know why this situation felt awkward to me but it did. But I wasn’t going to reject his kindness so I leaned over and rested my head on him like he insisted me to. Being that he wasn't expecting me to do that, I felt his body tense up for a few seconds before relaxing again. I closed my eyes and exhaled deeply, trying not to let my emotions overrun my thoughts.

Aside from any life threatening situations I had been in the past, this is the closest I've ever been to him. It felt strange being so close to someone who once had so much power. But my time of freedom was running short so the least I could do was feel a little content to be around someone who tried to care about me.

"Are you comfortable?" Castiel whispered to me through my buzzing thoughts after some time. I didn't dare look up at him being so close...

"More than you know," I replied with a small smile on my face. "Thank you for your kind gesture ,” I whispered to him quietly before letting the music do its job of putting me at ease.

When I was younger I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
Broke his own heart and I watched
As he tried to reassemble it
And my momma swore that she would
Never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
id never sing of love if it does not exist

Darling you are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception……..


********