Silent Talk

Chapter One

He looked up at the trees swaying from the wind and followed the droplets of water fall down past him. It was like he could hear each individual drop around him even as they poured down. People passed and laughed. He wasn't tired, he lay there more so to take everything in rather than rest. It was wet but for some reason he could barely feel it.

She stood waiting at the step, her hat's brim tugged down incessantly by the rain. Tears ran down preemptively, awaiting whichever emotion proceeded. He curved the corner quickly, still drenched, but not wasting a single moment to meet her eyes. She knew right away. They said something quick before embracing, a usual exchange every time they met.

Next was his mother, of course she also had to hear the good news. It wasn't far for him to reach her. He came in dragging all the wetness with him, he apologized quickly and took no time to explain his excitement as he hung his coat, he looked down in embarrassment and still disbelief. He looked up. They met, but something wasn't right. He had seen those eyes only a handful of times before. The anguish in her eyes burst anger in his. He looked over to his fathers room. She clung to his arm but nothing would stop him. Her voice was silenced by the destructive thoughts clouding up inside him. The bedroom door was an easy one to shove open. The old man laid still, asleep, so calm that even this subconscious act seemed to mock him. Then he approached slowly in a last effort to calm. Insults couldn't help but spew out of him, he had wished so long ago to finally release them but the chance never came. Insults turned to yelling, still he would not respond. He stopped.