Status: Active.

Secret For the Mad

iii.

As soon as Hayley pushes the front door to Zac’s home open like she was instructed to do, she was met with the sound of music drifting throughout the entire house. It was smooth, catchy in a way, and it made the corners of the small girl’s lips turn up.

She followed the sound to its source, and found Zac leaning way too far back in a chair while strumming a guitar. He seemed to be in the zone, and so Hayley decided to quietly maneuver through the mess of cords and instruments to a couch pushed up against the wall. He didn’t take notice her presence until she was settled on the couch, purse set on the ground. Immediately, the younger smiles and stops playing, calloused fingers coming to rest over the worn strings.

“Hey, Hayles!” His voice is full of excitement, and she can tell that this means a lot to him just from that, “Thanks for coming today.”

Before she can get a word in, he continues, leaning forward in the chair so that he can place his guitar on the stand where it belongs. He swivels the chair around and says jokingly, “Taylor didn’t demand to supervise you this time, huh Spongebob?”

The name takes her by surprise, eyes widening for a split second before she’s laughing. Her cheeks are a soft pink, reminding Zac of a peach. The small girl shakes her head, reaching up to shyly tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Wow, thats an old one,” She laughs again, “No, he took Alf to…”

There’s no need for her to continue the sentence, Zac knows this. He nods sharply, and then forces the smile to stay on his face. Just thinking about how Hayley has to share custody of her dog makes not only him mad, but also Taylor. Not to mention it’s probably so disheartening to the blonde.

“Hey, no, I understand,” He cuts her off, and then he’s standing and making his way over to the couch she’s settled on. He plops himself down right next to her and then threw his arm around her shoulders.

“Fuck that guy, Hayley. When Alf comes back, we’ll have a party. Maybe we can trick Taylor into eating a dog treat again.”

There isn’t any room for Hayley to get sad right now, Zac’s joke sending her into a fit of giggles as she recalls the time she had tricked the curly-haired man into eating a dog treat when he was trashed, saying it was just a dry cookie. She really wanted to doubt he would do it again, but… he wasn’t that smart when he had downed a couple of drinks.

“I’ll make sure to buy an extra one when I go to the store,” Hayley reassures her friend, leaning into him. They may not have been the best friends in the universe just yet, but they were old friends and she trusted him deeply - there was comfort in just being next to the people you trusted and loved most.

“Good. I hope we don’t accidentally start a prank war,” There’s a hint of mischief in the younger’s voice that elicits an eye roll from Hayley, her mind telling her that those words were a warning. She was not going to get in the way and she was definitely not getting involved in whatever war was started between those two children.

“I’m sure that’s what you’re hoping for,” Is her sarcastic response, followed by, “So, why don’t you show me that music you were working on?”

The excitement from earlier is clear in Zac’s eyes and in his actions. He jumps up off of the old couch and rushes back over to his chair, where he almost falls in the process of sitting down. The computer in front of him comes to life, and so does a part of Hayley’s heart when he begins to talk about all of the songs that are in progress, his voice full of pride.

Maybe good days still existed.