Sparrow Lane

Before

"What the hell just happened?" Elena whispered.

I tried the door, but it wouldn't open. "I don't know," I said, turning to look at her and Max. "But it's stuck."

"I guess you have to stay," Max said, but he sounded unhappy about it. "Good for us," he murmured. He flicked the light around, examining the house. "All this stuff is so old. I wonder if there's any kind of canned food here."

"I think we should check out the rest of the house," I said. "Come on."

Using the flashlight, we navigated in relative silence. Outside, the wind howled, ripping through the cornfield. The sound was unsettling.

"God, that's creepy," Elena whispered. Behind me, she stumbled. "Son of bitch. Max, keep the light ahead of us, I tripped over the couch."

Max laughed.

"You're an ass," she snapped.

I tuned them out and listened to the sounds around us. When I heard a slight tapping along the walls, I stopped walking.

"Guys."

"You didn't even want to come!" Max snapped. "You were too scared."

"This is dangerous," Elena replied. "I told you two. We all know about the stories."

"Oh my God."

I turned. "Guys, shut up, will you? Listen."

"Dom, I don't care if you agree with her or not."

"No," I said. "Listen. The noise. Do you hear it?"

They stopped bickering and fell quiet.

There was a rustling along the outside of the house, like something scrapping across the wood. Then something moved by the window on the other side of the room.

"Max, stop it," I said. "That's not funny."

"It wasn't me."

His voice was coming from next to me.