Sparrow Lane

Before

The house was two stories. As we walked up the front steps, we noticed that the door was old; it whined as the wind picked up around us.

Max pulled it open, and shown a light inside.

An old, musty smell met my nose, and something worse. Something rotten. The scent made my stomach clench.

"I'm going to throw up," I said.

Elena slipped a hand along my shoulders, and I shivered. But I knew it wasn't from her touch. It was because I knew there was something here.

"Don't be a wimp," Max said.

"Do you not smell that?" I snapped. "It's gross." I looked at Elena. "How are you doing?"

"Terrified," Max said for her.

"I'm okay," she muttered, glaring at him.

Max sighed. "Enough of this, guys. Come on. I want to explore."

"You want to investigate the legend," I said, straightening up. "You want to see if it's true. Don;t you realize how dangerous that is?"

Max laughed.

"We could die like the others," Elena whispered.

"The car has heat," Max responded, annoyed. "Go wait in it for us. We won't be long."

"This is a bad idea," she told us.

Elena trembled, and pulled away from me. The flashlight faced her; she turned back toward the door, just as it slammed shut.