‹ Prequel: White Noise
Status: Active

Static Screams

Laughter

I just wanted to sleep.

There was motion and noise all around me, albeit quiet ones. I knew someone had been sitting beside me for a long time, but I just wanted to sleep. I didn’t want to talk to whoever it was. Being kidnapped and then killing people was all so exhausting. On top of that, everything hurt. Cuts on my arms and legs from the first day. Lashes on my back from the second. My face and stomach from being beaten on the third.

I felt someone grab my hand, and gently rub their thumb in circles. Soft hands but with callouses on the fingers I recognized. Because I had them too. Archery did that.

Logan sighed. I wanted to comfort her, but I was so tired. I started to drift back to sleep but she started to speak.

“It’s been a long time since I let myself love. My last, she’s gone. I suspect she’s dead but I may never know. She wasn’t good for me. She loved the apocalypse and she tried to take the warehouse from the people that lived there. Warren and Polly, you met them. They lived there with their two kids when we found it. Ella tried to kick them out. She said it was a really cool place for the apocalypse. Sawyer managed to help me realize that she was no good. We kicked her out of the group. I thought I loved her, but I didn’t. Not really. I just didn’t want to be alone in this mess.” She took a deep breathe, squeezing my hand lightly.

“But you, Scarlett. You I do love. You’re so incredible. You are strong, brave, and badass.” She laughed. “You’re so stubborn and a bit of a control freak.” I heard the smile in her voice. “But you do it in love. You act like you don’t love any of them. But you love them all. You try to distance yourself, but you’re so deep into the love you have for this family, you’ll never be able to.”

“Anyways, I hope you wake up soon. I miss your smile.” Another deep breath, and she moved her hand from mine.

I quickly grabbed it, opening my eyes and pulling her towards me. Her shocked expression lasted a second before I pressed a kiss to her lips. A deep kiss that I felt all the way to my toes. For a moment all my pain melted away. I scooted over on the mattress, pulling her into the bed with me. She eagerly joined me.

I leaned back for a moment, hand on the back of her neck. “I do love all of them.” She smiled at me. “And I do love you.” I could practically see her heart soar in her grin as she came back and slowly kissed me.

***

A while later we woke up to crying. After a bit of kissing and a bit more than that, we fell asleep wrapped up together. And now we were waking up groggily to a chorus of cries.

Wait. Was that a baby crying? I sat up straight, but didn’t realize that Logan’s head was resting on my chest. We knocked heads, shouting in pain as we pulled away. Laughing it off, Logan got out of the bed and stretched.

“Is that a baby? Did Lila have the baby?” I asked, rubbing my head.

Logan smiled and nodded. “There’s a surprise waiting for you to wake up.” I quickly swung myself out of the bed, and then promptly fell back against it when my brain spun. “Woah, love. Slowly. You’re badly hurt.” She grabbed my arm. “Come on I’ll take you.” She turned around and pointed at her back.

“I’m fine.” I laughed at her. “I can walk.”

“If you’re sure! One time offer!” I rolled my eyes and started heading for the door. Four steps in and I was sure I was going to pass out.

I sighed deeply. “Okay. But just this once!”

A smiling Logan stepped in front of me, and I jumped onto her back. She proved to be as physically strong as she was cute, and carried me with ease to the room down the hall where I could hear two separate crying. “Oh my god is there two of them?!”

Logan laughed, and I opened the door we’d reached from her back. It swung open to reveal a Kodak moment. I took the second we stood there to take a photo for my memories. Lila set me down.

Lila was sitting in an armchair, cradling a bundle, bottle in her hand. Holland sat beside her, watching closely, doing the same thing she did with the baby in his arms.

When they noticed us in the doorway, Lila’s face lit up. A phantom pain of the moment she slapped me sizzled across my cheek. The smile on my lips faded and I stood frozen. She seemed to realize what was happening.

“Holland.” She whispered, setting the bottle down and moving the sleeping baby into his free arm. She stood slowly.

“Scarlett, I-“

“Lila, I-“

We’d spoken at the same time, which made us both smile. Logan walked behind me when Lila and I took a few steps towards each other. I stumbled a bit and she grabbed my arm to help.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry.”

Same time again, we grinned, and then Lila and I pulled each other into a deep hug. When we pulled away, Lila fake frowned at me. “I still don’t like you.”

We burst into laughter until tears streamed down our face. My injured gut screamed at me, but my god, did laughter feel good.
♠ ♠ ♠
948 words

Sorry it’s short, I liked the last little sentences and wanted to leave it there because it was cute.

Thought we could use some happiness for a bit.

xoxo