‹ Prequel: White Noise
Status: Active

Static Screams

Spite

After two days of sitting in a cold room staring at a wall, a door behind me creaked open. Days ago, they had tied me to a chair in an empty room, and left me here. Before watching my precious Sasha fall to the ground, I would’ve taken in this situation with copious amounts of sarcasm. Seeing her calm, gentle face as the knife moved, and then being held in a freezing room tied to a chair for two days with no idea where the rest of my family was, did not put me in a joking around mood.

I kept my eyes on the ground, rage still boiling in my bones, as a figure moved into my frame of sight. I stared at the dirty hem of their large floral muumuu, ignoring them. They snapped their fingers, and someone behind me wrapped a hand in my hair, yanking my head back hard. I fought a snarl, keeping a reaction from my face. I wouldn’t give them the satisfaction. A heavy woman with greasy brown hair to her shoulders stood before me. How anyone could keep meat on their bones in the apocalypse, I’d never understand.

She grinned, showing me a mouth full of cracked and dark teeth. “Ah, Scarlett. We finally meet.” I wanted to spit in her holier-than-thou face. I’d sooner rip my eyes out than listen to her voice again. When I didn’t reply, she frowned. “Now, now, I expected us to have a friendly conversation.” I couldn’t help it, I snorted. She’d lost her damn mind if she thought I was going to have a fucking friendly talk with her.

A flash of annoyance went across her face, and she snapped her fingers again. A tall grungy man stepped into my sight as my hair was released. He smiled before pulling back an arm and punching me in the face. Now, I laughed, spitting blood onto the floor. Like a scene in an action movie. “Talk to Mama.” He ordered me. I laughed again. Mama? Good god. He snarled at me before punching me in the stomach. This time, I shot him a glare, and spat the blood on his shoes. “Bitch!” He pulled back to hit me again, but ‘Mama’ stopped him.

“Scarlett, don’t you want to hear what happened to your friends?” My head snapped to face her. She smiled, happy she finally got a reaction out of me. Damn it. I started shaking again. I was numb to the cold, but not to the thought of losing them. “You’re the leader, right? You’re responsible for what happens to them. Oh, sorry. What happened to them.” My hands twitched, wanting to hit her. I knew my wrists were bleeding from the rope I’d been trying to rip out of for two days, but the pain was nothing.

Mama waved off grunge man, moving to stand in front of me again. Grunge man pulled a chair up for her. As rickety and homemade as that chair looked, I’m not sure how it was holding up to her as she sat down. I didn’t follow her, choosing to stay facing the side instead of watching her.

“You killed some of our people, Scarlett. You couldn’t expect that to go unpunished.”

Alright, she wanted a conversation, she was going to get one.

I looked her way, moving my head in a swaying sarcastic way. “We? Killed? You?” I was out of the laughing anger phase, and had moved into unbridled fury. I leaned forward as far as my ties would let me. “Your ‘people’ hunted us down, and then broke into our camp. They killed my friend, and kidnapped us. We were just trying to defend ourselves and what was ours. You. Killed. Us. You are responsible for the people that died. Not us. YOU.” I spit more blood, directly into her face.

She wiped it off with one finger, nodding at grunge man, who immediately punched me in the gut again. Watch me die from internal bleeding in the fucking zombie apocalypse. “Keep hitting a tied up woman, you little shit. I’ll get you back.” He chuckled, cracked his knuckles and crossed his arms.

“You just signed your friends death warrants, kid.” Mama stood with a smile, and she and grunge man left. I laughed once again as the door closed behind me. She just let me know they were alive. And left a shoddy wooden chair within reach of my feet.

I grinned, feeling blood in my smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
wc; 765

Okay so, have chapter one. If you haven't read White Noise, you might not know that I normally write chapters with 1600-2600 words. So don't get used to short chapters from me. :3 I'm so excited for this story and the plot. This chapter is a bit of a weird one, but I'm still happy with it. I hate Mama. I hate Mama a lot.

xoxo

Autyy