Falling for Him

Chapter Seven

“So are you happy now?”

Jon looks up with tired eyes at the patronizing voice of Patrick. He mumbles a soft, barely heard, no, and continues sulking.

“I thought so. I told you if you left her, it would break your heart. You look fucking miserable”

“I know” Jonny murmurs, “Please stop rubbing it in. I screwed up. I only did it to save my career”

It’s been a week since that fateful evening where everything changed, where Jonny ultimately broke his own heart and shattered the heart of Camille.

He hasn’t slept well since it happened, God they weren’t even together, yet it feels like he just got a divorce. He has no idea what to do without her.

Who knew a girl, barely his, would have such an impact on him?
Why the hell did he screw it up?

“Your career is still intact Jon. You’re still Captain and we’ve won a game since then. One bad game should not have made you leave the best thing that has ever happened to you.”

“I know. You think she’d forgive me?” Jonny asks, his eyes pleading with Pat to tell him that everything would be fine.

“I don’t know. She sounded pretty miserable when I talked to h-“
“You talked to her?” the Captain roars, suddenly angry, “When?”
Patrick rolls his eyes, “I talked to her the day after. I visited Mike in the hospital.”

“How is Michael?”

“Not good. Doc says only a few more days. She could really use you now so get your head outta your ass and go talk to her.”

**
“No boyfriend today?”

Camille smiles at Doctor Rhodes and shakes her head, “No boyfriend ever. Doc, you have to tell me. I can take it. Is my brother going to die sooner than we thought?”

Doctor Rhodes sighs with a heavy heart and sits down next to blonde. The older man rests his hand on hers and nods his head solemnly.

“Yes. The cancer has spread to his brain now, which means soon his organs will shut down”

Camille draws in a sharp breath and tears forms in her eyes, she knew from the start that she would lose her brother but she never realized that it would be this soon.

She’s not ready to say goodbye to the only family she has left.

“How long does he have?”

“Camille-“

“Please. I can take it. Please” she whispers with a shaky intake of breath. “Please tell me”

Doctor Rhodes swallows; this is probably the worst part of his job as oncologist. He hates telling family members that their loved ones would die or are dead. He especially hates telling Camille who is so young; and alone in this big, cruel world.

“Maximum…. Three days.”

Camille lied, she could not take it. Her eyes are swimming in tears and soon she’s bawling like a kid.

“Oh my God” she whispers, “It’s time to say goodbye then?”

Doctor Rhodes nods, “First, let’s talk about his options.”

“Options? What options?”

“Since Michael’s brain is shutting down, we have two options: Keep him on a ventilator so you could have more time with him, or we can let him die peacefully when God decides it’s his time.”

Camille shuts her eyes, she doesn’t even need to ponder over those options. She knows what he wants.

“You can ask him as well, you have to, he’s an adult. But I think you have to let him die. A ventilator will make me feel better, but I know he doesn’t want to be a vegetable, so I won’t make him.”

“Alright; I am so sorry Camille. You can sit with him; I think it would be better for him to hear the news from you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
3 chapters left!