Falling for Him

Chapter Nine

The days flew by quicker than Camille would have wanted, and before she knew it, the day of the funeral has started.

It's 8 am now, and the alarm clock rung somewhere. She's still asleep, incoherent, and not at all keen for this day.

"Baby, Cam, wake up" she hears whispering, a person, a someone, gently nudging her awake. She lets out a groan and opens her eyes. She looks right into the brown eyes of Jonathan.

"I'm up... I'm awake" she says and sits up in the bed, taking in her surroundings. The plain walls covered with sport posters doesn't look familiar.

She barely remembers the night before, she knows Jon and Patrick took her out for dinner to get her heart to stop hurting and to ease her mind from the memories and pain of what today would bring, and then they brought her back to their apartment.

She can't remember how she ended up in Jonathan's bed.

"Don't worry, we didn't do anything." Jon says with a grin, "We had a few glasses of wine and we passed out on the couch. I woke up at 4 and brought you back to my bed since the couch is not comfortable."

"Thanks" Camille says softly, "Not just for last night but for being there for me through all. I know we're broken up, or not broken up or whatever, I just...appreciate what you and Patrick have done for me."

"I know it's not the time to bring this up" Jon sits down on the bed and grabs her hand in his, "But I made a mistake when I ended us, I-I have always thought of hockey as the only important thing in my life but you changed that the moment you walked into my life. You have become the most important thing in my life and I'm sorry I took out my frustration from losing a game on you. I'm sorry."

Camille smiles, with smudged eyeliner and morning breath and all, she pecks his lips and he beams brightly. "You have been my support system, my anchor, through all of this. I was never angry at you, I only want you."

"Will you be my girlfriend when the funeral is over Camille?" Jon asks timidly, suddenly afraid of the answer. Camille blushes and gives him a smile. "Of course."

Jonathan drives Camille home an hour later, after they ate breakfast consisting of pancakes and bacon, and let her get ready for the funeral while he went home to shower and dress in a black dress-shirt with Chino's.

He picks her up at exactly 11 am and they drive off to Church where a few Blackhawks were waiting for them.

Jon gawks at her reaction and smiles when he sees the tears and the grin on her lips. "The team is here?"

"They are your family"

As the funeral progressed from Camille's eulogy to Michael's farewell video, to the food afterwards Camille finally felt satisfied. She's at peace now, because Michael has no pain anymore. He's gone now, and she had said goodbye.

life goes on sissy, mom and dad - they're dead, but our lives have to go on now.

She remembers the words he spoke so clearly, and she's following his advice. He is gone, he is with their mom and dad, and her life has to go on now.

She has Jon, she has Patrick, she has the rest of the Blackhawks.