Falling for Him

Chapter Six

With a beaming smile Jonathan walks into United Center with a sparkling gleam in his brown eyes, he avoided the amusing looks of the guys in the locker room and unloaded his bag in his locker.

“Look at Captain Serious being all….Captain giddy” Sharpie said making the guys laugh

“Who’s the lucky girl?”
“Captain Serious is in love”


Jonathan smirks and shakes his head as he tries to drown out the cat calls from the rest of the team. “Alright, alright, enough, we have a game to win so get your filthy heads out of the gutter.”

He says and the team silence immediately, a few guys snort and call him a ‘wimp’ for not telling while others murmur that ‘Captain Serious is back’.

The team gears up and does their ritual of getting into team spirit. Coach Q delivers a motivational speech and the team runs out onto the field.

Jon looks up in the stands and smiles when he sees the familiar blue eyes of Camille, accompanied by her brother, who has been discharged temporarily, looking at him. She waves at him and he grins.

The game ended with the Blackhawks losing to the Ducks 3-2, and of course the Captain blames himself.

‘His head isn’t in the game’
‘Everyone could see it’


‘He shouldn’t be in love in the beginning of the Season’

Jon groans as he stalks into the locker room. The atmosphere is tight and frustrated, cold and angry.

Nobody says anything as they brace themselves for the wrath of their Coach and Captain.

“Boys” Coach Q walks in, his face red from the anger and frustration, “Tonight’s game could have gone better. The Ducks gave you so many openings to shoot a goal. They practically handed the puck to you on a silver plate and you let it go! You messed up. Practice is tomorrow at 8. Be better.”
He looks at Jonathan, “Your head wasn’t in that game. I don’t know where it was, and I don’t know where it has been the last few months, but whatever is going on in your personal life, let it go. You’re the Captain for God’s sakes, lead your team. Nothing is more important” Coach Q storms out of the locker room and Patrick looks at Jon.

The silence broke when Jon slams his fist on the locker. He grabs his bag and storms to the shower. Kaner follows him, worried that Jon might do something that he will regret.

“You’re not breaking it off with Camille” he says as he closes the bathroom door.

“I have to” Jon growls, tired and beyond angry at the loss, and at the fact that Camille’s luscious blonde hair and happy smile has made him lose focus.

“You heard what Coach said. My head wasn’t in the game because it was with Camille. I’ve been playing like shit for 8 months and it’s all because of her. She messed with my head and it’s time to stop it. Hockey is my life, I don’t need her.”

Patrick shakes his head in disapproval, “If you leave her, it will break your heart. She’s the best thing that has ever happened to you.”

The curly blonde walked out of the bathroom leaving Jon alone and conflicted.
*
Patrick walks over to Camille and Michael. “I’m sorry about the game Pat.” Camille murmurs and hugs him. “Thanks. Hi dude.” He greets Michael and the eighteen year old gapes in awe, he shakes Patrick’s hand, “I’m a big fan”
“Thanks.”
“Patrick, this is my brother Michael, Mike, you know Patrick Kane” Camille says with a bright smile and Pat shakes the brother’s hand again. He remembers Jonathan telling him that Michael has cancer.

Patrick spots Jonathan walking toward them and he grins at Michael, “Hey man let’s go get some souvenirs so I can sign some for you.”

“You’d do that?” Michael gasps making Camille laugh and upon Patrick’s nod they walk off. Camille smiles at Jonathan but he doesn’t return it.

“I’m sorry about the game. You played really well-“
“I didn’t” Jonathan cuts her off making her shrink back, “I played like shit.”

“Jon, it’s one game, you’ll do better with the next one I promise. You’re such an amazing player.”

He rolls his eyes, “Cut the crap Camille, you have no fucking clue how the game is played since you’re shit in sports.”

“Alright” Camille says clearly insulted, “You’re in a bad mood now which is understandable, but don’t take it out on me. I’m learning the game, I’m doing my best.”

Jon clenches his jaw, “Your best isn’t good enough. I don’t think this is going to work out.”

“What?” she frowns, her heartbeat increases with panic; ‘This isn’t happening?’

‘He’s not doing what she thinks he’s doing, right?’

“Us; I don’t think this is going to work out. I have hockey to focus on and you’re ruining it. Hockey is the most important thing in my life and I have no time for you right now. I’m sorry but it’s better if we quit this while we’re ahead”

Camille smirks bitterly with tears forming in her eyes. “You decided this? When? Because yesterday we were still incredibly happy and you promised me that you’d ask me to be your girlfriend soon, now you’re leaving me?”

“We’re not official, I haven’t asked you to be my girlfriend, so technically I'm not leaving you, I'm quitting this before it becomes disastrous"

“Fine” her voice breaks as a few tears fall down her cheeks, “Fine”

She walks away and Jonathan takes a deep breath
Did he really just do this?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sad!