‹ Prequel: Feed the Fire
Sequel: Rekindle the Flame

Kiss the Flame

An Offer From the 'Inside'

Image

Sabrina was sitting at Billie Joe’s house for a ‘band family’ dinner. Everyone was there including Jason White and his wife Jenna and even Ronnie Blake and Jason Freese flew in with their wives. The woman sat there not really paying attention to anyone one particular person but rather letting everything and everyone dull down to ‘white noise’ as she felt more and more out of place in this group.

Tre had brought Jill who at the moment was being a complete bitch by being snarky to everyone who crossed her path due to the fact Adie had invited Sabrina. When Sabrina had first noticed what Jill was doing, she went to Adie to take her leave but the lead singer’s wife was having none of it.

“Dammit Sab you deserve to be here just as much as she does,” Adie said stealing a glance at the woman in question. Rolling her eyes before facing Sabrina again, “I mean we all would rather have you here than her anyway.” Adie’s head nodded in agreement to her own words; dreads shaking with the motion. “I tried to like her for Tre’s sake but she is such a whiney little bitch.”

“But Adie, she’s his girlfriend or fiancée or whatever she is. I’m just the ex-wife,” Sabrina said before turning away from the woman. She was stopped by a dainty hand grasping her arm.

“No Sab, you’re much more than that to all of us. You’re the one he should be with; not her.”

Shrugging Sabrina stole a glance at the two being discussed, “Doesn’t matter what you all think or even what I even want. He made his choice and it wasn’t me.” Turning to face Adie, sadness filling her eyes, “But I’ll stay, for you Adie I will stay.”

Adie nodded as she let go of the older woman’s arm and watched her walk over to the table to sit down and within moments seemed to zone out from the people around her. Shaking her own head Adie sighed and went about making sure that her party was running smoothly.

Toby walked in through the front door of the Armstrong residence just about buzzing with excitement. He had fielded an interesting phone call earlier and rushed over to talk face to face to the person who the call was about. Scanning the room he looked for the person he was searching for, finally spying her at the kitchen table. He strode through the room like a man on a mission; nodding to friends as he made a bee line to one of his two charges. He stood in front of her for a moment waiting for her to acknowledge his presence.

Shifting his weight from foot to foot Toby grew inpatient with Sabrina not seeing him there. He cleared his throat a few times but it didn’t seem to bring her out of the daze she was in. Finally he slammed his hands flat on the table top in front of her; the noise effectively silencing the room.

Sabrina visibly flinched at the loud sound that seemed to erupt right in front of her. Looking at the hands then traveling up the arms finally looking Toby in the eye she frowned at her friend. “What the fuck was that for?”

“Well good morning to you too Miss Sabrina,” the man said while rolling his eyes at her frown. “I happened to have an interesting phone call earlier and I wanted to share with you.”

“So that gave you the idea to scare the living shit outta me?”

“No but I think you might want to hear this and I wanted to see the look on your face when I told you about it,” Toby said, rubbing his hands together and for all the world looking like a kid in a candy store who was given cart blanc.

Eyeing her manager with a raised eyebrow Sabrina then rolled her own eyes. “Jesus Tobe, spit it out man.”

“Ah ah ah,” Toby said while wagging a finger in her face and smirking. “In due time; first you have to answer a question.”

“Oh dear god Tobe; will it get you off my back?” Seeing the man nod his head she gave in with a sigh, “What?”

“What is your favorite TV show?”

“What the fuck? You came all the way over here to bug me and ask me what my favorite TV show is? Have you frickin lost your mind Mann?”

“No, just answer the question Wright,” he retorted back.

“Fine; though you know damn well that it’s CSI. Hell we watch it together most Thursday nights and you even bought me the full box set of all the season up to this current season at Christmas.”

By now the exchange was being watched by everyone in the room. Their attention was first caught by the sound of Toby’s hands smacking the table and now everyone was caught up in the interplay between the two friends; one of which seemed like they were being bothered while the other seemed to be enjoying the bothering.

Toby was waiting for her answer and just as she had said, he knew what show it was already but wanted her to voice it out loud. Smiling broadly he reached into his pocket to pull out his cell phone; without glancing at the screen he hit a button which sent whatever it was into space on its way to where ever it was going. Glancing back at Sabrina he slid his phone away and smiled broadly at her. “Well I was hoping that was your answer Sab ‘cause I had an interesting phone call today.”

Gritting her teeth Sabrina all but spit out the words, “Dammit Toby I am in no mood to fuck around, what the fuck is going on?”

“Billy Peterson called me a little bit ago.”

Toby watched as the name settled into Sabrina’s brain and he waited for it to process it and the wait wasn’t long. “Billy; as in William Peterson; executive producer of CSI; as in Gil Grissom of CSI?” she asked the man before her.

“Yes ma’am, one in the same. Wanna know why he called?”

“Tobe...” she growled.

“Dammit… can’t I ever have some fun?” Seeing Sabrina’s eyes narrow he laughed, “I guess not.” Toby settled into the chair opposite Sabrina before continuing. “Well Billy called and asked if I thought you might be interested in doing some acting on CSI.”

The noise which came from Sabrina’s lips could only be described as the sound of a blowing raspberry, “Great… just what I want to do; play a dead body on CSI. Anyone who guest stars on CSI either gets to play a murder or a dead body; case in point last season for the miniature killer story line, Danny Bonaduce played dead more than he played alive in his episode.” Getting up she braced her weight on her arms, “As much as I love CS…”

“When did I say it was a dead body that Billy wants you to play?” Toby interrupted, raising an eyebrow and now giving her a peak at his ‘trump card’.

“What do you mean?” she asked taking his bait.

“This would be for sweeps but with an option to become a semi regular. The writers came up with a new character to play opposite George Eads’ character Nick Stokes and Billy wants you for the role; in fact he specifically asked for you.” Toby smiled as he verbally started to show his ‘winning hand’ to his charge.

Sitting back down heavily Sabrina felt the air whoosh from her body. “Me; act on CSI; a real role that may lead to something more?”

“Yup, and they are more than willing to work around you and your schedule with TJ.” With that final verbal toss of the ‘card’ Toby knew he had Sabrina’s complete and undivided attention. “Billy should be calling you any moment...” The man was then interrupted by the sound of Sabrina’s cell phone going off as if it was all planned; which it was to an extent.

Sabrina looked at her phone as if it were a creature of mythical yore as an unknown number was calling her. She quickly glanced toward Toby who was grinning like a loon and as the thought dawned on her that this was indeed a real thing and not something that her friend had thought up. Raising herself from the chair she quickly clicked the phone to talk as she walked out the side door to a quieter place in order to take the call.

Toby smiled as he turned around and glanced about the room. When he spied what he was looking for he walked over to where the infant playing on the floor with an assortment of toys. Toby plucked TJ up and held him on his hip while tickling the boy under his chin. In a baby voice that adults reserved for use with little ones Toby began phase 2 of his evil plan. “Do you want to stay with Uncle Toby so Mommy can go act in Hollywood for a month or two? Do you?” The little boy answered with a giggle as his uncle tickled under his chin and around his neck. Toby continued his baby talk until he heard a voice come up along side of him.

“TJ can stay with me during the week and Sab can come back to Oakland for the weekends.”

It took everything in Toby’s body to not grin like the Cheshire cat when Tre offered his solution to the question which Toby actually asked accidently on purpose. Turning to face the man the manager took the final steps to cement the plan and make it so Sabrina could take the acting gig without feeling like she was putting anyone out. “Are you sure Tre? I mean I don’t mind taking him during the week.”

“No, I would love to spend more time with TJ. If something comes up though you could watch him for a bit right?”

“Of course Tre; I’d do anything for this little guy.”

“Okay,” Tre said with the nod of his head. “It’s settled. TJ will stay will me from Sunday night to Friday night and then go home with Sab the rest of the time. I’ll tell her when she comes back in.”

Toby allowed himself a slight smile and as he set TJ back down to play with his toys. When he straightened back up he caught Mike’s eye, who had an eyebrow raised skeptically at the manager. Toby shrugged and gave his most innocent look which elicited a muttered “Bullshit,” from the taller man.

“Did you say something Mike?” Billie Joe asked as he watched the unspoken conversation that was playing out between his best friend and Toby.

“Nope… not a word,” Mike chuckled. “Come on let’s find some champagne so we can celebrate Sabrina’s good news,” Mike said as he placed a hand on Billie’s shoulder and guided him away from the crowd and off to find some bubbly.

Sabrina walked out of the large room and out onto the back porch before greeting the person on the other end of the line. “Hello?”

“Hi, Sabrina? It’s Bill Peterson. How are you doing today?”

“Fine, fine. To what do I owe a call from you?” she asked full well knowing what was going on but just hoping to make sure this was the real deal.

“Well, I talked to Toby a little bit ago and he wanted me to actually talk to you. We wrote a new character in a story line and she just screamed your name. I want you to play her.”

“Ummm, wow Bill,” Sabrina said feeling like a million bucks. “I don’t know what to say…”

“Yes would work for a start,” the man chuckled.

“Can you tell me a little bit about who I would be playing?”

“Sure. The basic story line is a romantic interest for Nick Stokes. Though he meets her in an unlikely place to start off with; he than meets her again under totally different circumstances. She is an independent woman who is smart and beautiful and has an important job and an interesting pastime. This would be for the last few episodes and the season finale with the first few episodes of the new season. If things work out and the fans like her than we can talk about her becoming a semi regular who would come back time to time.”

“Wow Bill… I’m really floored here, but I don’t know if I can. I have to think about TJ.”

Bill laughed a little, “Toby said you would say that. We actually have things all in line for you. Toby has gotten Tre to watch TJ during the week so you can come down to Hollywood for filming then you can go home for the weekends. The studio will be flying both ways for as long as you are with us. Also we will be putting you up at the Chateau Marmont which Toby said is your favorite place to stay while in town.”

“It sounds as though my manger is on the ball,” Sabrina said with a wry smile.

“Yes he is. All that is needed now is for you to say yes Sabrina.”

“When do I start?”

The next day Beth was down in Mike’s home studio with a guitar on her lap and a notepad sitting on the table in front of her. She absently was tapping the pen in her hand against her teeth as she pondered the words she had written on the paper before her. She never heard the man walking down the steps as a frustrated look overcame her features and the paper was reduced to a wad of recyclable refuse.

“What’s wrong?” Mike said as he watched her crumple up the paper.

Sighing, the younger woman sat back in the big comfy chair. “I don’t know Mike. It seems as though my creative juices have dried up.” She flung the pen that was in her hand against the far wall. “I have never ever had any problems writing but now when everything is riding on it I can’t seem to write to save my fuckin life.” The last word of the sentence was punctuated by the sound of the notepad joining the pen.

As Mike cautiously approached the frustrated woman he pulled out the white handkerchief from his back pocket. He began to wave it in the air “I’m a neutral party don’t throw anything at me.”

Beth glanced up and scowled at the man, “Asshole, I’m serious.”

“So am I, I don’t want anything to hit me upside me head. You can be dangerous.”

“Whatever.”

Mike moved over and crouched down next to the chair so he was eye level with Beth. “What’s the difference from when you wrote before and trying to write now?”

“Ummm duh asshole,” she intoned rolling her eyes. “What I wrote before was when I didn’t have a record deal or even serious about singing; now that’s all changed. Whatever I write now will be seen by who knows how many people; critiqued ‘til the cows come home, and basically picked apart ‘til it dies a slow painful death.”

Mike’s rich laughter filled the room but instead of putting Beth at ease it seemed to grate on her ever fraying nerves. She snaked out her hand and delivered her time honored response and the sound of flesh hitting flesh replaced the laughter.

Mike’s hand went up to cup his now sore cheek and he quickly stood up. Shaking his head he turned on his heel and walked away from Beth. She saw his shoulders slump as he climbed the stairs without a backward glance.

Catching her lip between her teeth she bit down as her mind whirled into gear. Placing her sapphire blue acoustic guitar on the ground she retrieved the wayward pen and pad. She quickly returned to her seat and smoothed out the sheets of lined paper as the words seemed to bubble out of her mind like a geyser. Within seconds pen scratched paper as the words flowed from her heart.

Sleeping with one eye open
Turned away from you
I felt your presence at my side
My breath declined
I felt your lips upon my cheek
Heard you walk away
Opened my eyes, and watched you go
My heart slowed


She paused for a moment; pen clamped firmly between her teeth as she thought about the next set of words. Within moments they joined the ones before them.

I didn't take the time
And now you're gone and I
I hurt inside
Broken up inside


With the pen lodged in her teeth again she reached down for the discarded guitar and settled it upon her lap. Strumming it she looked for the chords that felt right and matched up with the lyrics already on the paper.

About a half hour later Mike opened the door to the stairwell that would take him down to the studio. He paused as he heard Beth’s dusky voice filter up to where he stood, now rooted to the spot as he heard the words she sang.

Sleeping with one eye open
Turned away from you
I felt your presence at my side
My breath declined
I felt your lips upon my cheek
Heard you walk away
Opened my eyes, and watched you go
My heart slowed

I didn't take the time
And now you're gone and I
I hurt inside
Broken up inside

I get up out of my big bed
And I looked around
This home is empty just like me
I close my eyes
I see your smile in my dreams
And it comforts me
But I can't always pretend here
You're still gone

I didn't take the time
And now you're gone and I
I hurt inside
Broken up inside
I didn't stay and fight
For us to stay alive and I
I hurt inside
Broken up inside

Opened up the photo album
Lost in yesterdays
Unhappy hearts with happy looks
I close the book

I didn't take the time
And now you're gone and I
I hurt inside
Broken up inside


As the last chords rang out and faded away Mike quietly closed the door, not bothering to go down to see the woman who sang the deep moving lyrics. Instead he opted to go back to the family room where the muted TV was tuned into VH1. As he turned the sound back on and settled in to watch one of his guilty pleasures; Celebrity Fit Club a smile crept onto his face.

“She loves me… she really does love me,” he spoke into the darkness of the room.

**”Inside” as written by Holly Rinedoller**