Relative Design

Chapter 9

Mid-August arrived with the second heat wave of the summer, much to the Reid household’s dismay. Eric refused to leave the house, unless absolutely necessary or it was time for Toby’s walk, forcing Eliza, who didn’t mind much, to stop restocking the fridge. Anabel, who didn’t appreciate this crazy decision, scowled into the empty fridge.

“Does it bother anyone else that we only have cheese, wine, beer, and expired milk in the fridge?”

Beckett stuck his head out of the pantry to look at his sister, frowning. “Eliza figured this way Eric would have to leave the house to at least eat.”

“So this goes back to Eric?”

“Yeah. And he’s gone through all the good junk food. There’s only your healthy shit in here.”

“Can we come up with another term for my snacks? Eric!”

They both glanced at the ceiling, hearing the sound of pounding feet.

“What?” Eric asked, coming into the room.

“Here’s twenty bucks,” Anabel said, handing him the money. “Go somewhere.”

“What?”

“You heard me. Go out. Do something. Get out of this house.”

“It’s hot out.”

“I don’t care. Go.”

“Alone?”

“Take that idiot with you,” Anabel grumbled, pointing at Beckett’s turned back. “Bring back groceries.”

Not Beckett turned to her. “But—”

“Take him in your Thunderbird.”

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you. I’ve been tinkering with it so—”

“Fine,” she seethed before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. “Take him out in the garage and make him help. Make him do something.”

“What’s wrong with her?” Eric asked as Beckett joined him by the door.

“I don’t know. She gets cranky when there’s no grass food around.”

“I hear you, you moron.” She let out a deep breath when she heard the garage door open, closing her eyes. God, she needed out of here.

Hearing her phone beep, she made a grab for it, checking her messages. There was a new one from Zoe, asking her if she were free.

She thanked whoever was listening as she typed up a reply.

An hour later she was climbing into Zoe’s blue Corolla, wearing a yellow sundress. “Hey. What’s up?”

“Nothing. I’m already sick of this heat. Wanna grab coffee? Iced or something, obviously. And, at the risk of being totally cliché, we could get our nails done after, if you’re up for it. I need a serious mani-pedi.”

Anabel laughed, pulling her sunglasses out of her purse. “That sounds great. I need one too.”

“Sure. That’s a nice car in your garage. Who’s the hottie under the hood?”

Anabel cringed. “My brother.”

“Oops.” She grinned. “In my defense, I couldn’t recognize Beckett from the back. I didn’t even know you had a brother up until… when was it?”

“The movie, I know. It’s a long story.”

“And who’s the kid? Eric?” she asked, ignoring her tight-lipped ambiguity as she backed out of the driveway.

“Other brother. Also a long story.”

“You seem to have a lot of those, don’t you? Any particular coffee shop you wanna go to?”

“Anywhere is fine.”

“Sounds good. So how’ve you been these last couple of weeks?”

“Good, how about you?”

“Fine. Have you seen anyone from high school?”

“Not really. I saw Chloe and those guys a few times after school first ended, but that’s about it.”

“Same. I’m kind of over the whole high school thing. That sounds stupid since I just graduated—”

“No, it doesn’t. I totally get it,” she laughed, shaking her head. If there was anything Beckett’s return and Eric’s arrival had done for her, it was make her grow up just a little. Though she felt more than just a little more grown up since they’d shown up.

“I’m so glad. I felt a little out of it for a while there.”

“Nope. How’s Chris, by the way?”

“He’s doing well. We’re doing well. I like him. But… I don’t know, I just got out of high school, you know? I don’t know if I want to get into something serious the summer before my first year of college.”

“That makes sense. Are you guys serious, or…?”

“We’re not there yet, but we’re quickly heading in that general direction.”

“You sound terrified.”

“Not terrified, but… close enough.” She huffed. “What about you and Adam?”

“What about us?”

“How are you doing?”

“Good. Not anywhere close to serious.”

“Really?”

Anabel shrugged when Zoe shot her a disbelieving look. “Seriously, we’re not.”

“That’s not the way we all see it. You two are pretty wrapped up in each other.”

“We’re just enjoying each other, that’s all. Not anything more serious than that. And who’s this we?”

“His friends. And me, obviously.”

“I’ve met his friends once. Chris and Jack twice.”

“Yeah, well.”

“Well?”

Zoe shrugged. “I guess you’ve got sparks or something. We can all see it.”

She laughed nervously, playing with the ends of her hair. “No, it isn’t like that.”

“Okay.” She pulled into a spot in front of the café, turned off the car. “Where are you going, by the way? In the fall?”

“This school in London.”

“London? Seriously? That’s so cool! When do you leave?”

“A week.”

“Wow. You must be so exited!”

“I am, for the most part.”

She hesitated, then asked the question she was sure she knew the answer to. “Have you told Adam yet?”

“Not… exactly.”

“Are you going to?”

“If I have to.”

“Are you going to try long distance?”

She laughed helplessly, shrugging. “You can’t actually have our type of relationship long distance.”

“Ah, gotcha. Maybe you should, you know… tell him?” she suggested, attempting to keep her voice light. She considered Adam a friend and hated to think of how he'd take the news.

“I’m going to.”

“And you’re going to… break it off with him?”

“Yeah.”

“Ouch. Harsh.”

“It’s not. He knows where we stand. We’re fine.”

“Okay, if you say so.”

She did, because they were. Right?

They weren’t.

He tried playing the whole thing off, but couldn’t quite accomplish it.

“So,” Anabel continued uncomfortably, fidgeting with her purse that she’d kept in her lap and wishing he’d say something and stop staring at her. She wondered why she’d decided to have this talk in his apartment and why he refused to sit, instead opting to hang out by the wall across from her. “This whole arrangement of ours isn’t exactly working for me anymore.”

“Okay,” he agreed, nodding, as he leaned back against the wall he stood closest to. “Well, that’s cool, since I’m going back on tour and stuff,” he said, and then tried not to wince.

“Oh, are you?”

“Yeah, starting fall. Are you taking a year off or going to school?”

Was that it, she wondered, fumbling to keep up with conversation. She’d wanted a clean walk away, but this was… He was taking it well, much better than she’d expected. “Uh, no, I’m starting school in the fall.”

“That’s cool.” When she shifted uncomfortably, the conversation having ended, he said, “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

“Oh, that’s fine,” she began politely, getting to her feet, though she definitely would not mind the chance to say goodbye to his cars, “I can just—”

“Anabel, I really don’t mind. Come on,” he repeated, getting his keys and holding the door open for her.

“Thank you, really.”

“It’s not a problem.”

The car ride was mostly silent, and Anabel carefully kept her hands in her lap, no matter how badly she wanted to run her fingers along the seat or fiddle with the radio.

When Adam pulled up in front of her house, he’d recovered enough to send her an almost easy smile. “I’ll see you around, or something.”

“Yeah, right. Thanks for the ride home and everything.” She hesitated then placed a friendly kiss on his cheek. “Get home safe.”

Easiest breakup ever, she thought, stepping into her house, relieved. That could have been so much—

“You’re leaving.”

Anabel stopped on her way to the stairs, turning to face the boy who stood just inside the living room. “What?”

“I was in your room earlier. I saw your bags.”

Oh, boy. “Okay, Eric—”

“How long have you been planning to go?” He wouldn’t cry. Fuck that, he thought angrily, fingers curling into fists as his body trembled with anger. “Since I got here?”

“Don’t be a moron,” she snapped, annoyed she’d be doing this tonight as she crouched down in front of him. “Since before then. My going has nothing to do with you, Eric. Are we going to have this discussion like this or can we go sit and talk it out?”

“You can do whatever you want. I don’t—”

“Don’t give me that crap. Come on.” She got to her feet and sat on the sofa in the living room, sighing softly. When he sat on the other end of the sofa, she sighed again, louder this time, as she turned to face him. “I was going to tell you. I was just working up to it.”

“Where are you going?”

“Europe.”

His frown seemed to deepen, and Anabel hated how adult it made him look. “Why?”

“For school.”

His brow furrowed. “School?”

“Yeah. I got accepted to college there and…”

“Oh.”

“I’ll visit.”

“That would get expensive.” His anger had dissolved, leaving him feeling something he couldn’t name no matter how hard he tried.

“I’ll manage.”

“When do you leave?”

“Next week.”

“Beckett doesn’t know.”

She noticed it wasn’t a question, pursed her lips. “No, he doesn’t.”

“You going to tell him?”

“Yes.” Eventually.

“Better make it soon. He’s going to flip a shit.”

“Probably. Don’t you feel silly now, thinking it was because of you?”

He snorted. “I’m not the dope going to the other side of the world for school.”

“I guess that does make me the bigger dope. Eric, are we okay?”

“Yeah. Sorry for yelling at you.”

“It’s okay.”

“I don’t want you to go,” he said the words quickly, before he could think about it or regret it, and swallowed the lump in his throat.

She hesitated then held out her arms, sighing when he moved in to hug her, and admitted something she’d tried her best to ignore. “I don’t want to go anymore either.”

“No. Absolutely not.”

“What do you mean absolutely not? That isn’t a choice here.”

Beckett ignored logic and continued shaking his head, his arms crossed across his chest. “No. Not happening.”

“Uh, yeah, it is actually. I already bought my tickets, registered for classes, and everything.”

“Can’t say I care. You’re not going, Anabel.”

“Why the hell not? You went off to Europe when you were my age!” Anabel cried. God, it served her right that he’d flip. Dealing with everyone else had been too easy; now she knew why. It was all in preparation of Beckett.

“So, what? I’m not letting you fly off to Europe by yourself!”

“And why not? Because I’m a woman?” she asked, eyes narrowed.

“I don’t give a shit about gender. Women can do whatever the hell they want. You can’t go off by yourself!”

“Oh, so you aren’t a sexist pig, just a jackass.”

“Hey,” Eliza cried, stepping into the room, brow furrowed. She never even thought her younger sister could think ill of her brother, much less call him a jackass. That was more her forte. “Anabel, don’t speak to your brother that way. What’s going on?”

“He’s being a jackass.”

“So what if I am? You aren’t going to Europe.”

“Oh,” Eliza whispered, wishing she hadn’t stepped in.

“Yes, Beckett, I am.”

“You can’t just spring this on me, Anabel!”

“Well, you have two days to cope, because that’s when I leave.”

“Dammit, Eliza. How could you agree to this?”

“How couldn’t I, Beckett? What was I supposed to tell her? That no, she couldn’t follow in her brother’s footsteps?”

Anabel turned to her sister, confused.

Beckett beat her, speaking quickly to be first. “What?”

“Yeah,” Anabel chimed in, “what?”

Eliza sighed, going to Anabel and smoothing her hair down, the way she used to when they were younger. “Anabel, I’ve never seen you fight for anything the way you fought for Europe.”

“I’m not following in anyone’s footsteps,” Anabel said defensively, afraid she’d unknowingly offended her sister. “And I could just as easily be following in your footsteps.”

“I didn’t go to Europe, hun. Beckett did.” She read the panicked worry in her sister’s eyes, knew she was concerned about her feelings. “I can’t blame you. I know you were more inclined to follow in his steps because you wanted something that connected you two. You had me, similarities with me. You didn’t get to have that with your brother, or have your brother at all. Of course you wanted this.”

Anabel bit her lip as Eliza continued playing with her hair, soothing her. It took all her willpower to keep her eyes dry. “You always knew me better than I did.”

“I’m not upset, Anabel. I understand.” She placed her arm around Anabel’s shoulders when she leaned against her.

“That just ruined every argument I could have made,” Beckett said, defeat ringing clearly in his voice. What the hell choice did he have here? “Okay, I guess. I’m sorry, Anabel.”

“Don’t be. Uhm, I have to finish packing. Excuse me.” She ducked out of there before she did actually cry, not knowing how much longer her restraint would last.

The two siblings watched her go, Beckett going to Eliza when she was gone. “I’ve never seen you like that. You’ve done a great job here, Liza. You’ve done a great job with her.”

She nodded and, for the first time since he was back, let herself stop being angry with him as she leaned into his side, her eyes welling with tears. “I spent all summer not thinking about this, Beck. She’s gone in two days.”

“I know, but she’ll be back.” He rested his chin on her head, his arm going around her shoulders, just as hers had done to Anabel.

“What if something happens? She’ll be in a place where she knows no one, in a new country an entire ocean away.”

“She’s a tough one, Eliza. She can handle it.” God, he hoped she could handle it.

She nodded, pulling away and wiping her cheeks. “Come on. I know this is hard on her. She’s probably not doing too well up there. We’ll get Eric and Toby and keep her company.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So... That's the end of Part One. I'm really excited for Part Two so I posted this chapter early. If anyone's mad at me, two chapters this week is definitely my attempt to bribe you out of that. At least I'm honest about it, right?

Anyway. I did update my other story too as per my usual schedule, in case you're reading that too. As always, I'd love to know what you thought! I'm worried this chapter's a little rushed, just because I personally hate goodbyes, so feedback would be everything.