Relative Design

Chapter 13

Adam was smarter the next time. He gave it a few days then, ten minutes to five on Thursday, left his office. “Amanda, I’m leaving a bit early today. Please take my messages and text me if it’s something important.”

“Absolutely, Mr. Martin.”

“Thanks.”

He hurried downstairs then waited down the street.

When Anabel stepped out of the building twenty minutes later, Adam met her right outside.

She blinked up at him. “Oh. Hi.”

Not the best start. “Hey.”

“What’re you doing here?”

“Well, since I figured you seemed to be avoiding me, I could either fix that or leave it alone.”

“Let me guess which one you picked,” she said dryly, worn from her second meeting with Christine. God, she was exhausting.

“You look like you could use a drink.”

Her head tilted, just slightly, in his direction. “Maybe.”

“Would you be more inclined to go out for a drink with me if I promised you a ride home?”

“Would you be drinking?” she asked, eyebrow raised.

“Not if you take the offer.”

She pursed her lips, thoughtful.

“You know what? We’ll skip the drinks. You drive.”

“I didn’t bring my car,” she said simply, not bothering with technicalities. So what if it was Beckett’s car?

“I know. I meant my car.”

She laughed, stopping short when she saw his face. “You’re serious?”

“If you’re interested.”

“Who wouldn’t be?”

He started walking towards the lot where he usually parked his car, tucking his hands in his pockets. “So why were you avoiding me exactly?”

“I wasn’t. I really was busy.”

He glanced at her. “You start speaking faster when you’re lying.”

“Oh, whatever,” she said, accompanying her words with an exaggerated eye roll.

He couldn’t help his grin. “Okay, okay. Whatever you say, Anabel.”

She glared at him, but bit her tongue to hold back a retort.

“So, since I’m so trustingly letting you drive my car, can I at least convince you—”

“Dinner,” she said simply, holding out her hand for the keys when he stopped in front of his Viper. “I’m agreeing to dinner. Hand them over.”

He sighed, pained, and handed her his keys. Please, god, let her be a good driver.

She was much more careful than she had to be, but she followed his directions well and got them there in one piece. When she pulled into the lot, she asked, “What are we doing here?”

“You agreed to dinner, didn’t you?” he asked rhetorically as he circled the car and met her by the front bumper, taking the keys from her when she held them out for him.

She frowned. “Yeah, but… hot dogs?”

“Hot dogs,” he confirmed, taking her hand as she reluctantly followed him.

She glanced around, frowning. There were three restaurants sharing the space, and one dessert shop. It wouldn’t be her first choice, but… “What about pizza?”

“You want that instead?”

“I’d prefer it.”

“Okay.” He shrugged. To each their own.

“Where were you in Europe?” he asked once they were seated, her pizza in front of her and his hot dog him.

“I was in London for the most part, though I did travel a lot while there.”

“What was your favorite place?”

She thought about it while she took a bite of the pizza. “Italy for the food, Rome for the sights, Paris because… well, I’m from New York and the vibe is very similar, just with lax smoking laws. And Ireland, just because it’s…” She shook her head. “I can’t even put it in words. It’s beautiful. The land, the history, the music, the tradition… London was great too; it reminded me a lot of New York, too.”

“I thought the same thing the first time I went to London. I thought Paris was a rip-off, though.”

She hadn’t known he’d been to Europe at all. “Why did you think that?”

“Too much hype, I guess. And people don’t take kindly to you trying to speak their language incorrectly. At least I tried.”

“You speak French?”

“What little of it I remember. Do you?”

“Just what I learned in high school. Where else have you been?”

“Many of the places you have. Are you done with that?”

She glanced down at her empty plate. “I am unless I lick it.”

“Hah, hah,” he said simply rather than focus on the images her words conjured, picking her plate up along with his. “Wait here.”

She sipped her water while he headed off after throwing the trash away. She wondered where he was going before shrugging it away as her phone started to buzz on the surface of the table. “Hello?”

“Hey, Anabel. Where are you?”

“Oh, sorry I forgot to call. I’m, uhm, out at dinner.”

Eliza was immediately suspicious. She handed the spoon she held to Will, gestured for him to keep mixing the rice as she’d been doing. “With who?”

She hesitated and knew her sister would be smiling on the other end of the phone. “Adam.”

“Hm. Okay, well, you enjoy yourself.”

“Shut up.”

“Still not getting any, I see.”

“Eliza!” she hissed, mortified, and her hopes that Will hadn’t heard were ruined when she heard him laugh in the background.

“Sorry, sorry. Anyway, I made extras so we’ve got leftovers if you’re… hungry when you get home.”

“I’m hanging up now,” she said as Adam came back into view with a large clear cup in hand, filled with gold coins of some sort. “Bye, Eliza. Tell Will I said hi. What’s that?” she asked as she hung up before her sister could say anything else.

“There’s an arcade here.”

Just to be difficult, she said, “I agreed to dinner.”

“I ignored you. Besides, this was why I put you through hot dogs. It just seems stupid if you don’t agree to the arcade.”

Her lips quirked even as she rolled her eyes. “I’m not a twelve year old boy, you know.”

He watched her walk in front of him and thought of baseball statistics to distract himself from the view. “Don’t I know it?”

She kicked his ass at air hockey, twice, and was in enough of a good mood to let him win her a giant teddy bear with the tickets he’d gathered at the end of the night.

She held it in her lap as he drove her home, her hands resting on its belly. “Thanks for this. And the bear.”

“Absolutely. Had fun?”

“I did, thanks.”

“Good. Did you have any luck with the apartment hunt?”

“I did, actually. I found this place in Queens, fifteen minutes away from the train station, if you’re taking a bus. Five minutes otherwise.”

“Impressive. When do you move in?”

“They only allow you to move in at the beginning of the month, so I’ll have to wait until Friday for the keys.”

“Will you need any help moving in?”

She laughed. “It couldn’t hurt, even with Will, Beckett, Eric, and Zoe helping. She said Chris might be interested in helping too, though I asked her not to bug him. Eliza’s going to be hanging around the new place, unpacking stuff as we bring it all in.”

“You seem to have it all under control. Will you start moving in Friday?”

“Saturday.”

“What time should I come by?”

She smiled at him, reaching across the space between them to take his hand, squeezed lightly. “You really don’t have to help, you know. I have more than enough people.”

“I’d like to.”

“Then I won’t argue. Whatever time you can come on Saturday is great.”

“What time do you plan on starting?”

“Nine.”

“Early,” was his only comment. “I’ll see you then.”

“Okay. Thank you.” She didn’t think he’d actually show, but it was still nice of him to pretend.

*

Anabel frowned at the skillet she held, glancing at it then the stove and back. “You really want me to make the eggs?”

“If we’re all doing this exerting work, we’re going to have a good breakfast together first,” Eliza demanded, getting the bread from the fridge.

“Yeah, fine, but Eliza, I haven’t had to feed anyone but myself in years. Even I know my eggs turn out rubbery.”

She sighed at her younger sister. “You always were hopeless. Put the bread in the toaster and get the butter from the fridge. I’ll make the eggs.”

Will continued mixing his waffle batter. “I forgot you couldn’t cook.”

“Lucky you,” Beckett said, coming to the toaster and moving Anabel’s hand away from it. She always put it on too high, burning the toast. “I swear she’s tried poisoning me before.”

“Her cookies are good,” Eric defended, shrugging when the two men turned to look at him. “What? They are, even if they aren’t made from scratch.”

“See? I knew he was my favorite,” Anabel said as Zoe snorted.

“Anabel, it doesn’t count if they aren’t made from scratch.”

“Zoe, shut up.”

When the doorbell rang, everyone turned to look at Anabel.

“I guess I’ll get it.”

“Not like you’re doing anything else,” Eric said, getting utensils to set the table.

She lightly bopped him on the head on her way to the front door.

“Morning, Anabel!” Chris greeted, kissing her cheek and brushing past her inside.

Adam stood on the stoop, back in the denim she often associated with him. “We carpooled. You’re wearing that to move?”

She glanced down at the skinny jeans and loose white blouse she wore. “Yeah, why?”

“Nothing.” He grinned. “You didn’t think I’d come.”

Her eyes widened. “I—well—no, no I guess I didn’t.”

“Surprise.” He moved in before she could evade and captured her lips. He pulled away and went inside while she was still recovering. She spun to watch to him go, then spun back towards the door, doing a full 360 degree turn.

When she came back into the kitchen, Adam was buttering the toast Beckett had salvaged from Anabel’s care.

“Thanks for coming by to help, Adam.”

“It’s not a problem, Eliza. I was afraid you’d have started moving things already.”

“Not yet. I wanted to have a good breakfast before we started all that.”

What the hell was going on? Anabel thought, confused, as she took her seat at the breakfast bar. “Where’s Eric?”

“He took Toby for a walk.”

Anabel glanced at Beckett. “You brought Toby?”

“We didn’t want to leave him home alone on a Saturday. They should be back soon.”

“Oh. Okay—there they are.”

Toby wagged his big tail while he waited impatiently for Eric to open the door, hitting the back of Eric’s leg with each wag. When the door opened, he ran in before his owner, barking happily at all the people. He went to Zoe first, who squealed and hid behind Chris.

“What is that?”

“Hey, now!” Anabel defended, kneeling by him. “Don’t be mean. He’s a dog.”

“No, he’s not,” Zoe contradicted as she peered over Chris’ shoulder, baffled by the sheer size of what the Reid family insisted on passing off as a dog.

Anabel pointedly ignored her as Toby came to her, tackling her to the ground easily. She laughed even as she squirmed, enjoying the kisses he left on her face. Giving up the pretense, she simply nudged him to the side and wrapped her arms around him. “Hi, honey. You got big, didn’t you? Oh, aren’t you a cutie?”

“That cutie of yours goes through like a bag of dog food a day,” Beckett muttered, but he still scratched Toby between the ears as he passed.

“He’s got a big appetite. Nothing wrong with that.”

“Okay,” Eliza interrupted, sighing. She hated playing adult. “Eric, put the dog outside so Zoe stops climbing up Chris. Everyone who touched the dog wash their hands before sitting to eat. Everyone who didn’t touch the dog, grab a plate and take it to the dining room. There are officially too many people here to eat in the kitchen.” When no one moved, she sighed again. “Get to it, people! Anabel.”

“Yeah, yeah. I’m going.”

She wasn’t. She was still cooing to Toby, her arm around him, holding him to her side where he seemed perfectly content to stay.

“Anabel!”

The girl practically growled as she stood, storming to the door and holding it open as she unenthusiastically ushered Toby into the yard. There was the faintest dimple in her chin when she pouted.

Adam grinned, finding her simply endearing. It was even better than when she was being aloof and… well, snobby. Which she wasn’t, obviously. If there was anything he knew with certainty, it was that after seeing her interact with Toby. And, really, who knew a dimple could be so sexy?

She shut the door behind Toby then crouched to frown at him as he whined audibly, even with the glass between them. She put her hands on the glass, pressed her nose against it as he bumped his nose against where her hands were on the other side of the door. “I’m sorry, baby.”

Eliza rolled her eyes. “Anabel, change your top before you sit to eat.”

“Why? What’s wrong with my top?”

“You aren’t wearing that, are you?”

“Why does everyone keep asking me that?” she snapped before looking back at Toby.

“Never mind. You probably don’t even have anything more casual.”

“I’ll wear something of yours then. My poor baby,” she cooed, frowning at Toby again.

“Oh, for the love of god,” Zoe huffed, going to the door and opening it herself. “Just keep him away from me.”

Anabel laughed and hugged Toby with an enthusiasm that made it seem as though she’d been parted from him for years, not minutes. Standing, she led him to the table, told him to sit by her chair, which he did obediently. “Stay,” she instructed firmly, before going back to the kitchen to wash her hands. When she came back, Toby jumped up. “Sit, Toby. Stay.”

He plopped his butt on the ground and almost looked like he was grinning at her.

“Cute,” Adam murmured as he passed by her to get to his seat beside hers.

“Thanks.”

Eliza stepped out of the kitchen, put the plate of eggs down that she’d just finished. Then she turned to Anabel, ran a hand down her hair as she huffed. “Do you have to go?”

Adam, surprised at the motherly gesture, turned to Beckett and asked about Toby, not knowing what else he could say to try distracting the others.

“I already signed the lease, Liza.”

“So break it,” she insisted. “Stay.”

“Liza—”

“Why do you have to get a new place anyway? We haven’t made you feel like you have to go, so why do you feel like you have to go?”

She blushed, aware of the audience, despite their effort to hold conversation around her and pretend they weren’t listening. “I can’t stay with you and Will forever.”

“I don’t mind,” Will said, who was listening to the two of them.

“Look, you guys are married. You need your married space. You don’t need me hanging out and getting in the way of that.”

“You aren’t getting in the way of anything. Come on, Ana.”

She sighed, hating the unhappiness of her sister’s face. “It’s just more convenient. Living in Long Island and working in the city is a huge hassle. Plus it carves out of my sleeping time since the commute is so long. What if I stay over Friday night?”

She frowned, hating having to compromise. “Fine, I guess.”

“I’m sorry, Eliza. But I’m practically next door.”

“In New York, you’re not practically next door if you’re more than three blocks away. Which you will be.”

Adam, seeing the prominent frown of Anabel’s lips, reached under the table to take her hand.

“I’m sorry, Eliza.” Her grip tightened on Adam’s hand.

“Oh, god. Don’t apologize. It makes me feel worse, since you do it so rarely.”

“Shut up.”

Seeing the faint smile at the corner of her lips, Eliza relaxed and touched her hair again before going to her seat. Throughout breakfast, she kept her eye on Anabel, made sure she ate a sufficient amount and watched for a frown or a look to hint at unhappiness. She thankfully didn’t see anything of the sort.

Watching her lightheartedly bicker with Adam, Eliza took Will’s hand, holding tight. Her little sister was officially an adult. Now she just had to deal with that.

At least she was going to Queens. It wasn’t like it was Europe or anything.

*

He still managed to wear denim better than any man she knew. Anabel shifted the box in her hands, cocking her head to the side as she watched him bend to pick up a box himself, one heavier than what he’d given her.

“You planning on doing any work?” Eric asked, catching her off guard and making her jump.

“I am.”

“Unless work is staring at Adam’s ass all day, no you aren’t. And if that’s what work is, I’m outta here.”

Adam turned and grinned, and Anabel’s gaze went straight to his bare chest before shooting back up. “Is that—”

“No,” she snapped. “Eric, grab a box and let’s go.”

“This whole family’s fucked up,” he grumbled, doing as she said.

“Eric,” Anabel warned. “Why do you say that?”

“You’re out here checking him out, Beckett’s in there flirting with your neighbor—”

“Stop whining that there’s no one around for you to hit on,” Anabel interrupted, leading the way up to her new apartment.

“I don’t know where to put anything,” Eliza complained as soon as Anabel stepped in. “I’m putting your clothes away, but I don’t know what to do with the rest of it.”

“Me either. The furniture is being delivered Monday, so I guess I’ll just deal with it all then.”

“Then why am I stuck here and being told to unpack stuff?”

Anabel guiltily glanced at Will who suddenly seemed extremely interested in the box labeled shoes.

“Did you just throw a bunch of pairs in here, or…?”

“Of course not. They’re all in boxes.”

“Boxes in a box? Only you, Anabel.”

“I didn’t want them getting ruined!”

“You were both a part of this, weren’t you?” Eliza asked, the frustration in her voice obvious as she caught on. “Just because I’m pregnant—”

“Oh, hey, congrats,” Adam said, coming back from the bedroom where he’d dropped off his box.

“Yeah, thanks. I’m pregnant, not crippled. I can still help you guys—”

“Keep her here,” Adam murmured to Anabel before ducking back out into her building hallway.

“We just don’t want to risk it,” Anabel said, as soothingly as she could. “And we’re tired of Eric always milking being the youngest.”

“You mean like you used to?” she asked.

“You know I can hear you, right?” Eric asked, glaring at Anabel.

“Shut up, Eric. And yes, Eliza, exactly like that. Except I don’t get to milk it anymore thanks to this one, so I want to kick him off the throne too.”

Eliza sighed and sat on the step stool she’d lent Anabel. “Fine. Whatever. Go, hurry up. I’m already bored.”

“Thanks, Liza.” On a rare wave of emotion, Anabel bent to kiss her sister’s cheek before heading back outside.

“You got some smartass comments you wanna share too?” Eliza asked grumpily, more upset at not being able to do this final thing with her sister than actually being stuck alone in an empty apartment, making Eric defensively throw his hands in the air.

“Not me,” he muttered, quickly moving out of the living room. Someone’s mood swings were kicking in a bit early.

“Eric!” she called, sighing. When he tentatively stepped back in, she waved him over, scooting over until he sat beside her. “I’m sorry. That isn’t fair.”

“What isn’t?”

“Taking it out on you. Guess I got used to it, you being the baby and all.” She forced a smile then stopped trying when he put his arms around her shoulders and pulled her to him.

“She’s just twenty minutes away, Eliza.”

“She’s already been away too long. I don’t know why that girl feels she has to do everything on her own. She could stay with the family comfortably, but no.”

Eric sighed, rested his chin on her head. “She’s as stubborn as you. As any of us.”

“That she is.”

“I don’t want her to go either.”

“Oh, Eric.” Now Eliza was the one comforting, her arm going around him as she stroked his hair. “I know you don’t. You had her for the least amount of time.”

“I’m always having her for the least amount of time.” But he shrugged it off, working up the courage to say what he really wanted to. “She’ll hate me when we finally tell her the truth, you know.”

“If you think that, really think that, you don’t know her at all, Eric. She was the first of us to love you, even if she didn’t come outright and say it.”

“I know.” Time was a great thing, sometimes. It healed even the oldest and deepest of wounds, if you let it. The time between had made Eric look back at his first summer on New York almost fondly. “You couldn’t stand me, and Beckett didn’t know what to do with me. But Anabel… it was different with her.”

“She loved you,” Eliza said again. “She loved you then, and she’ll continue to. She was the first; that means something. And of course I couldn’t stand you. Do you remember what you were like at ten?”

“Adorable,” he answered with enough confidence to make her wonder if he really believed that.

“You wish. Your attitude was worse than Anabel’s, and that says something.” She frowned, thought back to that summer. “She wasn’t that bad actually, once you showed up.”

“Told you I’d been a good influence all around.”

“You were a pain in the ass.”

“Well, thanks, Liza.”

“You got it. Now—”

“I said you didn’t have to help,” Anabel said, dropping the box she held on the floor next to where Eric sat before lightly kicking his foot. “You, on the other hand, ought to get off your fat teenage ass and help.”

“I’m not fat.”

“You will be if you keep sitting around doing nothing.”

“I hate you, Anabel.”

She only put her arm around his waist as they stepped out of the building.

*

“We’ll have a potluck dinner or something here,” Eliza said once all the boxes were scattered around Anabel’s new apartment, “once you’re all settled in.”

“I’d like that. And I’d apologize for making it potluck, but that’s probably the lesser of two evils, since…”

“You’re worse in the kitchen than the stereotypical man?” Eric asked, kissing her cheek and hugging her goodbye.

“Shut up.”

“Original,” he teased. “I’ll come by tomorrow, try to help you settle in. Don’t argue.”

“Has he always been that bossy?” Anabel wondered aloud as Beckett hugged her as well.

“I think he gets it from you, actually. He’d always been difficult, but never bossy until he met you.” He grinned. “Anyway, I’ll see you later. Call if you need anything.”

“I will, thanks.”

“Good night, Ana.”

“Bye, Beck.”

Eliza stepped up once he’d gone, tried her best to keep her eyes dry. Had to be the hormones, she thought, and didn’t believe herself for a second. “You lock the door once I leave, okay? Put the chain on and everything. If you get bored or lonely, just come back home, okay?”

“I’ll be fine, El, but thank you.”

“Well, still.”

“Okay, I will.”

“And if you don’t like it, just move back in, all right?”

She laughed and gave in to the urge to hug her tightly. “Okay, Liza.”

“Good.” Eliza turned to Adam, the only one who was still there. “Make sure she locks the door behind you.”

“I will.”

“Good. I don’t want to keep Will waiting so I’ll head down, but seriously—call if you need anything. Or just show up. You have the key, right?”

“Right. Tell Will I said thanks again for all the help.”

“I will. Good night, Anabel.”

“Night, Eliza.”

The door shut quietly behind her and Anabel sighed, hugging her elbows as she turned to her nearly empty apartment. It was so quiet now, still. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that. “And then there were two.”

“So it would seem,” Adam agreed as he stepped to her and caught her chin between his fingers, tilting her head up to lightly press their lips together for a brief second. “Why do you look sad?”

“I haven’t been alone in an apartment since I came back home. It was one of the things I hated most about Europe.”

“So why leave Eliza’s?”

“I wouldn’t want to intrude that way.”

“You know it isn’t intruding. Maybe if it was someone else, but not with your siblings. There’s no such thing as overstepping with you four.”

She smiled and leaned against him. “That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.”

“Happy to help.”

“You could stay, you know, for a while.”

“I could. But right now it’s empty, and you’re lonely and I’d be taking advantage.” It was the best thing he could think of to keep his hands off her. “Some other time.”

He could see the confusion in her eyes when she looked up at him. “Right, okay.”

He kissed her again to ease the sting of it then stepped away. “Do you want to start unpacking?”

What she wanted was to christen every room of her new apartment with him, but that obviously wasn’t a part of his plans. “Yeah, sure.”

What else were they going to do?

“I’ll hook up your TV for you.”

“Okay, I guess I’ll…” She looked around, looking completely lost. “I don’t know what I can do without furniture.”

“Why don’t you stay at someone’s place until Monday?”

“I just wanted to be here tonight. I’m sleeping at Beckett’s tomorrow anyway. I’ll just set up the TV once everything gets here—don’t worry about it.”

“I can come by Monday to help out.”

“If you want.”

Well, he hadn’t expected her to get aloof. He should have, he realized. It wasn’t like she ever did what he expect anyway, but he should have.

And, he thought with a sigh, now he had his work cut out for him.

*

It was why he had flowers sent to her office on Monday. Pink roses, like the ones he’d brought her once.

She knew who they were from before she even checked the card.

For you, it read simply, signed with only his name.

She smiled and placed the vase of roses on her windowsill, glancing at them every so often.

When she got home that evening, Zoe was already waiting for her with Eliza, her furniture exactly where she’d wanted it.

“Oh, you had them place it everywhere correctly!” she cried excitedly, rushing in and dropping her bag on the table before jumping onto the sofa, feet tucked under her. “It’s perfect. Thank you.”

“You left us a floor plan, Ana. Of course it’s all as you wanted it,” Eliza teased, moving onto the sofa beside her sister.

“Thank you, really. And thanks for staying here to sign for the furniture.”

“You’re welcome.” She studied her. “Something happened.”

Anabel looked up, eyes wide and clueless. “What?”

“Something happened. I can’t tell if it’s good or bad. What happened?”

An image of pink roses flashed in her mind and had her blushing. “Nothing.”

“Liar. Spill.”

Zoe stepped out of the kitchen, the hand towel she’d been using still in her hands. “What are you spilling?”

Anabel sighed, knowing it was best to just get the whole thing over with. “Adam had flowers delivered to my office.”

“Oh,” Zoe sighed, taking a seat.

Eliza just smiled, leaning forward and resting her chin in her palm. “Flowers?”

“Pink roses.”

“That’s so sweet,” Zoe cooed.

“Yeah, I guess it is.”

“What?” Eliza asked suspiciously, catching on to what Anabel hadn’t said.

“Nothing.”

“What?”

“I asked him to stay two nights ago. He didn’t. I don’t know what it is about him that keeps making me try even though he doesn’t reciprocate.”

Zoe rolled her eyes, huffing now. “You’re an idiot. He’s dating you, you moron.”

She could only stare at her for a moment before the laughter spilled out of her. “Yeah, right.”

“What do you think he’s doing?”

“I don’t know! We used to have good sex, I know that. So I don’t know why he’s insistent on keeping things so basic with us. Not to say we don’t have great conversation to go with the sex, but there’s no sex. Just great conversation.”

“Anabel, you’re dating,” she said again, her exasperation clear. “He’s not sleeping with you so you guys actually date this time around. Do you know anything about romance?”

“Well, yes, of course I—”

“Dinner, check. Flowers, check. He let you drive his car, for the love of god. What are you, stupid?”

“Enough of the name calling already! I don’t want to date him.”

“Why not?” From Eliza, of course.

“Because… well, I don’t know. Dating is… weird.”

“You’ve dated before.”

“Yeah, but not Adam.”

“What’s wrong with Adam?” Zoe asked, ready to defend.

Her own defensiveness flared. “Nothing. But I’ve already been with him without dating him, so…”

“So he wants to change that.”

“Right. But why? We worked just fine before with—”

“You’re afraid,” Eliza interrupted, awed. “You’re actually afraid of him.”

Anabel laughed even as discomfort tickled the back of her neck. “What do I have to be—”

“You’ve worked hard never to give your heart to a man. You’re afraid it won’t matter with him.”

“Of course not. You’re being ridiculous.”

“He brought you flowers, Anabel,” Zoe said simply, leaning back. She could see it now, the worry written all over her face.

“So? I’ve gotten flowers before.”

“Pink roses?”

“Yes.”

“From whom?”

She winced. “Him.”

“There you go.”

“What does it matter, what kind of flowers?”

“Were there others you liked more?”

“Well,” she hesitated, hating to admit it. “No.”

“Exactly.”

“You’re acting like you’re making a point when you’re not.”

“You know what my—” She glanced at the door when someone buzzed. “Expecting company?”

“I don’t think so.” She went to the window, glanced outside. When Adam waved up at her, she stepped away and buzzed him in.

“Who is it?”

“Adam. And don’t start, seriously. Save it for after he leaves.”

The two girls exchanged grins as she went to get the door.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” He planted a soft greeting of a kiss on her lips. “How’s the furniture?”

She leaned into him, relaxing. “Here, thank god.”

“I’m sure you’re happy about that.”

“Yeah. Yeah, I am. Come take a look.” She led him inside and stood to the side while he observed.

She’d kept it warm and homey, using dark woods to play against the walls she’d left white. Cream colored sofas matched the small computer table she’d left in the corner, the dark coffee table matching the entertainment set, the shelves on either side of it. The lamps were dark iron, the shades cream again. Everything flowed perfectly.

“Looks good.”

“I think so. Now I just have to move everything in.”

“Will you be starting tonight?”

“I want to. Have to. The cable guy’s coming tomorrow.”

“I’ll set up the TV,” he said simply, taking his blazer off and dropping it over the armrest of the sofa. “Hey, Eliza, Zoe.”

“Hi, Adam,” they both chimed, the latter standing to hug him in greeting.

“You look good.”

He laughed as Zoe plucked some lint off his shoulder. “Thanks, Zo.”

“Did you just come from work?”

“Yeah. I got held up for a bit.”

“Cool. Chris wants to watch some game sometime this week.”

“I’ll call him.”

She grinned. “Good. What do you need us to do, Anabel?”

She looked around, shrugged. “Pick a box, I guess?”

“Sounds good.”

“Eliza, would you mind fixing me something to eat? I’m starved.”

She glared at her younger sister. “I know what you’re doing. I can unpack boxes—”

“I know. And I know you know what I’m doing. But I’m still hopeless in the kitchen and I’m still hungry. Care to help me with that problem, since I can handle the unpacking one?”

“You’re such a pain, Anabel.”

“Be that as it may.”

She sighed, but nodded anyway before going into the tiny kitchen. It was quaint, though small. Here Anabel had done the least, only hanging up an enlarged picture of Parisian café Anabel had taken while in Europe. Other than it, the walls were bare, the cabinets empty save what she herself had given her, convinced they were the basics of every kitchen, even one that would hardly be used.

Outside in the living room, Zoe worked on unpacking Anabel’s work boxes while Anabel unpacked the first of many boxes of books.

“Do you have so much of everything you own?”

Anabel spared Adam a single glance. “What?”

“You had boxes and boxes of shoes. The same goes for your clothes. Now your books. Are you like this with everything?”

“Just the things I like best.” She carefully arranged the series together, not by the author’s name but rather by the size of the books, starting from the largest.

He hummed, crossing his legs and loosening his tie as he tried untangling the wires. When he started grumbling to himself under his breath, Anabel looked up from her books, watching him almost fondly for a moment before going to him and kneeling behind him, her hands on his shoulders. She worked the muscles there, loosening them and pressing a light kiss to his temple.

“Adam?”

“Hm?” He continued untangling the wires.

“Thank you for the flowers. They were lovely.”

Now he did look at her, away from the wires wrapped around his fingers. “You’re welcome.”

She shifted and somehow ended up straddling his waist, her fingers knotting in his hair as she brought her lips a breath away from his and stopped, staring into his eyes. “I—”

“What are you waiting for?” he asked simply when she didn’t continue, fingers flexing around the wires.

“That,” she said bluntly, needing to know that even if he wasn’t acting on it for whatever reason, he still wanted her. When their lips met, she made a soft sound, melting against him, and made every muscle in his body clench. Freeing his fingers of the wires, he wrapped his arms around her, held her tightly against him. Just as he considered moving, pressing her against the floor and taking her then and there, someone cleared their throat.

“None of that now,” Eliza chastised as she strode into the living room with a pot of ravioli in hand, Zoe following her with a pitcher of water and the cute little glasses Anabel had bought.

“Sorry,” Anabel murmured, getting up and going to sit on the sofa after brushing off her jeans, and some of her dignity. “We got a little distracted.”

“We noticed,” Zoe teased, enjoying the look of discomfort on Adam’s face.

He was the one clearing his throat now as he got to his feet. “Sorry about that.”

“We don’t mind,” Eliza said cheerfully, handing him a bowl. “Sorry about the Can Dinner.”

“Can dinner?”

“You know, dinner from a can.”

“Oh, no, this is perfectly fine. Thanks.”

“Absolutely. Maybe I can help you set the TV up after we eat.”

“Sure. My mother was always an expert at untangling wires. Said it was a women’s thing. Something about necklaces. Maybe you could figure that out.”

“Bet I can.”

“Speaking of,” Anabel said, glancing at the watch she wore, “Zoe lost the bet.”

“What? No, I—it’s already past eight?” She frowned. “Dammit.”

Anabel grinned at Eliza. “You’re next.”

“He might still show up.”

“You overestimate him.”

“Maybe you underestimate him.”

Adam, figuring this would never make sense unless he asked, spoke up. “What’s going on?”

“Oh, we always place bets on when either Beckett or Eric will show up. They’re always late, so… Zoe had said quarter to eight. I said thirty past. Anabel, the daring soul, said quarter past nine.”

Adam grinned at them, shaking his head. “What does the winner get?”

“Still working on that.”

“And you guys just always do this?”

“Well, sure. Why not?”

“Why not?” he repeated simply, grinning, as he took a bite of his dinner and let the conversation drop.

It picked up again at twenty-some past nine, when Eric strode in.

Anabel took one look at him then the clock and grinned. “I win.”

“Yeah, yeah. We know,” Zoe grumbled, arranging candles on the windowsill.

“Win what?”

Both Eliza and Anabel looked up at his tone. Adam carefully continued hooking a wire into the TV, trying his best to respect their privacy.

Anabel slowly crossed the floor to him, studying his face. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Eric—”

“Leave me alone, Anabel. You did a good enough job of it the last few years.” He ignored the pang of guilt, continued ignoring it when he saw her eyes widen and the guilt increased. “What do you want me to do?”

Anabel spoke before Eliza could step in. “Whatever you want,” she said coolly, “or nothing if you prefer it. We have some ravioli left over in the kitchen. Help yourself.”

“I don’t mooch,” he snapped. “Tell me what you want from me.”

“Not a damn thing.” Some of the heat brewing under the surface had shown in her words, but she took a deep breath, trying to keep her movements brisk and her expression clear.

“Fine. Then I’m getting the fuck out of here.”

“Your decision.” She lifted a shoulder in a delicate half shrug, not stopping him when he turned.

He made it to the door before turning back. He huffed. “That was fucked up. I’m sorry.”

“I expected it. After all, I gave Beckett that same kind of grief upon his return.”

He didn’t even have it in him to make fun of the pretentious way she spoke. Deliberately ignoring Adam’s glare, he kept his gaze steadily on Anabel. “You didn’t say it was okay.”

“So it seems I didn’t.”

“Damn it, Anabel. I said I was sorry.”

Zoe waved Adam over as she politely stepped out into the hall. Adam hesitated, then followed.

“I heard you,” Anabel said simply as she watched them go before turning towards a box and pulling out a vase from it.

“Anabel—”

“When you were ten, you yelled at Beckett for yelling at me.” She shot him a bland glance over her shoulder as she ripped the paper they’d wrapped all the breakables in. “Interesting how life works, no?”

Though Eliza wanted desperately to step in, partially because Eric looked completely miserable and Anabel reserved that tone only for when she was ever upset, she kept her mouth firmly shut and let them duke it out on their own.

“Can you maybe look at me?” he asked exasperatedly, crossing the space to her and taking her shoulders before spinning her to face him.

“You aren’t giving me much of an option, though I can’t see how this request is compatible with your earlier one to leave you alone.”

“I didn’t mean that.”

“You meant it enough when you said it.” She pulled away from him, turned back to the middle shelf where she was setting up a display.

“Anabel, come on. I’m having a shitty enough night as it is.”

“That isn’t my business.”

Fine, he thought angrily, be stubborn. “Beckett and I got into this thing before I got here and he’s being a dick—”

Now Eliza did step in. “Eric,” she said sharply, and it was enough to make him wince.

Despite herself, Anabel went his defense. “Eliza, I call Beckett names all the time.”

She didn’t even look at her sister, but continued to glare at Eric until he sighed, hunched his shoulders. “You’re right, I shouldn’t say that. I’m just mad.”

Anabel looked between her two siblings, clueless.

“And you just say all sorts of stuff when you’re mad,” Eliza said, raising an eyebrow.

He sighed, but didn’t say anything as he turned back to Anabel. “I’m really sorry, Anabel.”

“Stop looking so miserable,” she muttered, going towards her front door. “It’s making me want to forgive you and that just pisses me off more.” She pulled the door open. “Hey, sorry about this.”

“Don’t worry about it, really, but Chris is downstairs, so…” Zoe said apologetically, biting her lip as Anabel eased the door shut behind her.

“Oh, yeah, sure. I am sorry, though. I didn’t—”

“Stop, Anabel. Just feed him something—it’ll probably help his crankiness. Tell him and Eliza I said bye.” She gave her a quick hug and waved at Adam before rushing down the stairs.

“Look, if you want to leave—”

“I don’t. Excuse me.” He brushed past her, leaving her standing alone in the hall, baffled. When she stepped back inside, he was glowering at Eric, mid-sentence. “—business, but don’t take your issues out on her. She deserves better than that, and you—”

“Adam,” Anabel said, hating the unhappy frown Eric wore. “Stop, it’s fine.”

“He shouldn’t just get to—”

“I know, Adam. Thank you, for standing up for me and everything.” She leaned up to kiss his cheek. “Really, thank you, but it’s fine. Promise. Come help me heat up dinner for him.”

“But—”

“Please, Adam?”

He frowned, sighed, and dragged his feet on the way to the kitchen, but he still went with her, taking the bowl from her when she took too long to spoon the ravioli into the dish. Placing it in the microwave, he put it to heat for one minute then spun on her, cornering her against a counter and capturing her lips.

It took her a second to move past the surprise, to react at all, and he used the moment to take her around her waist, lift her to the tips of her toes. Just as she moved her fingers into his hair, the microwave went off and Adam abruptly dropped her back on her feet, stepping away.

“I’m sorry,” he said, taking the bowl out. “That wasn’t fair of me. I was annoyed at Eric and doing that was no better than—”

“It was much better,” she interjected, taking a fork and leading the way outside, where Eric sat, setting up the TV remote. “So don’t apologize.”

“I took care of the wires,” Eric said, passing the remote to Adam and taking the bowl. “To kind of make up for being a dick.”

“Thanks,” Anabel said, sitting beside him. “I’m done for the night. I need sleep.”

“Can I stay?” Eric asked in between bites. “I have no problem taking the couch.”

“Sure.”

“I mean, unless…” He glanced questioningly at Adam.

It was Anabel who answered after a moment of awkward silence. “No, you can stay.”

“Are you sure? If you’re still mad at me, I can—”

“Just call Beckett and let him know.”

“Okay.”

“And if you’re thinking you’ll stay here because you can get away with sneaking—”

“Come on, Anabel. I’m not going to sneak out.”

“Or—”

“Or sneak anyone in.”

“It’s creepy how you two do that,” Eliza commented, head cocked. It was a gesture Adam recognized and wondered who had rubbed off on whom.

“You and Anabel do that all the time.”

“Maybe. But we’re weird.”

“Yeah, you are.”

Adam, still wound up, wondered how they were so quickly back to being normal, joking around with one another and acting as though nothing had happened. Anabel, he had reason to believe, wasn’t a forgiving soul. Yet, when Eric finished wolfing down his dinner, Anabel immediately got to her feet to get him seconds. She only sat again when he shook his head at her and stood to get his food himself.

“What’s up with him and Beckett?” Anabel whispered the second he was out of the room.

Eliza winced, hesitated, then shook her head. “I can’t, Ana.”

Her eyebrow rose as she sat back, and Adam watched her face change, watched the warmth shift to cool indifference. “Still keeping secrets, I see.”

“Anabel, you weren’t around when they told me—”

“You too are throwing that in my face? And here I expected more of you, at the very least.”

“I’m not—”

“You’ll have to excuse me. I’m tired and I have work in the morning. Feel free to stay as long as you please. Adam, I’ll walk you out.”

Not knowing what else he could do, he stood and offered Eliza a warm smile before following her sister out the door.

“I’m sorry to rush you along like this, but—”

“You’ve had a long day,” he said simply. “I understand.”

She wasn’t sure he did. “Exactly. Thank you.”

“Sure. Uhm, your TV’s hooked up and working, Eric set up your remote and stuff so… if you need anything else, let me know.”

“Certainly. Good night, Adam.”

She’d planned to give a brief peck good night, but when her lips touched his, his arms wound around her, held her to him, and her brain turned to liquid. All the stress of the night drained out of toes that barely brushed the ground.

He needed to get a grip. If he couldn’t handle a casual good night kiss, how was he supposed to handle anything as far as she was concerned? Her breath caught and she made the smallest sound, and he fumbled to reign himself in. Slowly, carefully, he drew away, let her slide down his body until her feet were flat on the ground again to test her as much as himself. He was pleased to see her eyes clouded, her lips swollen. She trembled against him.

“Good night, Anabel.” With a brush of lips against her cheek, he turned and headed down the steps.

He wondered how long he could keep this up.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... This was a really long chapter, guys. To state the obvious. Lol. I wanted to shorten it... And then I didn't. (I'm totally saying that in a John Mulaney voice in my head.)

Anyway. The last bit of this chapter was really dialogue-heavy and I don't know how I feel about that. I do, however, know that I like grown up Eric.

The next chapter will probably focus more on Adam, so that should be fun. Comments would make me happy!