Relative Design

Chapter 1

“Can I get a vodka cran, please?” Anabel asked the bartender, leaning casually against the bar, a smile playing on her lips as her eyes stared directly at him. She was a firm believer in the no-pretenses delivery. Fluttering eyelashes would get her nothing with a city barkeep.
He nodded even as he got a glass and began pouring. When he slid the glass to her, asking her about the tab, she nodded and turned away, her back to him. When the girl beside her flirtatiously asked for a Sex on the Beach, she rolled her eyes. Her eyes scanned the bar and, seeing one of the girls in her group, a late arrival, her lips curved.
“Anabel!” she called loudly, giggling as she leaned over to hug her.
Finishing her drink, she hugged the girl back, grinning. “Hey, Chloe. Who did you bring with?”
“Just the usual group and Zoe.”
Anabel only rolled her eyes again, spotting the unwelcome girl by the bar. So long as Zoe didn’t bother her, it wasn’t anything she had to concern herself with, as far as she could tell.
“Let’s dance!” she said over the loud music, grabbing Chloe’s hand and leading her to the dance floor.
The night had just begun and only three drinks had been drunk, but the party was already underway.

“Yo, Ben, can’t we just stay in the bus today? I’m tired, man,” Adam groaned, running a hand through the dark hair that often hung in his eyes. He was tired, not to mention annoyed, and cranky.
Living on a tour bus for two months with three other guys and one girl could do that to a man.
“Dude, you need to loosen up. This is just what you need.”
“Yeah, right.”
Ben lightly punched Adam’s arm, hardly bothered with his friend’s sour mood as Eric laughed, turning to face him.
“Adam, why are you so annoyed anyway? It's supposed to be a great place.” He nodded at the group of women standing a few feet away.
Adam forced a laugh, not at all in the mood. Dammit, didn’t a guy deserve a night of uninterrupted sleep sometimes?
The group of four entered the club, quickly spreading out to different corners. Adam saw them split and made his way to the bar, figuring it was the safest bet, and ordered a soda.
“Excuse me? Adam Martin?” a girl by his elbow asked, claiming his attention.
“Yeah?”
"I thought that was you! are you guys touring in New York?"
"Tonight was our last show."
“Oh," she said with an exaggerated pout. "Can I maybe get an autograph?”
He nodded, smiling slightly as he signed the napkin she handed him, handing it back.
“Thank you! I'm so bummed I won't get to see you guys during this tour.”
“Next time hopefully,” he murmured, his eyes moving to the dance floor, before he forced himself to admit he was really out of it if he was brushing fans off. He knew it was them he owed everything to; without them, he wasn’t anyone important, just the drummer of some band that had failed.
Before he could contemplate it any further, his eyes landed on a brunette moving her body to the beat right in the middle of the dance floor, seeming to be the center of the party.

“Anabel! Zoe’s already drunk. I have to go take care of her. If I’m forced to leave, I’ll text you, alright?” Chloe asked, dancing away.
Anabel shrugged, continuing her dance with some guy. The song slowly drew to an end, and Anabel began pulling away.
“Wait, where are you going?”
She delicately shrugged a shoulder, wiggling her fingers at him in a careless wave, just to be intercepted by a tall, lean body.
“Can I steal a dance?”
She quickly sized him up, head tilted to the side. Battered up sneakers, loose t-shirt, baggy jeans, messy hair… how did he even get in here?
“I don’t think so.”
A slow grin slipped onto his lips as he let her brush past him, her nose in the air. He was going to let her go and maybe approach her again later, he really was, but then his hand was on her elbow, and she was turning to glare at him.
“Don’t touch me.”
The vehemence in her voice had him holding his hands up, palms facing her. “Hey, sorry. It’s loud in here; I was just trying to get your attention.”
“I bet,” she all but snarled, and it surprised him someone so… tiny could have such a huge attitude problem. “What do you want?”
“I wouldn’t mind a dance.”
She rolled her eyes and turned, pushing between a couple rudely on her way to the bar.
Maybe the night wouldn’t completely suck.
He found her again outside of the club, talking to Ben. Casual as could be, though it cost him, he strolled to the two, hating when her smile turned to a scowl and she rolled her eyes when she saw him. He ignored it, casually keeping his hands in the pockets of his jeans.
“Hey, Adam. What’s up?”
He carefully kept his gaze away from the dark haired girl. “Not much, man. Are the rest on their way out?”
“I think so. I texted them too. Can we get food or something? I’m hungry.”
He smirked. “You usually are. Ask Bree—she’s in charge.”
“She must really like being the only girl. Speaking of… this is Anabel.”
He did look at her now, raising an eyebrow at her confused expression, pretending he only just noticed her. “Hey.”
“You two know each other?” she asked Ben, frowning.
“Sure, don’t you remember him? It’s okay if you don’t; he’s only the drummer.”
“Fuck you, asshole,” Adam laughed, running a hand through his hand. “Remember me?”
“Oh, this is Eliza’s sister. I think you two briefly met?”
He remembered immediately, much to his surprise, and saw the realization dawn on her a mere second before it did him.
“Oh, yeah,” she began, smiling sweetly. “I think that makes tonight the second time you’ve hit on me now.”
“I’m sure you’re used to it,” he replied easily. “Though if I remember correctly, you’d still be a bit too young to be drinking.”
Her eyebrow rose, but she handled it with grace, shrugging. “Maybe a little, though I can’t see how it’d be any of your concern.”
Ben cleared his throat. “Uhm—oh, look, it’s the rest of the guys.”
“We don’t need an announcement alerting our presence, Ben,” his twin sister, Bree, teased, nudging him. “Was that so bad, Adam?”
He kept his gaze on Anabel’s. “Could’ve been better.”
She rolled her eyes away from him.
“Aw, poor—do I know you?” Bree asked suddenly, finally noticing the new girl.
“Anabel. I’m Eliza’s sister.”
She made an O with her lips, holding out a hand. “Nice to meet you. Again, I mean.”
“You, too.”
“Are you coming out with us? I’m sure we’re going somewhere to eat.” She glanced at Ben who nodded his confirmation. “We could use someone who knows where to go this time of night.”
“Oh, I don’t—”
Adam easily cut her off with arrogance that wasn’t missed. “We can figure something out, Bree—”
“Actually, I don’t have any other plans tonight. I know some places I could take you to.” The words had escaped before she could tell herself to keep her mouth shut, and the regret came with the declaration immediately.
Adam’s responding smirk would’ve been impossible to miss, but she wished she had.

She ended up being seated next to him on the bus, much to her dismay. There were too many people for the small space before the bunks and behind the driver, so every seat on the makeshift couches were taken. The denim of Adam’s jeans was pressed snugly against the bare skin of her thigh, her sequined black dress even shorter when she was sitting. She suddenly regretted her outfit for the night.
To her surprise, he kept his hands to himself, and his eyes off her.
She was used to attention from men, usually the wrong kind, and it was almost weird to not receive any from Adam. She didn’t like him any more for it, but she did respect him for it.
“Any diners or anything?” Bree asked, continuing her conversation with Anabel. “I mean, we love those fun places, but we could all use an easier night.”
“Uhm… oh! There’s a diner I know of in Queens. Good burgers and stuff.”
“Great! Do you know how to get there?”
She nodded, leaning over to tell the driver. When she leaned back, she met Adam’s eyes.
“Wouldn’t have pegged you for a diner kind of girl.”
She only shrugged, but he saw her frown and couldn’t help but wonder at it.
“Are you going to eat?”
She guiltily glanced at the large silver dial on her wrist, biting her lip. It was nearly two in the morning.
“It’s taking you an awfully long time to answer.”
“I’m not sure yet.”
“You’re not one of those girls, are you?”
She turned to glare at him and had him smirking again. Before she could reply, her phone was ringing. “What?”
“Bite my head off, why don’t you?” Eliza asked, laughing, and Anabel could all but actually see her lounging back in the sitting room chair.
She sat back herself, her tense muscles relaxing as she crossed her legs comfortably. “Hah, hah. Funny. How was your night?”
“Good.” She sighed. “My date was a dud.”
“Ouch. That sucks. Where do you find these people?”
“Not the right place, apparently. I don’t hear the loud thudding in the background like usual. Where are you?”
“We’re going to eat.”
“You? You’re going to eat this late?”
The amusement in her sister’s voice had Anabel grinding her teeth together. “Maybe.”
“Oh, An, don’t get mad. Who are you with? Chloe and Company?”
“Uhm, no, actually. Zoe showed up and Chloe had to take her home.”
There was a long pause on the other end. “Please don’t tell me you’re off with some guy you don’t know, Anabel.”
“Actually, I’m with—” Now she was the one hesitating. A glance around showed everyone involved in their own conversations, except of course Adam. Snoopy jackass. She turned away. “Uhm, I’m with that band you signed a couple of years ago. We’re going to that diner you and I go to all the time.”
Another pause. Anabel resisted the urge to roll her eyes for what probably would've been the hundredth time that night. “You’re hanging out with musicians?”
“Yeah. We were all at the same club.”
“You said the diner? I’ll meet you there.”
“Eliza, stay, relax. You deserve to after yet another bad date—”
“Bitch.”
Anabel laughed, taking the insult as it was meant. “The best. Honestly, don’t worry. I’ll take a cab home.”
“But—”
“I’m fine, Eliza. Good night.”
She sighed. “You’re such a pain in the ass. I’ll keep my phone on me. Good night.”
“Sleep well.”
“We could take you home,” Adam said, as soon as he was certain she’d hung up.
“I can get home fine, thanks.”
“I’m not saying you can’t, I’m just saying we could take you. Make your life easier.”
“I’m good, thanks. It’s New York, I—”
“Are you always this opposed to someone helping you out?” Adam asked affably, not the least bit bothered despite Anabel’s efforts.
“When that person is you, yes.”
“And what is your opposition to me?”
“I don’t like you.”
“Do you even have a reason behind that?”
“I wasn’t aware I needed one.”
His eyebrow rose as he smiled and he turned away, jumping into conversation with Jake, Bree’s boyfriend, without missing a beat.
“Do you, uh, want to change or anything?” Bree asked as the driver pulled up in front of the diner. “You may be a bit, uh, overdressed.”
Anabel shrugged, getting to her feet. “I’ve been here dressed in worse. Thanks, though.”
“Sure, I mean, if you’re comfortable…” She followed Anabel out, watching as Adam laughed with the guys by the entrance. “He’s into you, you know.”
“He makes it pretty hard to miss.”
“You could stand to be a little nicer to him, even if you’re not into him.”
Anabel glanced at her from the corner of her eye and saw the girl frowning at her. “Yeah, I don’t think he’ll really get the message—”
“He will. He’s a decent guy.”
“I’m sure,” she answered with little patience.
“I’m not trying to pitch him to you; he can do that for himself. But he’s my friend and I’m protective, so if you’re—”
“I have no intentions of—”
“Are you two coming?” Adam asked, poking his head out the door. He kept his eyes trained on Bree and ignored the pout Anabel wore.
“Yeah, yeah. Have some patience, would you?”
He’d hoped Anabel would’ve been the one to answer, but left it alone. “For you, darling? Anything.”
“Kiss up.”
“Only sometimes.” He moved out of the way, holding the door for the two women and took a moment to appreciate the view as Anabel stepped forward in her heels. Those had to give her an additional five inches, at least.
“Do we already have a table, Adam?”
“Hm?” He shook his head. “On the right.”
Bree led the way, purposely taking a seat on the side of the table where there were two empty seats. Adam grinned at her but said nothing and good-naturedly took his seat next to Jake. Anabel kept her irritation at bay and sat next to Bree.
He was attractive, she had to give him that much. Especially for a drummer.
No, not for a drummer, she thought with a frown. He was attractive, drummer or not. But… she didn’t like musicians. And she certainly didn’t like boys in ripped jeans who had unreliable careers and hadn’t been to college and…
Then again, it was summer, she was available and unattached and he was… well, he was a drummer. A summer fling might be nice.
Feeling eyes on him, he tilted his head and met Anabel’s gaze.
She smiled, her first invitation of the night, making him raise an eyebrow in response.
“I’m impressed you know a place with jukeboxes on every table,” he began, casting a sideways glance at the mini jukebox at the end of the table.
“Well, the place has been around since the nineties. They haven’t changed it very much.”
“I like it.”
“Me too.”
He smiled as she dropped her gaze to the menu. “What do you recommend?”
“Uh…” She bit her lip, tilted her head to see his menu better. “The chicken parm is pretty good. Number seventeen is, too. Uhm…”
He looked up, tried to hide a smile at her concentrated expression. “Bree, switch with me.”
“Huh? But—” She broke off with a sigh at his narrow eyed look and nodded. “Okay.”
After the seats had been changed, Adam leaned towards the most dressed up girl at the table, not missing the flirty look she shot him. “You were saying?”
She used a perfectly done French manicured nail to point. “This grilled chicken sandwich with cheese is pretty good, and so is the Pizza Burger. It’s what they’re known for.”
“Is that what you’re getting?”
She snuck another glance at her watch, biting her lip again. This time Adam caught her wrist, turning it so she couldn’t see the time.
“Indulge a little.”
Her eyebrow shot up in response to his bossiness. But he had a charming way about him, she hated to admit. Besides, she’d been tempted even before he’d spoken. “No, that’s not what I’m getting.”
“What, then?” he asked, dismayed.
“A Belgian waffle with vanilla ice cream.”
“A what?”
She flipped a page, pointed again. “That.”
“That? Is that any good?”
“It’s amazing. Maybe I’ll let you try it, if you’re lucky.”
He only grinned at the implication, shaking his head. “You—”
“Hello, I’m Erica. I’ll be your waitress for the night. Can I start you off with some drinks?”
“Uhm, I think we’re ready to order?” Bree said unsurely, looking around the table after they’d all agreed to water.
After the orders had been placed, everyone ordering something different, Adam turned his attention back to Anabel. “I think you were telling me something?”
“I was saying you should tell me about yourself.”
He launched into it, impressing her with his ease at the change in conversation. “As you know, I’m the drummer of a band, and I tour quite a bit, which is my second favorite part about it. I take great pleasures in travelling, among other things. One of them being attractive women.”
He kept the facts simple, earning another curve of unpainted lips. “What’s your first favorite?”
“The music, of course,” he answered simply, impressed at the way she managed to keep from swooning at the compliment.
“Ah, of course.”
“Were you expecting me to say groupies?”
“I’m sure it’s not that far down the list.”
“On the contrary.”
“Oh?”
“You have quite a way with skepticism, Anabel.”
“I’ve been known for it, on occasion.”
“Hm. I’ve never met an Anabel before.”
The baffled tone and furrowed brow told her he was being completely honest. “It’s not that uncommon.”
“I don’t know, I meet a lot of people, you know,” he teased, grinning when she rolled her eyes halfheartedly.
“It’s decreased in popularity, but it’s still higher than it was in—” Her poker face dissolved into one of complete surprise, eyes wide and cheeks scarlet.
“Oh, don’t stop on my account. Higher than?”
She shook her head, trying to keep her remaining dignity intact. Honestly, was she about to give an interested guy a lesson on her name?
“Okay, don’t tell me. Now, is it Annabelle, like with two n’s and l’s?”
She barely hesitated. “No. One n, one l, no e at the end.”
“Simple.”
She laughed at the irony, wondering if her name would ever stop contradicting her. “I guess.”
“Oh, sorry, is that insulting?”
“Absolutely not,” she assured, and almost believed herself.

He ended up in the cab with her, insisting on making sure she got home safely.
“Are you still in that same place?”
“Yeah, just down the block, third house on the right. You really didn’t have to come all this—who…?” She fumbled with the door when the cab pulled over, ungracefully climbing out of the car after passing the fare to the driver before Adam could argue. Leaning on the car, she pulled off her shoes and was already running towards the house while Adam was still climbing out of the cab.
Forgetting all her normal fuss, she ran onto the lawn as the man who sat there got to his feet, catching her when she launched herself at him. The heels she kept in pristine condition fell carelessly onto the grass.
When she patted his shoulder, he put her down and she leaned back, taking his face in her hands. “Oh, god, let me look at you.”
“No tears, Anabel, I mean it.”
She was grinning as she said, “What will you do, leave again?”
He winced. “Ouch.”
“You had it coming. How was Europe to you?”
“Terrible.”
“Let me rephrase. How were the women?”
“Worse.”
Her laugh was the most genuine of anything Adam had heard from her all night and he continued watching the encounter with interest, hands in his pockets. He would hold out on judgment until he knew what was going on.
Or, at the very least, he’d try.
“You always had a way about you. What are you doing here? On the lawn at… what time is it?”
“Hell, I don’t know. I’m still on the European time schedule.”
“You didn’t answer the more important question, Beckett. Why are you on the lawn?”
“I think Eliza’s asleep. Or she’s just ignoring my calls and can’t hear the bell from wherever she is in the house.”
“She’s probably sleeping. Now, why are you here?”
He sighed and shoved his hands in his pockets, shoulders hunching. “I want to come home.”
“Then welcome back.”
“Before you—wait, who’s that?”
Anabel turned, following his gaze, and burned red. First the name thing, now this. She was normally much better at… everything. With a heavy sign, she admitted her defeat. “Oh, sorry. Adam,” she called, waiting until he was standing beside her to continue, “this is Beckett. Beckett, Adam.”
He managed a smile as he held out his hand, sizing Beckett up. Tall, as tall as him, give or take given the uneven ground they stood on, and as confused as he was. “Nice to meet you.”
“You, too.” He looked at Anabel, held his tongue about her blush. “Your date for the night?”
“No, just…” She shuffled her bare feet and let the coolness of the green, green grass relax her, “someone I know.”
“And you’d be?” Adam asked when it was obvious Anabel was doing her best to keep everything vague.
“Her brother. Someone you know, Anabel? Come on, even you can do better.”
“Wait, you have a brother?” Adam asked, watching as she put her fingers on her forehead and began lightly massaging.
“Okay, Adam, I’ll call you. I clearly have some stuff to… who is that?” she asked, eyes landing on the small figure still on the grass. There was a headache brewing.
“Yeah, that’s what I needed to talk to you about before you welcomed me home.”
“Right, of course. Okay, uhm… Adam, I will call you. I’m so sorry, but I’ve clearly got some stuff to work out here.”
“Yeah, sure,” he said, backing off the lawn. “See you around.”
“Yeah—wait, I need your number.” When he took out his phone, she changed her mind, giving him hers instead. “You wait three days to call me and I won’t answer. I’m sorry about this. Thanks for… yeah.”
“Sure,” he laughed, putting his phone away. “Bye, Anabel.”
“Bye, Adam.” She waited until he was back in the cab to turn to her brother. “What is going on?”
“Okay, so I need you to keep your shit, okay?”
She tried squinting against the lights that obscured the boy’s features. “Good start.”
“Yeah. So this,” he began, waving the boy over, “is Eric.”
He had to be nine, his shaggy auburn hair much too long and his worn clothes a size too big. “Okay… is he yours?”
“Yes.”
“You had a kid?”
“What?” Beckett asked, genuinely lost. Then, as he understood, his jaw dropped open. “No! No, not like that. He isn’t mine like that, but he’s mine.”
Now Anabel was the one staring at him in confusion. “I don’t understand.”
“I’ll explain everything, I swear. Can we go inside or something?”
“Yeah, sure, but…” She sighed and bent at the knees to get her shoes. As she did, she caught notice of the darkened skin on Eric’s jaw. “I’m Anabel.”
“I heard.”
Her eyebrows rose of their own accord as her eyes widened. She managed to bite back any retorts, leading the way up the walkway to the front door.
“Eliza’s going to be furious, you know.”
“Yeah, I know.”
“Better brace yourself.”
“Like that would help.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So... this chapter was written a while ago, but I think I may like it. As always, rating and commenting is appreciated!