Relative Design

Chapter 4

She leaned against the bar, diet soda in hand and sighed. She was crankier than usual, her feet hurt, and she was tired of sweaty men pressing against her in their tragic attempts of dancing. Her friends had all dispersed, drinking their drinks and dancing with whoever came their way, and she just wanted to go home.
What the fuck was wrong with her?
“Hey.”
Anabel tilted her head to the side, met Zoe’s dark brown eyes and noticed the soda in her hand. “Hey.”
“You’re usually somewhere in there,” she pointed at the mass of thrashing bodies, “being the life of the party. What are you doing on the outskirts?”
She shrugged. “Crowd sucks.”
“I don’t know, I saw some cute guys.”
She hardened her stare, put a little mean in her voice. “Crowd sucks.”
Zoe shrugged, sighing. “I’m not scared of you, Anabel, so you can put your popular bitch girl act to rest. We’re not in high school anymore. Grow up.”
Her eyes narrowed. They hadn't been in high school for less than two months. “Excuse me?”
“You heard me, Anabel.  I’m not here to argue with you. My friends and I just happen to be in the same club as you. I saw you here by yourself so I thought I’d say hi.”
She held back her normal attitude, her urge to tell her she could now say bye, and shrugged. “Okay.”
“You’re never going to change, are you?”
“What?”
“Popular bitch to the end. What will you do now that you’ve graduated, Anabel? College is a lot bigger and a lot meaner. I’m not saying you can’t handle it, but heads up.”
What was with everyone’s need for these talks today?
“Shut up, Zoe.” She sighed, ran a hand through her hair. “Will your friends miss you if you leave?”
“I could tell them to meet me somewhere.”
“There’s a restaurant down the block.”
“Give me a minute.”
Five minutes later, they were entering a fast food joint Zoe insisted on. Not Anabel’s first choice, but she’d settle. A glance at the watch told her it was a little past eleven.
Pathetic.
“You want anything?”
Anabel shook her head, eyes raking across the menu. “No, thanks.”
“Suit yourself.”
As Anabel got a table, Zoe went to order, joining her at the table several minutes later with a bag of food.
“I got you a cheeseburger, just in case. Here.”
Anabel watched her curiously as she reached into the bag. “Thanks.”
“Sure.”
“Why are you being so…” She waved her hand in some fluttery gesture even she couldn't interpret.
“Nice?” Zoe finished, laughing. “I don’t want to be. Some part of me hates you for being such a bitch to me, but you look tired and annoyed. Guess I’m just a better person than you.”
She wouldn’t deny that. “Right.”
She shrugged, chewing on a fry. “Besides, I don’t recall ever having seen you with just a soda in your hand, standing at the bar. I figured something must be seriously wrong.”
“You’re pissing me off, Zoe.”
“I figure I’m entitled,” she said, grinning.
She rolled her eyes, lips twitching, and reached out to unwrap her burger. “Guess you’ve got some sort of point. Thanks for the food. How much do I—”
“I’m holding enough grudges against you, Anabel. Don’t add to that list.”
“Fair enough. You know, you’re not half bad, Zoe,” Anabel admitted.
“Wow. Thank you for that ringing endorsement. I'm awed by your kindness, your generosity.”
She laughed, crossing her legs. “Yeah, yeah. In my defense, because I feel at this point I ought to start defending myself, you weren’t this cool in high school.”
She rolled her eyes. It didn’t matter that she didn't care for Anabel’s approval, but it was nice knowing you were good enough and it was the other person who’d been wrong when it’d coming to judging you. “I’m the same; it’s you who has changed in this last week.”
“No, you came on a lot stronger in high school. It was why I didn’t like—”
“You never gave me a chance, Anabel. I didn’t care that you were the popular girl, or the bitch of our high school. I liked your clothes, figured we’d be cool friends. That’s all. Don’t sit there pretending you ever gave me a shot.”
“Maybe. Maybe you’re right.”
“I am right. I don’t partake in this bullshit girl drama. When it turned out the shit people said about you was true, I left you alone. It wasn’t my fault we kept ending up at the same clubs. I’ve got taste too, you know.”
Anabel’s brow furrowed. “Chloe always—”
“Ugh, that girl,” she scoffed. “For someone so classy, you have poor taste in minions.”
She smiled wryly, not correcting her about the minions. “I’m beginning to think so.”
“Took you long enough.”
“Seriously, Zoe, shut up.” The words were said jokingly and received with a smile.
“You—”
“Anabel?”
She turned at the sound of her name, a blush crawling up her neck when she saw Adam. “Oh, hey.”
He grinned at her, slowly approaching as he gauged her reaction. She seemed surprised, but not like she wanted him to go away. He tested her further by brushing his lips against hers in greeting when he approached her table. “Are you always this overdressed when you go out to eat?”
She rolled her eyes almost jokingly though the brief kiss had had her toes curling. “Funny. I was at the club down the street. What’re you doing here?”
“We were hungry.” He glanced back at the guys he’d come with, some friends from high school he hadn’t seen since the last tour had started.
“Oh, cool.”
At the almost awkward pause in conversation, Zoe cleared her throat, bringing Adam’s attention to her. “I’m Zoe.”
“Adam. Nice to meet you.”
“You, too.” Feeling daring, she rested her elbows on the table. His friends were cute.
“Why don’t you guys join us?”
Anabel flushed. “I’m sure Adam and his friends—”
“—Would love to," he finished, running a hand down her hair. God, she had great hair. “I’ll be right back.”
Anabel barely managed to wait until he was several feet away. “Damn it, Zoe!”
“What? His friends are cute. And you’re totally into him.”
She huffed, slouching in her seat. She kept her private life private. All through high school, she never went on double dates on anything. If she did, her romantic life would be broadcasted all over school. Now, she had to risk the publicity anyway.
But if she were being honest, she’d be forced to admit that it’d delighted her how easily he kissed her, or that it was how he’d greeted her, no hesitation. She knew she intimidated men, she’d just figured no one would ever so casually greet her. And she’d thought she was okay with it. It was… different. Appreciated.
“Am I wrong?” Zoe asked, smirking. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you blush in all the four years of high school. Guess you’re human after all.”
“Shut up,” she sighed, groaning as Adam and his friends started towards their table.
He saw the remaining traces of a grimace on her features, saw the faint panic in her eyes and smiled to himself, understanding she wasn’t the kind of woman to experience panic often. He dutifully ignored his own panic and took pride in the fact.
After dragging the table next to them closer and joining tables, Adam took a seat beside Anabel, strategically placed his arm on the back of her chair, and began introductions.
Chris, a dark haired, hazel-eyed boy wearing jeans and a t-shirt helped himself to the seat beside Zoe and she happily leaned back in her seat, satisfied with her stroke of luck.
Anabel saw her little grin from across the table and ignored it as Adam leaned towards her, lips at her ear. “You look lovely.”
Well, that was a new one. “Thanks.”
“Tired, though,” he whispered, his thumb brushing the darkened skin under her eye that she’d gone through great pains to hide.
“It’s nothing,” she muttered, turning her head so his hand fell away. Not knowing what to do with her hands, she reached for a fry.
“Haven’t you been sleeping?”
“I have. Of course I have.” The prissy tone returned, making him smile.
“You must be, by far, the worst liar I’ve ever met.”
Her eyes met his, stayed locked there. “I could lie to you, if I really wanted to. I just don’t care enough to.”
“You’re bluffing. And I’m flattered that you’d try.”
“I’m not trying to flatter you.”
“And yet you’ve managed to. Quite a feat.”
“Cut the crap,” she said heatedly then, annoyed at herself for the lack of control, huffed.
Across the table, Zoe watched the two, him smiling easily at her, her frowning with temper sparking in her eyes. Maybe it was time to save the day. “So, how’d you two meet?”
Anabel’s eyebrow shot up as she glanced at Adam, smirking, and he grinned back at her, knowing exactly what she was thinking. Before she could say it, he answered simply with, “Her sister signed my band. Her office was being redecorated so the meeting was held at her place, where I ran into Anabel.”
“And then you proceeded to hit on me.”
“Oh, can it,” he said lightly, glancing at Anabel when she laughed.
“And she fell for it?” Zoe asked, smiling as she rested her chin on her palm.
“No.” Adam laughed. “I met her again at this club—”
“Where you hit on me again.”
“I thought I told you to can it?”
“Did you miss the part where I ignored you?”
“As usual.”
“With you? Yes.”
“Look at you two!” Zoe exclaimed delightedly, clapping her hands together. “You’re adorable.”
“We—we’re not—” Anabel sighed when Adam grinned at her again, moving his hand from the back of her chair to her shoulder and playing with a strand of her hair.
“Mhmm.” Zoe turned her attention back to Chris. “So, Adam said he knows you from high school?”
“Unfortunately. We thought we’d finally managed to get rid of the kid when he went on tour, but no such luck.”
“Oh, shut the fuck up,” Adam laughed, shaking his head. “All your lives suck without me.”
“Oh, we got a big shot musician here!”
“Take yourself home, asshole.”
“It’s my car, dick,” Jack, one of the guys on the other end of the table said, looking away from the man he was speaking to.
Adam hesitated, losing his momentum. “Well, shit.”
Anabel fought to keep the smile off her lips, finding the male relationships amusing. It almost distracted her from the hand at her shoulder, still playing with her hair. Almost.
Zoe sighed, bringing Anabel’s attention back to her. “My friends are ready to go. They’re heading to this bar a couple of blocks away. You in?”
“No, thanks. I think I’m just going to head home.”
“Okay. Here, give me your phone.”
Anabel handed it over, confused. A minute later, she was taking it back.
“Just text me when you get home. Bye, everyone!” With a cheery wave, she hurried out, Chris hesitating only a second before following her.
Adam kept his gaze on Anabel. “You’re heading out?”
“Yeah. I should get going.”
“Let me take you home.”
“No, you’re here with friends. You should stay.”
“They don’t mind. Anabel—”
“Honestly, Adam, it’s fine. You stay, I’ll go.”
“Guys, would you mind if I headed out a little early?” Adam asked, turning his attention to the rest of the people at the table.
“Please take him away,” Jack said without missing a beat.
The only girl at the table laughed uncomfortably, getting to her feet. “Right.”
“See? No problem. Let’s go.”
They saw Chris at the door, on his way back in after coaxing Zoe to give him her number. “Oh, hey. You guys heading out?”
“Yeah, I’ll catch up with you guys later. Just call me and let me know where you end up.”
“Cool. You’ll end up being designated driver though.”
“Fine. See you later, man.”
“Later. It was nice meeting you, Anabel.”
“Bye, Chris.” She sent him a friendly smile and made her way to the edge of the sidewalk, Adam following.
After getting a cab and giving the address, Anabel sat back in her seat, glanced at the man beside her. “I really can take myself home, you know.”
“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
“And they say chivalry is dead.”
“Happy to disprove that.”
She rolled her eyes at him, sneaking a laugh out of him.
She was oddly relaxed by the time they reached her place, enough that, when Adam insisted, she gave in and let him pay for the cab, stepping out in the hot summer air. “So, thanks,” she began as she started up the walkway, “for—are you kidding me?”
“What?” Adam asked as she tugged off her heels and trekked purposefully across the lawn to the couple rolling across on the grass that Adam only now noticed. He hesitated then slowly followed after her.
“Eliza,” she began in a sugary sweet voice. “Would you mind unwinding yourself from Lips over there?”
Her sister looked up, felt her cheeks heat. “Oh. I thought you were already home.”
“That makes it okay to roll around the grass with some guy?” she snapped, carefully keeping her eyes only on her sister.
Eliza, feeling like she was at a serious disadvantage, sat up as she cleared her throat. “I was just—”
“Where’s Eric?”
“Inside. With Beckett.”
“Damn it, Eliza. I thought you were going to grocery shopping—”
“I did! We did! But then…” She shrugged.
“I didn’t tell you to spend time with Eric so you could ditch him.”
“God, Anabel. When did you become such a bore?”
“When you decided to start acting like you were fifteen again!”
“Does that mean I get another sweet sixteen?” Eliza snapped before realizing how stupid that was. She sighed as Anabel stormed away, leaving the front door open at her back. She noticed Adam and smiled shakily when he muttered an excuse me and followed her younger sister. She dropped her gaze to her grass stained jeans as she spoke to the man beside her. “Shit. Look, you should go. Sorry.”
“Can I just—”
“Excuse me,” she mumbled, getting to her feet and brushing off her pants and the remnants of her dignity. God, she didn’t even remember his name. What the hell had she been thinking?
He was still standing on the grass when she shut the door at her back.
♠ ♠ ♠
HI! I'm back, everyone! And I'm clearly super excited about it! For whoever missed it, I've had computer issues, but my computer's back now so I'll be posting regularly again. And as an apology, I'm going to be updating both my other stories tomorrow (in case there are any overlapping readers here).

Shout out to @RFarley1991 for all the love!

As always, comments will make me super happy!