Status: one shot

I Never Dreamed of This

One|One

All her life she’s dreamed of being Jessica Letang.
Ever since she was 8 years old and he tugged on her pigtails to tell her she dropped her crayons, she’s dreamed of being married to him, and growing old with him with their kids burying them at the age of 99.

That was the plan from the start.
Fall in love; marry; have kids; grow old.
You’d think a couple that has been together for their entire life would be solid and stable and strong, especially if they have been friends for over 20 years.
You’d think a couple that has been through so many obstacles to get where they are today would be able to stay together after a once-off mistake.
Jessica was willing to fight for her marriage two days after he told her he cheated on her; she was willing to be the bigger person and forgive him, after all, she loves him too much to let him go because of a drunken mistake.
But he doesn’t want to fight. Not anymore.

It’s late, past 2am, and not one missed call or text.
She’s worried, she’s angry, and the food on the table is cold, the candles burned out a long time ago, the soft music ended about twenty minutes ago.
He’s nowhere to be seen.
She hasn’t heard from him all day.
His teammates are all at home, she checked, she’s debating on whether to call the cops and report him as a missing person.
Jessica sighs loudly as she puts the food in the fridge, without even worrying if it has dried out, she leaves the table exactly as it is and switches off the light.
She locks the door, without a care if he has his own key with him, and goes to her bedroom.
The beautiful blue dress pools down on the carpet as she dresses in her pyjamas. She washes off the make up on her face and brushes her teeth.
She falls asleep with a heavy heart.


The 5PM traffic hits her with a bang on the freeway, with an aggravated sigh escaping her lips she slows down and turns up the volume of the radio. She’s lost in thought, thinking of days she couldn’t wait to go home, when her phone rings, snapping her out of her thoughts.
She hesitates to answer when she reads the name on the caller ID
“Hey”
She can clearly hear the loud booming calls of men in the locker room as Kris stays quiet; he finally clears his throat and greets her back
“Where are you?”
“Stuck in traffic” she keeps the conversation short and vague, and smirks slightly when she hears a frustrated sigh escaping his lips through the speaker phone
“Can you meet me at the rink?”
“Fine” she mumbles and presses the glaring red button on her phone, ending the call with shaky hands.
Jessica arrives at the rink in 30 minutes. She sees Sidney and Max walking to their cars and waves at them. She continues on and sees Kris on the ice.
Jessica can’t remember the last time she was on the ice, skating without a care in the world.

Mrs Letang-“
Jessica cuts the lawyer off immediately, “Please don’t call me that” she says and Kris frowns with an abnormal feeling in his stomach. Why did she cut the lawyer off so fast? As though it disgusted her to be called Mrs Letang
The lawyer clears his throat, “Jessica, we’re going through the settlement today, your lawyer drew up papers on what she thinks you’d be needing from Kris once the divorce is finalised”
Jessica sighs; she nods her head but says nothing. Truthfully, she wants absolutely nothing from him, she only wants him back, even though he messed up and broke her heart.
She looks at Kris from across the room when Kris’s lawyer starts talking about splitting things 50/50. She ignores her lawyer’s pleads to keep quiet and raises her voice
“I’m sorry. This is a waste of my time. I never wanted any of this. I don’t want anything from him. I don’t want his house, I don’t want his car, I don’t want anything. Keep it. I have my own car, I can get an apartment. I don’t want anything that reminds me of him”
Jessica’s lawyer calls for a pause to talk to her client and Miss Hardy immediately scolds Jessica in a hushed voice
“You’re entitled to half the things he owns Jessica, think about it”
“I don’t want it. I don’t give a shit about any of it. Just let me sign whatever I need to sign, I need to get back to work”
Kris swallows as he stares at the woman he used to call the love of his life. “It’s always about work isn’t it? Your whole life revolves around your worthless fucking work!”
Jessica scoffs with a bitter smirk, “My life revolved around you until you decided to cheat on me and walked away without a fight. I don’t want your house or your car or your lawn flamingos; I don’t want shit that means nothing to me. You meant something to me, the crappy Bachelor’s apartment we used to share when we were 20 meant something to me. Your car; your house; the billions of dollars you have, it means nothing. It made you cheat on me, it made you believe that I was beneath you.” She yells with a shaky voice, she tries to calm herself down before she breaks down in the lawyer’s office and stands up
“Please send the papers over to my office.” Jessica walks out of the office with a heavy heart and eyes swimming in tears.


Kris stops shooting pucks when he hears her footsteps. “You wanna come up on the ice?” he asks after a few minutes of silence.
“I don’t have skates” she says and furrows her eyebrows as Kris smiles, he skates up to her and tells her to look on the bench. Jessica smiles to herself when she sees the familiar white skates he kept in his locker for her.
They connected the day he tugged on her pigtails, but they fell in love with their mutual love of skating. Kris used to bring her out on the ice after hours and the two would skate around until the janitor chased them away. Other couples enjoyed dinners at restaurants but Jessica and Kris enjoyed skating and then going home to a pizza and beer.

The brunette quickly ties up the skates and immediately feels free when the skates slice through the ice. Kris smiles at her and holds out his hand
“I need to say something, and I need you to please listen” he murmurs, upon her nod her drops a kiss on her head and recalls the memory that broke them:

The deafening music blares through his ears when he enters the pub. He sits down at the bar and orders a whiskey double as his eyes rake over the many people enjoying their Thursday night.
Today is his anniversary, he’s been married to Jessica for two years, he’s been in love with her for 20 years.
Sidney clears his throat, making Kris look at him. The Captain orders a beer and plops down next to Kris
“What’s up with you?” Sidney asks as he drinks from his bottle and Kris sighs deeply, gazing into the whiskey.
“I’ve been married for two years today”
Sidney’s eyes widens, “what the fuck are you doing here? You should be with Jess right now!”
Kris sighs, “You know what I realized this morning when I woke up? I realized that I’ve never had a fling, or a one night stand, or anything. It’s always been Jess. I met her when we were 8, I started dating her the day after Senior Prom, and we’ve been together ever since. I never had anyone else, I lost my virginity to her, she was my first real kiss, it’s always been her. I’m bored Sid.”
Sidney’s pale Canadian face turns red, “If we didn’t have a game tomorrow I’d rip your fucking throat out Letang. Do you know how lucky you are that you have someone like Jess? I’d give anything to have such an amazing support system, to have someone that loves me and cares for me as much as Jess does. You’re Goddamn lucky, and you should be thrilled that you lost your virginity to the woman you eventually married. God, what the fuck is wrong with you?”
“You won’t understand. Look at them” he points to a few girls sitting a couple of tables away, “I’d give anything to have hot, meaningless sex with them right now. To not have to worry about going home to a wife right now”
“You don’t deserve Jess” Sidney says and stands up, the bar stool screeches, “Go home to your wife, she’s much better than those girls.”
Kris rolls his eyes and watches his friend storm out of the pub. He downs the whiskey and orders a shot of Tequila.
The single shot turned to many and soon he was drunk. He stumbles over to the women and smirks when their features turned to awe. Suddenly they transformed into puck sluts, and Kris knew he had them right where he wanted them.


“You’re bored of me?” she whispered with tears streaming down her cheeks. Their skating comes to a halt as Kris wipes away the tears.
“I wasn’t thinking, I didn’t think. When you packed your bags and left I realized that I wasn’t bored, I needed you back, I still need you. I want you and only you. Those girls meant nothing to me baby. I’m not bored of you, I’m happy, I’m extremely happy. You have to believe me. I was talking outta my ass J. Sidney was right, I am extremely lucky to have you in my life. You’re one in a million. Nobody has ever loved me the way you love me. You have always been there for me: through losses; through wins; through the NHL draft. You held my hand and held me up when Luc died. You’re my entire world and I love you so much. I love you, I need you, I want only you.”
“Promise you still love me?” she whimpered
“I promise.”
Jessica nods and leans up to kiss Kris, “I never signed the divorce papers”
Kris laughed happily as a few tears of his own escaped his eyes, “We’re still married?”
“Yeah”
“Can I have a second chance Jessica Mari Letang?”
Jess beams and kisses him again, “You certainly can”
♠ ♠ ♠
one shot until I get through my writer's block on my on-going stories.
PLEASE help me get through my writer's block with a nice comment :)