‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

Says maybe she'll be my Gwen Stacy, to spite her man

Liz’s POV

“So you’ve lived in LA your whole life then?” Tom asked as the conversation had shifted back to me after I had made him indulge me in his entire life story to kill time, along with about five more drinks. I had slightly fabricated pieces of my life to not give away the fact I was married or to whom I was married, or even related. LA wasn’t a very small town when it came to name dropping.

“Yeah, except for a little time I spent in Colorado. For an internship that turned in to a job, which I now head up the office from my house in Huntington Beach.”

“Wow,” Tom nodded, “Real paper chaser, huh?”

“I mean I took a lot of time off recently but that was slightly personal.” I shrugged and glanced back towards where Marie was alone again, “Do you mind if my friend joins us? She’s alone so-“

“No problem at all.” Tom shook his head and I managed to get Marie’s attention and she scooted her way through the crowd and over.

“I was wondering when you’d introduce me to this cutie.” Marie smirked and shoved her hand at Tom, “Marie.”

“Tom.” He laughed and shook her hand, but as tipsy as I was I caught his body moving closer to mine, his hand resting on my lower back, “Liz here was just telling me about you guys working together?”

“You got her to talk about Colorado?” Marie widened her eyes, “Wow, that’s incredible.”

“That’s before I got him to spill his entire life story.” I smirked as Tom glanced behind us, “What’s up?”

“Some guy at the bar checking your friend out.” He laughed, “Hard core.”

“Is it hat guy from earlier?” Marie asked excitedly, “I’ve been trying to get him to turn around all night.

“He has a hat on…” Tom nodded, I laughed and glanced back.

“Yeah it’s the same guy from earlier, oh look he’s coming over..” I laughed a little as Tom inhaled, “What now?”

“That’s… Shit.” He laughed, “That’s the guitarist from Avenged Sevenfold.”

My blood ran cold and I could just feel the same happening in Marie’s body, “No way.” She mumbled.

“Shit it is!” Tom turned as Brian finally reached us, his head cocking hard to the side as his eyes narrowed on me.

“Synyster Gates holy shit.” Marie turned and smiled, “I love your band.”

“Wow thanks, I was just coming over to ask if I could buy you a drink.” He was still glaring hard at me and Tom kept his hand on my lower back, internally I knew I should have moved but I failed.

Hard.

“That would be so great,” Marie smiled, “Can I accompany you to the bar?”

“Oh I was just going to throw it on Matt’s tab.” Brian shrugged with a smirk, every motion he made gave me chills.

“No way, are you all here?” Tom asked, “I’m a pretty big fan.”

“Weird,” Brian looked up at Tom now, “No Matt’s not here but his card’s at the bar, and I figured you’d know your arm is around his wife right now…”

Tom stepped back and looked at me, “Wait, you’re… you said your last name was… Shit,” He put his hand up to his mouth, “Baker.”

“That’s hilarious.” Brian laughed a little bit.

“Just as hilarious as you offering Marie a drink, is Michelle here too?” I asked, sipping my drink, “Wait wait…. What? Aren’t you supposed to be in Big Bear with Matt?”

“What?” Brian asked, “No? We haven’t made any camping plans this year… Oh fuck.”

“What?” I asked, “What now?”

“Michelle and I are getting a divorce.” Brian mumbled, “It’s… it’s whatever.”

“Who the fuck is with Matt then?!” I asked, “What is going on?!”

“I’m… I’m gonna go.” Tom backed away carefully and left Brian and I toe to toe with Marie standing awkwardly beside us.

“Brian!” I shouted, “What’s going on and where the fuck is Matt?”

“He’s probably in Big Bear, Lizzy…” He ran his hand down his face, “We’ve been really rough on his at the studio lately and he probably wanted time alone to record.”

I felt tears in my eyes now, “You’re lying aren’t you?” I asked, recognizing that look in Brian’s eyes and he wasn’t even drunk, it was the old Brian that acted like an older brother and would kill anyone who hurt me. And this was that conflicted look I knew all too well from Zack’s eyes.

“Let’s get you back to Marie’s house ok?” Brian offered me his hand, “I’ll go grab Matt’s card from the bar, wait at the door for me ok?”

I nodded and wiped at my eyes to keep the tears at bay, Marie walked with me to the door as Brian went to grab Matt’s card. They knew the guys well enough here it wasn’t out of the normal thankfully. Marie and I waited outside, she was silent, until Brian came back out.

“You rang up a fucking tab.” Brian handed me the card with a laugh, “That’s not going to be a flag on his account or anything.”

“I’ll say I bought a purse or something.” I mumbled and tucked it away in my clutch, “Thanks… Uhm.. In there.”

“He was getting pretty handsy huh?” Brian lit up a cigarette as we all stood around on the sidewalk, “You looked like you were trying to shake him and he wouldn’t budge, glad I was there to kick him off.”

I laughed a little and nodded at Brian’s smirk, “I’m sorry shits been weird, Bri… I miss you. I miss my Brian.”

“I miss my Lizard.” He smiled, exhaling smoke from his mouth, “This is where I drive you two home and then go home like nothing happened.”

“We’re you telling the truth about you and Michelle?” I asked, he shook his head, “Then why-“

“To get your mind off of Matt.” He mumbled, “Let’s get you two home before the bank alerts his phone and he freaks out.”

“I think he’ll be too occupied to care.” I mumbled as Brian walked Marie and I back to his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: River - Eminem