‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you

Liz’s POV

All I could hear was my thoughts and every fucking noise in the club. The bartender dropped a glass and I ducked behind Jimmy, earning a confused look from him as we hung out by the lounge, “You ok Liz?”

“Me? I’m great.” I smiled, sipping my drink as the words rifled from my mouth, “There must be a lot of sugar in these because I feel so awake right now.”

“Yeah, you seem like you’re pretty hyped up.” Brian stared at me, “You sure you’re good? You haven’t put your drink down anywhere odd tonight have you?” I cocked my head, “Roofies.”

“Oh, haha, no.” I shook my head with a laugh and grabbed a stirring straw from the small table in the middle of the area, “I’m totally good… We should go dance.”

“It’s almost two in the morning, Liz.” Michelle looked at her phone, “And Matt’s already called Jimmy three times, he’s going to start calling Brian soon and that won’t be good.”

“Yeah.” I nodded and sniffled a little, “I guess we should probably get going.”

“Do you need a ride home?” Brian looked at me carefully, “We had a car pick us up so we have room.”

“I’m good, Marie and I came in a car service too… but since she ditched me to go home with that guy..” I laughed, “She’s in her shady phase. I’m good though, I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? I’m not dealing with Matt and Zack murdering us for losing you.” Jimmy laughed as we began walking out of the club, Jimmy holding my arm in his to steady my steps.

“Positive, Jim. Believe me I don’t need to cause any more waves than there already are.” I rolled my eyes and looked around, “There’s my car.”

“Ok kid. Call when you get back safe?” Brian asked, embracing me in a hug after Michelle did the same, “Don’t pick an argument.”

“Alright alright,” I nodded and embraced Jimmy next, “It was really good to get out with you guys… I’ll call when I get home.” I nodded and climbed in the backseat of the car, quickly rattling off the address before opening my phone. I winced at the brightness of the screen and pinched the bridge of my nose, there were so many missed messages from Matt.

I scrolled my social media the entire drive home, I had been posting excessively tonight and no doubt Matt knew exactly where I was. We arrived home and I paid the driver, walking up to the front door and opening my clutch, “Fuck.” I mumbled, realizing the one thing I hadn’t taken with me were my keys.

I grabbed my phone and called Matt’s number after checking beneath the welcome mat and remembering I had taken the spare key out a few months ago when there were creepy people trolling through the neighborhood.

Matt’s phone rang a few times then went to voicemail, “Fuck, come on Matt..” I mumbled and knocked on the door, banging pretty hard. I waited a little while, rubbing my arms as a slight chill set in, groaning after a few minutes of nothing, “I’m far too fucked up for this right now..” I sighed and sat down on the top step, leaning against the porch pillar and crossed my arms, glancing at the battery life on my phone, it was down to six percent, “Serves you right for going out and being a whore, Elizabeth. And for doing drugs with your brother’s ex girlfriend, and for ignoring your husband all night..” I listed off to myself before closing my eyes as tears cascaded down my cheeks, “I’m not fucking cut out for this marriage..”

:.:.:.:

Matt’s POV

The next morning I woke up, instantly grabbing my phone from beside me and cursing at myself, Liz had called me back at three in the morning. I was trying to stay up all night until she got home but I must have fallen asleep, obviously. I dialed her number back and it instantly went to voicemail, her phone was off. Probably dead.

I got out of bed and pulled clean clothes on since I had showered last night, I walked down the hall and checked the guest room. Nothing. The study: nothing. I walked down to the living room and checked the empty couch, then the kitchen. I groaned and dialed Jimmy’s number.

“Hey man.” He answered, it was six in the morning so him being awake was slightly shocking since he was in almost every one of Liz’s pictures from last night.

“Where did she go last night?” I asked, “You house or Zack’s?”

“Uh… she went home.” Jimmy mumbled, “She literally took a car back to your place.”

“She’s not here.”

“Did you call Zack yet? That’s the only other place I can think of because Brian didn’t call-“

“Wait Brian was out last night too? Fuck… Because I wouldn’t go out with him. Great. I’ll call Zack, thanks man.” I hung up and dialed Zack’s cell phone.

“What the fuck do you want?” He asked, “Have you looked at a clock?”

“You have a three year old, shut up you’ve been up since five. Is Liz there?”

“Why would she be? Did you do something dumb again?” Zack asked, I could hear Liddy in the background.

“No, she went out with Brian and Jim last night… and I’m assuming Marie since her car is here, and she didn’t come home.” I ran my hand down my face and leaned against the kitchen counter.

“She’s not here, if she was no one would be answering you right now dude.” Zack laughed, “Go for a drive and see if she ended up at Marie’s or something, she may have given the driver a wrong address.”

“Alright, I’ll let you know when I find her.” I mumbled and hung up, grabbing my car keys from the bowl by the door and opened the front door, “Jesus… Fuck, Liz? Elizabeth?” I didn’t even manage to get fully out the door before kneeling down to pick her up, she was passed out curled up on the porch behind a plant.

She mumbled in her sleep and cocked her head, she looked like she had been crying all night, I internally cursed myself and looked down at her clutch. Her cards, ID, phone, and no keys. I groaned and picked it up, tucking it under her as I cradled her and walked us inside, slamming the door shut with my foot. She didn’t budge.

I pressed redial on my phone and Zack answered, “She was passed out on the porch. Her keys aren’t in her clutch.”

“Oh great… Well warm her up and feed her-“

“Dude…” I mumbled as I felt her skin vibrating beneath me, “I don’t think she’s alright.”

“What do you mean?” Zack asked, “What’s wrong?”

I laid her on the couch and knelt down, feeling grossed out at myself but I pushed on her nostril and looked up her nose, “Zack… She’s fucking coked out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Wicked Game - Theory of a Deadman