‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

When did it all go completely sideways?

Matt’s POV

Driving to the studio was such a trek I only did it a few times a week now, I was barely down in LA never mind even going to California. I managed to spend nearly every minute of my time locked in Amy’s guest room staring at my phone waiting for it to ring. Today was a studio day though and my mind was stuck solely on one thing: Zack was here and would not stop talking about Liz. Almost like he didn’t care-… oh wait, he didn’t care that I knew I fucked up royally. It was his sister I screwed over so he had every right to rub my nose in the fact she was thriving.

“Oh hey,” He spoke up to catch Jimmy’s attention specifically. I wasn’t sure how much Liz had told the rest of the guys but I had kept my mouth relatively shut so far, “Liz is bringing me coffee does anyone want anything?”

“Oh yeah, I’ll take a large hot chocolate.” Jimmy smiled from behind the switch board while Johnny struggled away in the booth.

“It’s fucking ninety outside,” One of the record label guys stared at him, “Hot chocolate?”

“Uhm duh.” Jimmy nodded, “Johnny probably wants an iced tea.. hang on… YO SHORT SHIT!” He yelled while pressing the button to talk in to the booth, Johnny glared up at him, “Lizzy’s bringing coffee do you want anything?”

“I’ll take an iced tea!”

“Told you guys, Zack, iced tea for the gnome.” Jimmy smiled and signaled Johnny to keep going.

“Uhm, Matt? Do you want anything?” Zack looked up from his phone.

“No, I’m good thanks.” I shook my head and Zack rolled his eyes.

Silence took over the room except for Jimmy and the guy beside him talking a few times to Johnny about different sounds, I was preoccupied at the fact, now Liz wasn’t just Zack’s topic but she was coming here. It had been nearly two months since I left the house and I hadn’t seen her once since then or even heard from her. This was either about to get interesting or… Shit either way it would be interesting.

“Guess who’s here with coffee!” The studio door burst open a while later, Liz jumped through holding two trays of cups in her hands, “Ok so there’s like three coffees here because you’re all fucking weird.”

“I got coffee I’m not weird.” Zack accepted the drink from her and smiled, “Which is new because I’m normally weird.”

“You’re my brother it’s a requirement.” Liz mumbled and walked past me, handing Jimmy the hot chocolate, “I’m assuming the real freak in here got the hot drink.”

“You’re right princess.” Jimmy grabbed her and kissed the side of her cheek, “Johnny got tea. I knew it.”

“Obviously, he always gets tea.” Liz set it down on the table and handed the label guy a drink, “Zack said this is what you drank, hope it’s right.”

“It is, he took orders.”

“Good to know.” Liz nodded and grabbed one of the two drinks left and walked over to me, “You’re too stubborn so I got you one anyways.”

“Oh, thanks.” I nodded and looked at the cup of iced coffee.

“One cream three sugars, how you always drink it.” Liz mumbled without looking at me and took a seat on the arm of Jimmy’s chair, “So how’s the short fuck doing? Any better than yesterday?”

“No.” Jimmy laughed, “And the day before that.”

“I swear I need a life,” Liz sipped her iced coffee, “Not working for the company any more gives me so much free time it’s appalling.”

“Right, Zack mentioned you’re doing your own brand now?” Jimmy asked, peaking my interest as to what she was talking about.

“Yeah, I’m still being walked up by Dennis and Colorado, but it’s my own brand. I hire my own people, they’re still in Colorado though.”

“Are you moving back?” Jimmy asked, his face speaking the feeling I had currently: Shock.

“No way in fucking hell. I’m not leaving again.” Liz laughed, her laugh sent shivers down my spine, I hadn’t realized how much I actually missed her, “No, I get to work from home and video conference them when I need to but so far these kids are smart and know what they’re doing.”

“Tell Jimmy the brand name you decided on.” Zack laughed to himself a little bit. Liz glanced over her shoulder and mumbled something under her breath.

“You’re a cunt.” Jimmy laughed as Liz shrugged, I hadn’t heard what she said but I could only imagine.

“It’s a play on that dumb nickname Brian has for me, Lizard. Ok? It just made sense and it’s cute.” Liz shrugged, “Blizzard? Colorado? We’re working on the emblem still, stuck between snowflakes and incorporating a skull somewhere because…”

“Vengeance for life.” Zack smiled and gave me a surprisingly sympathetic look, “Liz you wanna come with me while I smoke?”

“I hate that you started that again.” Liz stood and groaned.

“Only when I feel the air is tense enough a chainsaw would break.” He grunted and stood up, “I’ll even let you smoke one.”

I watched as the two nudged each other the entire way out the door, Zack producing a pack of cigarettes from his pocket before the door shut behind them, “You’re not awkward at all.”

I looked up to Jimmy’s searing blue eyes focused on me, “What?”

“Weird, dude weird.” Jimmy shook his head, “I don’t know what the fucks going on between you guys but stop being weird.”

“I’m being quiet, ok? Her life isn’t my business any more.”

“So it is true! You two are done?” His tone went from excited about apparently being right to realizing it wasn’t something to be all that excited about.

“Yeah, I’m living in Seattle with Amy, that’s why I’m not here as often.” I shrugged, “Seems like Liz is though.”

“A lot recently, actually, I thought she was taking your place for a bit.” Jimmy shrugged, “Listen. Let it happen, you two have been miserable and odd for way too long. Be normal with her, be her best friend again. I’m sure she won’t give a shit.”

“Yeah… I’m sure.” I mumbled as Johnny appeared from the booth and began chugging his tea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Echoes - Theory of a Deadman