‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

It hurts to live today, and she says don’t you wish you were dead like me

Matt’s POV

Thanksgiving was here, time had flown by, our album had dropped a couple weeks ago, and spare time was abundant. Time I wish I had months ago. All I did was sit around the condo and watch TV or game, the guys would come over now and then to hang out away from their wives. Which always managed to bring me down a little lower each time.

I had finally turned in and filed our divorce papers and it was finalized mid-September. I had talked to Liz once or twice since the day she called me about the Europe trip. Most of the time it was get togethers at Zack’s or Brian’s, most of the time parties passed with us not even saying a word to each other.

“Hey pussy ass bitch.”

I glanced up from the kitchen stove where I was helping Jacky cook our friendsgiving dinner.

“Oh hey Jason, what’s up?” I asked as Jason Berry walked in, giving me a clap on the back as he drank some of the beer in his hand.

“Not too much man, hey sorry to hear about you and Lizzy.” He sighed, “Sucks.”

“Yeah, but we’ve both gotten over it. Moved on, it’s better this way.” I shrugged, “I think we left it on a pretty solid term.”

“That’s good,” Jason nodded and looked at the stove, “Zack stick you on bitch duty or what?”

“No, Jacky had to run upstairs. She’s not feeling the best.”

“Must be the fact Zack can’t stop sticking babies in her.” Jason laughed under his breath, “Fucking rabbits.”

“Tell me about it, not like Liddy has enough energy they had to go add another one.”

I looked up to the doorway, past Jason’s shoulder, where Liz was walking in, “Oh hey Liz.” Jason hugged her quick, “Excited to be an aunt for a second time?”

“Yeah, definitely.” She smiled and glanced down, “I just wanted to come in and say hi before we all get hammered.”

“Well hey.” I nodded and she smiled a little, nodding back at me and opening the fridge to grab a water, “There’s champagne in an ice bucket out there..”

“Eh, I’m good. I’m designated driving tonight so I have to stay sober as a nun.”

“Oh is-“

“Hey Jason! Get your ass out here we’re starting a game of beer pong!” Brian’s voice yelled from the living room.

“Looks like I’m being summoned for my incredible skills, talk to you two weirdos later.” Jason gave Liz a small hug before leaving the room, Liz stood somewhat awkwardly while staring at the pans on the stove.

“You don’t have to stay in here, you know you don’t have to babysit me right?” I asked, she laughed a little bit.

“Yeah I’m just… Zoning out.” She shook her head and gestured around, “Do you need help? Jacky’s gonna be out of commission for a little bit, she said something about stuffing-“

“Oh fuck that needs to come out,” I gestured to the oven, “Thanks.”

“No problem.” Liz grabbed an oven mitt and took out the stuffing, placing it on the stove and closing it back up, “That turkey smells amazing.”

“Tell me about it I’v been in here for hours dealing with this smell.” I laughed a little, “I think that’s what made her barf, the food.”

“Yeah that happens sometimes.” Liz mumbled and put her water down, leaning against the counter, “So… how’s it been?”

“Good, finally have time to relax now that the albums out.”

“Must be nice.. how’s Val?” She asked, I laughed, “What? She’s out there I assumed you two came together..”

“No.” I shook my head, “No way, I’m actually not seeing anyone. I know she’s out there though, that’s why I’ve been hiding in here.” I winked a little and Liz chuckled, “Zack said you were bringing someone?”

“Oh lovely, Zack, thanks.” Liz rolled her eyes as I smirked, “I was going to hope you’d be drunk enough not to notice.”

“Liz, it’s fine.” I looked her straight on, “We were shitty.”

“We definitely were… Sam.” She spoke, I felt my heart sink a little bit, “Sam. He moved out from Colorado two months ago.”

“Oh.” I nodded, just before our divorce finalized, “Did you guys rekindle on your trip out there?”

“No, Matt, I’m not that much of a whore.” She glared at me, “We’ve been working together a lot and he moved out here to help and we’ve been spending a ton of time together it just clicked.”

“Oh well that’s nice, at least you have someone to go to Switzerland with now.” I rolled my eyes.

“Jesus, for fucks sake Matt. Will you be a normal fucking human for five minutes?” She raised her voice and threw her hands up, “I’m trying to make civil human conversation and you’re just being judgmental and shitty to me.” Tears popped up in her eyes and I raised an eyebrow.

“Liz I’m not being judgmental I’m just saying, fuck stop being a drama queen.”

“A drama queen!” She laughed loudly, I could hear voices and I groaned, here we go, “I’m not the drama queen who fucking locked himself in his condo for a month, drinking his face off and not answering anyone’s calls or opening his door when he was the one who decided a divorce was the best route!” She shouted.

“Woah woah woah,” Zack, Brian, and Sam burst through the kitchen door, “What the fuck are you two doing in here alone together?” Zack pulled Liz aside, “What’s going on?”

“Nothing,” Liz shook him off as Sam cradled her arm in his hand, “Nothings going on, it’s fine. Just… I’m being rash.”

“What the fuck did you say asshole?” Brian stepped forward and I raised my eyebrow at him.

“It’s Thanksgiving, guys,” Liz sighed and grabbed Brian’s arm, “Knock it off. I just… I just need to go breathe for a minute it’s really hot in here.” She waved at her face and walked out, Sam on her heels.

“Man, I don’t even know what to say right now because I can’t imagine that had any good way of playing out to you two.” Zack stared at me, “Who’s idea was it to have a little reunion in the kitchen?”

“No ones, honestly, we were just talking and suddenly she got wicked hot headed.” I shrugged, “Honestly, I said nothing out of line I will swear on my life.”

Zack glared at me, “Good… She’s probably just hormonal…” He paused as I raised an eyebrow at him, “She’s a woman those things happen.”

“Ah.” I nodded, “Go tend to your puking wife Baker. I got this covered.”

“If you need help, call Michelle, not Liz.” Brian flipped me off and walked out of the room with Zack. I shook my head and glanced out the window to the backyard where Sam had his arm wrapped around Liz’s shoulders as she wiped her eyes. Fuck, could I not be a decent human for five minutes? Was I that bad?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Santa Monica - Theory of a Deadman