‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

Ready to throw down, this is a showdown

Matt’s POV

Friendsgiving was going smoothly regardless of the fact my ex-girlfriend was here and so was my ex-wife, and they were actually getting along pretty well together. I was standing beside Zack and Jimmy, drinking whiskey, watching them from across the room.

“I never thought I’d see then get along again.” Jimmy took a sip of his drink, “It’s like universes are colliding right now and we’re just waiting the aftershock.”

“I mean, Liz has a tendency to get along with our exes pretty well.” Zack muttered and I snickered at his reference to her friendship with Gena, “As long as no ones throwing knives at each other, I think it’s a successful night.”

“I agree.” I nodded, “Earlier was a mishap but it’s been good so far. I just think it’s because we aren’t together any more that they’re not at each other’s throats.”

“You and Val or you and Liz?” Jimmy cocked an eyebrow at me, “Damn you’ve fucked more women in this room than we have.” He pushed my arm.

“Wow thanks.” I rolled my eyes and shoved him back, “So are we hitting the road after Christmas or what?”

“Dude,” Zack and Jimmy both groaned, “Can you ever sit still? Like… chill, take a chill pill and relax at home.” Zack finished and glanced over where Jacky was coming out of the kitchen with an annoyed look on her face.

“No, sorry, I don’t have a family to keep me on my toes.” I mumbled as she made her way over, grasping Zack’s arm and whispering something in his ear.

“Oh great.” He rolled his eyes, “I miss when this was Matt’s issue not mine.” He grunted and walked towards the kitchen, leaving Jacky behind standing between Jimmy and I.

“What’s he talking about?” I asked.

“Liz drama. Sam’s in there drunk ranting about something about her. I knew he was shit for her.” Jacky sipped on her ice water.

“Ranting? About what?” I asked, peering towards where I could hear Zack and now Jason Berry, “Stay here.” I patted her shoulder and walked towards the kitchen, making sure Liz was still across the room. Oblivious, perfect. I walked in to the kitchen and Sam was just slamming his fists down on to the counter and glaring at Zack, “Woah woah, what’s going on in here?”

“Man,” Sam pointed at me and laughed, “You shouldn’t fucking be in here.”

“Sam just calm down, maybe you should leave.” Jason stepped in front of him, “You’ve definitely had enough tonight.”

“Enough? Yeah I’ve had enough. How do you think it’s normal for her to be over there just chatting up her ex-husbands ex-girlfriend?” He rolled his eyes, “This whole thing is so odd.”

“The fact we’re all still good friends is odd?” I asked as Sam now narrowed his glare on me, “Listen, I think you should call a car to take you home.”

“No, that’s what I have Elizabeth for. She’s sober.” He put his drink down and grabbed his coat off the back of a bar chair.

“No, I think you should call a car home.” I stepped in front of his pathway, “Why don’t we have Zack call one up for you.”

“Dude, step off alright? She’s not your’s to make decisions for any more.” He laughed, “Stop looking like a fool.”

“What in the good Lord’s name is going on here tonight?” We all turned to the kitchen door where Liz and Jacky were standing, Liz had her hand on her hip, “Someone, do some explaining here.”

“Your ex-husband is sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong any more.” Sam spouted before Zack could give another excuse, which if Sam had known any better, was the smart idea.

“Will one of you please tell me what’s happening? Sam’s obviously drunk but why are you in here giving him shit?” Liz put her hand on her hip as Jacky rolled her eyes slightly, giving Zack a disappointed look.

“Listen, Lizzy, I’ll drive you home but I think Sam should get a car back to his place.” Jason caught a look from Sam.

“Oh you’re thinking of taking her home now? What is this? Do you fuck every one here?” Sam hiccuped, giving away his intoxicated status.

“Alright man I’ve been nice enough.” Jason rolled his sleeves up and squared directly in front of Sam, “Knock it the fuck off alright? Liz is like our fucking little sister-“

“Yeah that’s why you fucked her, huh?” Sam laughed a little, “I heard all about it, Berry, don’t act so fucking innocent. She’s fucked every guy in this room except her brother.”

“Jay shut him up or I will.” I felt my knuckles tense.

“Alright here,” Liz laughed nervously and walked between Jason and Sam, “Sammy hun, let’s get going. I don’t know what the issue here is but we should go. Before words get thrown that we can’t swallow tomorrow.”

“Yeah you’d like to swallow them I’d bet.” Sam scoffed and shrugged his jacket on, “I’ll fucking drive.”

“No, I’m sober, I’m driving.” Liz reached for his keys, “Babe come on.”

The world rolled right off my ears I was focused on him trying to play keep away with the keys from Liz, “I’m fucking driving. Shut up and let’s go.”

With that Sam left the room, giving us all a collective disgusted look as he left. Liz stood, silent in the center of the room, all eyes turned to her as Zack walked closer, “You can stay the night here, Liz you know that.”

“It’s fine.” She rolled her eyes, brushing off the matter, “We’ll be fine.”

“I don’t want him driving you…” Zack paused, “You home.”

Liz tried to be discreet but I caught the glare she shot, “It’ll be fine.”

“No, it won’t. He’s toasted Liz, come on.” Jason grabbed her arm, “At least let me go knock him out so you can drive him home.” His words made Liz chuckle, “It’s not just you.”

“Jason.” Liz’s teeth were clenched as she hissed, “Both of you, fucking stop. It’s fine, he’s driven dozens of times like this!”

“Oh! That makes me feel so comfortable!” Zack threw his hands in the air, “As much of a shit head Matt was he never fucking drove you drunk!”

“I’m not standing right here or anything.” I shrugged as Jacky laughed under her breath, smacking my arm.

“All of you, stop worrying about me. I’m fine, we’re fine, he’s fine, it’ll blow over by the time we get to the house. I promise. It’s ok. It’s not a big deal-“

“It’s big fucking deal when my nephew’s life is on the line here! It’s not just your life any more Liz!” Zack shouted, grabbing Liz’s arm as she tried to walk away.

“Woah.” The word left my mouth before I could regulate it, Liz’s eyes shot to mine and a look of terror over came them.

“Fucking… Zachary!” Jacky shouted at him, “Are you fucking stupid!?”

“Ugh, Liz, I’m sorry, I…” Zack reached out for her again but she was staring up at me, her breath caught in her throat.

“You’re… you’re not drinking, oh..” I could hear myself speaking as if I was standing in front of my self, not in my own body, and I sounded so dumb, “So you’re… You’re having… You’re pregnant.”

Liz’s eyes shut tight as a tear slipped down her cheek, that’s when she inhaled deeply and the life came back to her cheeks, “Jacky can you drive me home?”

“Sure thing kiddo, let’s go.” Jacky took Liz’s arm and ushered her from the room quickly and with the swinging of the kitchen door we were all reminded of the party progressing in the living room by Brian cheering on someone to chug a beer.

I looked at Zack and he still had his face in his hands, cursing himself under his breath as Jason just muddled with the empty beer on the counter, he looked up and made eye contact with me, I raised an eyebrow at him, referencing the questionable content of Sam’s accusations, “He was talking about back in the day… Way back in the day at that party.”

“Right uhm… I’m gonna go drink with Brian.” I gripped my now warm beer and turned on my heel to the thriving room behind us, no one phased by the news dropped in the kitchen because they were all oblivious. Ignorant. At that moment I wished I hadn’t made Liz’s business mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long, I kept reading this chapter and wondering why I had this story going in this direction when I wrote it back when I ended Dear God. I struggled for a while not rewriting it all but here it is, the original (facepalminghard) kind of not sure myself how I feel about the rest of this story (to be honest I only read a little of the beginning when I decided to finally post this recently, I wrote it so long ago I really forgot about it apparently)

Hopefully you guys are still reading and enjoying! I hope this doesn’t throw too many of you off the loop <3 <3

xxx Jacky