‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

My prayers worthless Heaven is burning down

Third Person POV

Zack followed Liz up to the front door of her and Matt’s home, “You know,” She began as she reached in her bag for the key, “I don’t need a chaperone.”

“If I don’t come in, you won’t talk to him.” Zack nodded his head as Liz rolled her eyes, “And I also know you have some gummy bears in the pantry that I’m going to devour.”

Liz raised an eye as Zack shrugged, “Jacky still on that no sugar kick with Lid?”

“Why do you think I was in the kitchen sneaking candy during the movie at Jimmy’s?” Zack laughed under his breath as he followed his sister in to the house, she glanced around and threw her stuff down on the couch, “He can’t still be sleeping… it’s almost eight at night.”

“He’s probably out.” Liz shrugged, “His car might be home but that doesn’t mean-“

“He’s cooking dinner? Good assumption.” Matt cut Liz’s words off as they walked in to the kitchen, “What’s up Zack?”

“Not much man, brought her back unscathed.” Zack sat at the kitchen island, eyeing Liz as she grabbed a water from the fridge, still in her dress from the previous night, heels in her purse in the living room, “We do have some shit to talk about though.”

“Like what?” Matt turned away from the stove where he was stirring some type of past a dish on the stove, “Like how my wife disappeared last night without a trace and no one decided to tell me where she was all night and suddenly her brother drags her in at eight the next night? No one finds this-“

“I fucking crashed on Jimmy’s couch, ok?” Liz hissed, leaning agains the counter as she massaged her temples, “I was too drunk to not be a dick to you, obviously. He filled me in on… my actions.” Liz looked up to the hint of black eye Matt was sporting, her jaw slacked slightly.

“That wasn’t from you,” He caught her looking, “That was from the guy I fought for staring at you and whistling while we were outside…”

“He looks worse.” Zack chimed in, “Not the point. You two need to sit and talk about this.”

“I’m making dinner.” Matt gestured to the stove, “Can we do this tomorrow?”

“You’re kidding, right?” Liz laughed, “Yeah, we can do this tomorrow. But tomorrow you’ll be gone all day, and you won’t come home until four in the morning, then you’ll black out somewhere in the lower level of the house and not even make it upstairs and after your dense body hits the floor I’ll know you’re at least home so I can go back to sleep.”

Without listening to the rebuttal about to leave Zack’s mouth, Liz turned on her bare heel and made her way upstairs to take a long hot shower and go to bed. Without her husband, as usual.

“Before you even start in on me-“

“Oh because you know it’s going to happen. It’s happening. Matt… what’s going on? What’s happening here? It’s been three years, don’t tell me it’s already wearing on you two.” His eyes dug in to Matt’s back as he had turned to finish cooking, “Come on, man. She’s my little sister and you know I’m always torn between kicking your ass and keeping the peace.”

“I know, I know. I don’t know what’s going on, things are just odd lately. We’ve gotten in to a funk and I’m not sure where she’s at really. She won’t talk to me about things, she always acts like I’m doing something wrong. That’s why I don’t come home much any more because I just don’t want to deal with the icy shoulder all night. I’d rather be out drinking with one of you or even just watching sports at a bar. I tried for a few months to pry and to be here..” Matt shook his head, clicking the stove off as he turned to face Zack now, “It’s useless. I mean I’m probably not helping the situation now, but it’s gotten out of hand. Some days I feel like she regrets actually getting married, like moving it so fast-“

“So fast? It took you two a life time to do this. You did the right thing just… come home early, sleep next to her, stupid little shit even when she cold shoulders you. Trust me… Jacky still talks to me and we even have a kid.” Zack shrugged, watching the look in Matt’s eyes, feeling his blood run cold, “Don’t… Don’t think a kid is going to fix this, dude, they’re tough. It’s hard. Right now I think that would ruin you guys. You won’t sleep, she won’t sleep, the kid won’t sleep, no one sleeps. Imagine more tension than now, but you’re required to be home to help. Going out? Only happens as a couple like once a month. Our once a month? Was your disaster of a birthday.”

“I know… I just think she may have imagined herself further along in the whole family thing by now.” Matt sighed, dismissing the food behind him and leaning his elbows on the counter in front of Zack, placing his face in his hands.

“I know her, dude, just… Little things ok?” Zack clapped his hand on Matt’s arm, “Speaking of, I’m going to go pick up Jacky and Liddy from Jimmy’s house before I get a call that my child is being kidnapped by Leana..”

“Again.” Matt laughed and stood up straight, “Alright man. I’ll call you in the morning, let you know how the talk goes… if she even talks to me.”

“I bet she will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh, sorry it’s been over a week since I updated (and I said I’d update every day... sorry!!) my daughter got wicked sick last weekend and we’ve been catching up on sleep and medicines lately I haven’t even had time to get online :(

This was sort of short and ill-timed for a short chapter, if I can sneak a few more minutes online tonight I’ll throw another one up but I hope y’all are liking it so far!!

xxx