‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

Friday night I crashed your party

Matts POV

I hadn’t spoke to anyone much since the night at the bar after my come to Jesus moment as Jimmy referenced it the one time I spoke to him since. It was something I didn’t exactly want to dwell on considering the current situation. Every time my mind wandered to the possibility, it hovered over the thought of how Sam was in my mind treating Liz.

“Fuck.” I mumbled and shook my head, there it was. The exact thought I tried to rid myself of twenty-four hours a day.

I was currently laying in my bed watching the clock tick by, tonight was the Christmas party and due to some issue Brian refused to tell me about the location was conveniently moved to their house. I could only imagine but tried to keep my mind positive. I would be able to get hammered and not worry about anything to do with Liz because she and Sam would be far away in the Alps right now enjoying the Christmas gift I had hoped would soothe the irritation that was our marriage. Far away in the Alps where no one would be able to get in touch with them and where he didn’t have to worry about-

“For the love of god.”

I stood up quickly and grabbed the bottle of Jameson from my nightstand. Taking a drink I looked down at my phone as it rang.

“What’s up ex favorite brother in law?”

“Classy,” Zack exhaled, “You’re alive that’s news.”

“Don’t start.” I mumbled as I began my way downstairs, I had been dressed and lying in the same spot for almost an hour now.

“You coming tonight?” I could hear the distraction in his voice and rolled my eyes at the thought of putting up with his sarcastic bullshit all night.

“Yes, that’s my plan unless you know a better reason I shouldn’t go.” I waited, silence being my answer, “Exactly. What time are you and Jacky showing up?”

“Oh we’re already here, we dropped Liddy off this morning to my parents so we’re taking full advantage of being childless. And I’m taking advantage of the few months left I have of a designated driver before she pops this one out and goes nuts and drinks herself dumb for a year.” Zack chuckled to himself, “So we’ll see you in a bit then?”

“Sure, I’ll head over now. Wait, is uh… is Val there? Or coming?”

“I think Michelle said something about her being on vacation. So I doubt it.”

“Nice, see you soon.” I nodded as I hung up, dodging two exes in one night. I’d never felt so lucky.

I scanned myself once in the mirror at the doorway, a white fitted button down with the sleeves rolled up, black dress pants, a pair of black Nike’s, and a green tie. Had to be somewhat festive right? I grabbed my coat from the closet and packed my wallet in to the back of my pants and slid aviators over my eyes. I bolted the door behind me and jogged to my car, quickly cranking up some music as I hauled ass from the parking lot.

~*~*~

I walked up the path to Brian and Michelle’s house and took in the sound of music and voices spilling from the open front door, someone was exiting and I squinted at the sight of Leana.

“Oh hey.” She looked surprised as she met my eyes, “Zack said he didn’t think you were going to show.”

I threw my hands up with a laugh as she pulled a pack of cigarettes from a pocket in her blue cocktail dress.

“I literally told him maybe fifteen minutes ago I’d be here.” I shook my head and she lit up her cig, laughing a little, “How’ve you been? I’ve been uh-“

“A social hermit because you can’t handle the drama you created? I’ve noticed.” She exhaled and looked up at the sky, “I’m doing good, no drama in the Sullivan household.” She smiled, “Go inside, I’ll be back in soon. Just couldn’t handle the sober pregnant Baker drama club without a nicotine fix.”

Assuming she meant Zack and Jacky I laughed and walked in the front door, Brian was instantly running towards me from the kitchen with a shot glass in his hand, “You have some catching up to do!” He laughed, obviously already on the smooth path to drunk.

“Don’t temp me twice.” I took the shot and winced at the burn, I knew my alcohols but this was something I’d never tasted before and instantly my throat felt disintegrated.

“I was just running upstairs to change my shirt, Jimmy spilled eggnog all over it and it looks like I just got out of a Bukkake session.” He laughed and clapped my arm and sped up the stairs beside us.

I continued my walk towards the main area of the house where everyone was when my ears sent my head in to a spiral. That laugh. I’d know that laugh anywhere. My blood chilled in my veins as I rounded the corner. My eyes landed directly on her body and I felt my heart stop in my chest.

“Wait… what?” My jaw dropped slightly as I tried to process what was in front of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
It’s been an unacceptably long time since I’ve updated and I have honestly no valid excuse other than I’ve been lazier than god knows what. Sorry for the lapse, I’m trying to kick myself in to gear and actually post!!

xoxo