‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

Say you're sorry honey, but you never really show

Zacks POV

“Wow.” Jacky murmured.

My jaw was still residing on the floor next to my shoes, that were stuck in place when my legs felt like running. The girl standing in front of my had stood beside my sister during her wedding to Matt, and during the divorce, and through it all. My blood pumped in to my ears and blocked out the words leaving her and Matt’s mouths, I felt my mouth drying out and licked my lips trying to stop myself from gagging at the feeling. I caught a look from Jimmy and knew he was thinking the same thing, and before I could censor myself as well as he was, it happened.

“You fake ass, back stabbing, dirty whore.”

“Excuse me?” Marie asked, blinking a few times as I realized the words had left their home in my throat.

“You fucking heard me, skank.” I shook my head and managed to get Jackys hand off my arm and stormed to the front door and out. I snatched the pack of cigarettes from the car and lit one up, leaning against the trunk as yelling erupted from the house. I laughed under my breath and let smoke trail up to the sky. I heard the front door open and slam shut, the unmistakable familiar footsteps thudding towards me followed by Jimmy yelling for Matt to stop. I turned and saw Matt approaching at an alarming rate, alarming as if I cared what he did, “Hit me you fucking piece of scum, just do it. I’ll have your ass locked up before you fucking sober up.”

Matt approached until his chest was pressed against mine, his breathing was heavy and I could see a confusion of emotions in his face, “I thought the Liz shit was behind all of us? After the other day I thought we were all moving on, huh? I thought we left this bullshit drama years ago, Z, or is that only acceptable when you don’t want to talk about her?”

“I fucking did that for you, moron. So you’d stop having, having a… a mental break down every other week over it!” I shouted, throwing my hands up as Jimmy finally reached us and gently pushed us apart, “I still give a fuck about her, she’s my blood you asshole! That’s my baby sister that you couldn’t let be happy! So what did she do to get space from you?!” I screamed, five years of pent up emotions flowing finally, “She left us! She left her god daughter, her family, she disappeared without a god damn trace!! My baby sister is out there and I don’t know how to find her and I’m helpless and it fucking kills me every day! If you had just left her alone she would be here!”

“Maybe it wasn’t just me! Ever think of that? Maybe it was everyone constantly being around and bombarding her, huh? Maybe she needed a new start, Zack, you think of that!? Maybe she was tired of it all, and not just me. You know I fucking love her alright? I love that woman and I will until I die. But she’s not coming back! She’s not going to just show up one day, Zack so we just need to fucking move on!”

“Do you guys think outside is the best-“

“Jimmy shut up!” Matt and I chorused at the same time as Jimmy suggested a more mature approach to the argument with moving in side. Without another word we moved back in to the house where the girls had begun their own argument in the kitchen, “I feel like one of them is going to throw a knife.” Matt muttered.

“They’re moms they wouldn’t.” I shook my head and looked Matt dead in the eye, “I think the time has come man. It’s too hard.”

“Now?” He asked, I nodded.

The three of us sighed, I wiped my eyes carefully as Matt fiddled with his phone, “So… last tour huh?” Jimmy piped up.

“I think it should be, but we can obviously talk about it next time were all together. It’s a big decision.” I mumbled as Marie screamed, “Fuck I’m going in to get Jacky… listen Matt.” I turned and faced him, trying to gather my words before I lost it again, “You might not think she’s ever coming back but you can’t bank on that. And I know you don’t acknowledge it but you do have a son with her. Just know this,” I gestured to the kitchen, “Will unleash all the hell you’ve never imagined possible from her and that alone should scare you. I know my sister, I know her anger, and I can feel it already.”

“Well good, because I know my wife and I know how to handle that anger.” Matt stared at me, his bloodshot eyes brimming with tears, “I’m just trying to find some sort of happiness, because she took any chance of that with her.”

“We’re leaving.” Leana and Jacky stormed out of the kitchen in succession, a screaming Marie behind them.

“Woah woah,” Jimmy paused Leana as the two leading girls took their purses, “What did you do?”

“She may not be a Baker by blood-“ Leana began while pointing at Jacky but was cut off by Marie rushing out of the kitchen with a bloody nose and an already bruising eye.

“But she hits like one.” I looked at Matt, “Just remember what I said man.”

“Are you just going to stand there?!” Marie shrieked at Matt, “She hit me in your house!”

I watched Matt battle out the years of therapy in his head as he breathed. Finding the balance between losing it yet again and staying strong as if he and Liz had left things on any type of good terms.

“She’s my sister in law so… she was here first.” Matt turned and walked in to the kitchen, taking his glass from the end table before disappearing. I smiled to myself and grabbed Jacky’s arm.

“Let’s go.” I nodded at Jimmy and lead the way out, “You hit her?!” I hissed as Leana shut the door behind us.

“She said Liz was a bad person for leaving, that she didn’t deserve Matt…” Leana spoke up, “I fully vouch that she deserved it.”

“That’s so fucked because she was there through so much for Liz.” I sighed, “can’t trust any one any more.”

“That’s for sure.” Jimmy mumbled, “Well we have a sitter till midnight.. drinks?”

“Sounds good.” Jacky laughed, “Des isn’t expecting us for a few hours.”

“Yes! Parents night out!” The girls cheered in unison as we got in to our respective cars and I began following jimmy down the road. Unspoken was the deal Jacky would be driving home as the events of tonight rested heavy in my mind. Was this it? Was this the moment we didn’t get past?