‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

But I'm told it's where I'm supposed to be

Zacks POV

This was the most tension filled meeting I think we’d ever had with the entire band present in god knows how long. Matt hadn’t broken eye contact with our manager the entire time and I hadn’t stopped glaring at his bloodshot eyes since he sat down. Drinking was his coping mechanism for anything that didn’t go to his plan.

“So the end proposition is to quit.” Larry looked around at us all, Brian scoffed, “Or a break?”

“I don’t think we need either of those honestly. I think we just need to stop trying to be best friends outside of the studio.” Brian gave me a look, we had a three hour long conversation about this the other day after the Matt and Marie incident. He knew we need to keep making music but that was a tough dynamic when we couldn’t look at our front man for many reasons.

“So that’s not something I can resolve for you guys. Well… All I can suggest is moving further apart and so talking to each other as much but I know how you five work.” Larry laughed under his breath, “Unless I’m missing something big here.”

“Yeah you did but count yourself one of the lucky ones.” Jimmy sighed to himself, “Listen in all honesty I think calling it quits is drastic as fuck. I think we should really really try, and I mean really try, to just give each other space. We need to do it to save the band. I know I still love akl of you like brothers still. No matter what. But it’s definitely difficult sometimes.”

“Specifically when Matt and Zack are involved.” Brian gave me an unimpressed look, “Let’s try that before we kill the band. Can that be a last resort?”

“So no communication out of the studio. Don’t put yourselves in situations that’ll cause drama. Listen,” Larry sighed, “You have a big promo event coming up in a month or so, then a good length Europe tour, then you can sit back and take a breather ok?”

“Ok. Ok thanks for putting my head back on straight.” I mumbled, realizing he was totally right. The mature thing to do would be to just give ourselves space.

Which wouldn’t be a hard thing, we were all pretty busy with our families now anyway and we barely did see each other outside of the studio or band related events, or family night. That was off the table now and I could only imagine Liddy freaking out now about but having any of them here. As we all walked out I nudged Brian’s arm, he followed me to my car without anyone noticing and leaned against it while lighting up a cigarette.

“The kids?” He asked as I nodded.

“You know Liddy is going to have a coronary.” I sighed as he nodded.

“Just stop trying with Matt ok? She won’t mind that I can bet you. Mich and I will be around, we all know Jimmy and Johnny can’t stay away from her either. Just let him do his thing and we don’t have to involve significant others or our families in anything work related ok? We’ll make all of this work. We just can’t give up on the band now, this is prime time and it’s what we do. It’s what we created and good forbid we let a girl, any girl, wedge that up ok?”

“I know. I know. Ok. Thanks Brian, I’ll have Jacky talk to Mich soon. Have a good one alright?”

“See ya around man.” He clapped his hand on the back of my shoulder and walked to his truck.

I climbed in my car and drove off towards the school. I parked in a spot and got out, waking towards the building I sent Jacky a quick text and then put my phone away upon walking into the building. I entered the reception office and caught the attention of the vice principal.

“Mr. Baker.” She smiled and walked over, “What can we do for you? I don’t think we called to have you come get Ethan today.” She joked a little. I chuckled, she was right that’s generally why I ever came in here.

“You’re right, you didn’t. I actually totally spaced out and Lideya has a dentist appointment today and I need to sign her out.” I lied as she reached for the sign out chart.

“I’m assuming you’re going to take Ethan to instead of coming back later?” She smirked and handed the book to me where I screamed down their names and the lame excuse, then my legible regular signature.

“Yes actually I will.” I nodded and handed her the book. She grabbed the phone and pressed a few buttons then called over the PA.

“Lideya and Ethan Baker please come to the office. Lideya and Ethan Baker.” She called and put the phone down. Within seconds they arrived, escorted by their class aides, to there office.

“Dad?” Liddy stared at me for a second, “What’s wrong? Why are you here? Is everything ok?”

Fuck, she was smart enough to know she didn’t have a dentist appointment for another two months, “No, I guess, I totally forgot mom scheduled that dentist appointment for you today. We have to go quick so we’re not late ok?” I have her a stern look and she nodded, “Thank you for letting me sign them out.” I thanked their vice principal and quickly walked out of the building while taking their backpacks with me.

“Dad-“

“Lid, just trust me ok?” I cut her off as we reached the car, “Mom’s at home waiting for us to pick her up.”

“Where are we going?” Ethan asked as Liddy climbed in quietly and put her headphones on.

“Somewhere special for a little mini vacation. We need some family time.”

I buckled him in to his booster and drive towards the house, making record safe time to the driveway. Jacky excited the house with two duffle bags and threw them in the back. She climbed into the passenger seat and smiled at me, “What’s with the spontaneity?”

“We need to connect as a family and I think getting away for a little will help that.” I grabbed my phone and dialed a number I knew by heart since element school.

“Either my caller ID is broken on Zack Baker is really calling me after deserting his adoptive family.”

I laughed a little, “Your caller ID is working fine Brian Sr. it’s me. Hey is there any way I could steal Big Bear from you tonight and for a few days?”

“Of course Z! God I don’t remember the last time one of you used the house.” He laughed, “There’s a lock code for the door now, I’ll text you the code. Do you want me to tell Brian you’re there or is this a secret escape mission?”

“If he calls and asks go right ahead, I just really figured me and the family needed some quality time. Thanks so much dad.”

“There it is, I was worried with that Sr. shit. Ok well drive safe with those kiddos and tell Jacky we said hi. I’ll text you the lock info and where the boat keys are.”

“Awesome thanks. Talk to you soon.” I hung up and looked at Jacky as she smirked. I glanced at Liddy and Ethan in the backseat, this is just what we need.