‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

She's a dwelling place for demons,

Liz’s POV

“I feel like you’re going to cause a scene.” Danny whispered as we walked towards the building, Colton swinging side to side on Jeff’s shoulders.

“Me?” I turned in feign shock, “A scene? No. You guys can go wait in line, I’m going out back.”

“You can’t,” Jeff shook his head, “The package I got you still have to-”

I held my hand up and pulled my driver's license from my pocket, “I still haven’t changed my name at the DMV yet.” I gave him a thumbs up, “Colty you be good ok? Mumma will be back soon to get you boys.”

“Alright Mumma!” Colton smiled and I walked away from them, they hung back in the parking lot watching, I continued towards the rear of the building where a few cars and security were gathered.

I pushed my hair over my shoulder. For the occasion I had curled it in long waves, I had done my makeup and put on bright red lipstick. I had one a pair of tight black jeans, ones I had gone shopping for specifically this morning, that rode on my hip bones and had holes throughout them. As a mother I couldn’t imagine letting my teenage daughter wear these, considering that’s the section I got them in. Along with the barely-covering crop top I had picked up, originally I thought it was a cute gathered headband. Nope, it barely covered my tits and felt appropriate for the night. To tie the entire thing together, the highest set of black stilettos in my closet.

I shifted my top a little bit and approached one of the guys, “Excuse me miss, no ones allowed back here.” He held a hand up to me but I had gotten close enough already.

“Shit, here.” I handed him my ID, an unamused look playing on his face, “You can go ask Zack if you need to but I promise you he’s expecting me.”

“Fuck... I thought he was joking.” He looked up at me, “That groupies would be everywhere trying dumb shit to get it.”

“Excuse me?” I asked, my jaw slacked, “Fuck. Got get one of the Berrys then-”

“Miss you’re going to have to go to the front entrance-”

“I swear to fucking God-”

“Woah woah, Kenny what’s going on back here?”

I smiled as an all too familiar voice boomed from around the corner, “It’s all fine, some little girl trying to act important.”

“Hun you’re going to have to go-… to the...”

I put my hand on my hip and pursed my lips, striking an annoyed pose as Jason rounded the corner, stopping in his tracks, “So about that little girl bullshit-”

“HOLY SHIT ELIZABETH!”

I couldn’t help the smile that forged it’s way on to my lips as he jumped the barricade, his body crushing in to mine with astounding force. He spun us around multiple times, arms snaked around my body tightly as I felt something wet on my skin.

“Jason if you’re crying I’ll kill you.” I managed to choke out as he set me down, my breathing recovering from his hug.

“Where-”

“I sent them to the front entrance.” I sighed a little, “Listen here’s what I want to happen-”

“If you expect them not to recognize you, you’re shit out of luck. They saw your facebook.” He crossed his arms after swiping away a few tears quickly.

“I noticed that.” I pushed his arm, smiling at his reaction, “Fuck... It’s been a while. Now listen-”

“No, you’re going to listen. You’re a bitch, for leaving. Honestly I had to distance myself from the guys because I was more mad than upset. You fucked up Matt pretty badly. This is how we’re playing this move tonight and I’m calling that shot.”

I stepped back and smiled at his statement, “Alright fine. We’ll reintroduce your way, Berry.”

:.:.:.:

Danny, Jeff, Colton, and myself were standing off the Zack’s side of the stage, two rows back in the crowd. Jason had managed to smuggle us through without anyone seeing us, especially the boys. I had caught an earful of Zack’s laugh while we scurried back stage and it sent an emotion through my body that made me unsure of how I was even going to handle the rest of the night. Colton was still perched on Jeff’s shoulders, excited was an understatement. I had let Jeff pre-game the night with a playlist of metal and heavy rock music before we left the house and on the ride over.

Somewhere in my stash of past I dug out an old band shirt of mine from the boys early days and honed in my sewing skills enough to make it fit Colton pretty well.

Danny was in dark jeans and a black shirt, his signature comfy sneakers on as his semblance of being an adult. I had bought Colton a pair of black converse to go along with his jeans and shirt ensemble, and Jeff was in an Avenged shirt that he surprisingly owned before hand, and an old pair of dark jeans with rips in them from wear. Unlike mine that were eighty dollars bought with holes.

“I would advise against any moshing or active dance tonight, Liz.” Jeff gestured to my top as the opening band readied to take the stage, “I don’t know if Colton needs to be reminded of breast feeding again. In public.”

“Well then.” I laughed and held my beer up a little higher, Jeff was staying sober to drive us, but Danny wasn’t drinking either, he was holding a water for himself and Colton, “I can’t promise I won’t get lost in that crowd for a bit.” I gestured beside me.

“In heels? I’ve seen you wear heels twice our entire relationship and you plan on being rowdy in them?” Danny asked.

“You said I was dramatic, my therapist says I need to be myself again and stop hiding who I am. That that’s what is causing my issues... So here we are. Calling on Elizabeth Baker, calling Miss Baker.” I faked a PeeWee Herman tone and smiled as the lights finally dimmed and their support act came on, “Let’s get fucking rowdy!” I grabbed Danny’s hand and squeezed it, the feeling of my wedding ring reminding me that no matter what, I was going home to something a thousand times more comforting than I’d ever experienced before in my life.

A few songs I had recognized, but I hadn’t been in to rock so much lately that I wasn’t in tune with new music or bands. But a lot of the beats were good and I scooted away from the guys and Colton for enough time that suddenly it was set change.

“Shit...” I looked around, not seeing the boys anywhere. Jason had a plan on how Zack was going to see us anyways and now I wasn’t in my spot. Idiot. Well it was going to have to improvise.

I bounced around between a few people, trying to make my way back over to the side of the stage but wasn’t making it. I was Liz anymore and my soul got smaller at the thought of no one recognizing me. I gave in and stayed where I was, taking my phone out and texting Danny that I was ok but things we going to go differently than I had explained earlier. I put my phone away just as an all too familiar guitar began playing.

I know Danny had told Zack I would talk to them soon, when he responded on Messenger, but he hadn’t said when. Right now, I was thanking God for that fact because my hands were shaking at the thought of it. How mad was he? How mad was Matt? Jason said he was mad, and the guys missed me. But after I stuck it out for five years without even a call to any of them, not even one of the girls, were they mad?

I shook off the worry as the lights cut out, a loud scream resonating through the speakers as they started off with a song I was all too familiar with, and knew that scream all too well. Scream could you have guessed? Val had recorded the introductory scream; I couldn’t recall what time in our lives that was at but all I knew was that it was her. And it still made me sick.

I watched up on stage as two bodies came out in the darkness as bass and music thumped through the speaker system. Instantly I recognized the shorter of the two and tears pricked in my eyes despite the screams, shouts, and energy around me. My heart thumped in my ears as if there wasn’t thousands of decibels ringing out around me.

“Hello Indianapolis how the HELL are ya?!”

My stomach fell out my ass, the voice over the speakers sent my body in to a complete shock. Then it happened. I felt it. I felt the snap of my common sense leaving my body as if I hadn’t, for a single day, resented everything that was in front of me.

Matt walked center stage and began singing. My body chilled to the core, yet there was sweat dripping down the center of my back. I shivered slightly and moved along with the crowd, jumping, somehow not snapping a heel. Before I knew it I was on the complete opposite side of the stage, directly in front of Brian as they ended Scream.

Next up? Beast and the Harlot. They were breaking out bangers tonight and I couldn’t stop the proud smile on my lips. I screamed along with Matt, staring up at him as if my eyes were cemented to his form. His body. The way his skin looked under the lighting of the venue.

I sang out and waved my hands in the air as if a younger, more obsessed, version of myself was suddenly, appropriately timed with the song, released. My hips swayed along with the music and I melted in to the crowd of people, feeling as if my heart had landed somewhere it was longing to be.

The last bit of the song was starting and Brian and Zack were back to back playing together, the shit eating grin on their faces barely visible in my eyes as I stared at Matt as he lowered himself, bending down as he sang directly to the crowd before the last chorus.

Suddenly he looked up and in Brian’s direction, pausing before he continued with a chuckle. I noticed Brian had stumbled playing, his notes two beats behind now. I looked up to see what the fuck was happening and noticed his dark brown eyes locked on to me.

My jaw dropped and his eyes widened, his fingers completely stopping moving. “Fuck.” I mouthed and he pointed at me.

“I think Syn forgot how to play.” Matt worked in to the song as the crowd noticed Brian’s lack of notes. I vehemently shook my head at Brian, making a slicing motion over my throat as he shook his head to regain focus. Quickly picking up where he fucked up and catching up.

The song ended and Matt walked over to Brian, wiping the sweat from his forehead, shivers flew down my spine, “I think the next song should be a little easier on our rockstar over here.” Zack joked in to his mic as Matt said something off his mic to Brian.

Brian shook his head and picked up as the intro to Almost Easy began. His fingers sliding up and down his guitar as Matt took center stage once again. I moved around quickly so that when Brian looked up next to find me, I was gone. I sighed in relief as Matt began singing and pushed in to the center of the room, attempting to maneuver back to the other side with Danny, Colton, and Jeff but didn’t make it. People were moshing already and I overestimated my ability as an old woman now to move. This was going to be a long night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for cutting it here but it was originally hella long and needed to be done in two. I don't know what possessed me to write is as a single chapter.