‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

It Takes Me Under Once Again

Zack’s POV

Colton was playing in a heap of sand in the back yard, Brian was inside grabbing another round of drinks, Liz was upstairs taking a quick shower since she had house her two first glasses of wine a little faster than she planned, and Danny and I were sitting on the patio watching over Colton.

“So, your sons the same age?” Danny asked, finishing off his beer, “Liz hasn’t told me anything too deep about her family.”

“Well, that’d take years.” I laughed, “Yeah, Ethan’s a few-… Wait, what’s Colton’s birthday? I haven’t even asked that yet. Ethan’s is June fifth, he was a few days early.”

“No, seriously?” Danny asked.

“Yeah only a couple though-”

“No I mean June fifth-”

“What about June fifth?” Liz walked out, drying her hair with her fingers, “That’s Colton’s birthday.”

“NO WAY.” I stared at Danny, “That’s what you meant!”

“About what?” Liz asked.

“Ethan’s birthday is June fifth.” I laughed, “That’s fucking insane.”

“How possible is that.” Liz sat down, “Are you serious? Wasn’t Jacky-”

“You were like a month early, Liz.” Danny reminded her, “Remember? He was wicked small.”

“Yeah,” Liz nodded and took a breath in, “Six pounds. Little nugget.”

“Houston, we have an issue.” Brian walked back outside with a small tray of drinks.

“Are we out of booze?” Liz asked and took her glass of water from him.

“No, worse-”

“BRIAN! I’M HERE WITH FOOD I NEED HELP!”

We all shared a collective wide eyed look, minus Danny, who had no idea what the voice shouting from the front of the house meant, “She’s like an hour early.” I hissed at Brian, “Why does your wife have the worst timing in the universe?!”

“She’s bringing stuff, of course she’s early!” He hissed and Liz instantly stood up, moving to the seat behind me and leaning against my back. I chuckled a little bit at her hiding technique as Michelle appeared at the sliding door, giving Colton one glance.

“Oh, Zack’s here. I didn’t think the kids were coming until later?... And where’s Lid?” She looked around, her eyes falling on Danny, a questioning look, “Did you guys finally fire Matt as a singer and get a new one? Is that what this is about? Is this a party for that?” She laughed jokingly.

“If only.” Brian rolled his eyes and I could feel heat radiating through Liz’s body in to my back, “No uhm... This is Danny, uh, Heely.”

“Oh, hi Danny Heely.” Michelle nodded at him, “How do you know the guys? Are you like... Wait are you wearing an Indianapolis Colts shirt?”

“Yeah,” Danny nodded, blinking rapidly as Liz shimmied a little, Michelle looked at me curiously, “I’m from there.”

“How do you guys know someone from Indianapolis? And Zack what the fuck is wrong with you? You look stiff as a goddamn board.”

“Michelle.” Brian took her by the hands, “I think this might be easier if I say it quickly.”

“Are you gay? Are you leaving me for this guy?” She rolled her eyes, “What the god is going on here?”

“This is Danny, this is Liz’s husband.”

Michelle turned at the words and stared at him, “Yeah, sure. We don’t hear from her for five years and suddenly you think she’s married? That’s a fucking sick joke assholes.” Her eyes flicked from me, to Danny, to Brian, and back, “If that's her fucking husband, where the fuck is she? Exactly. You guys suck, I’m going home I’m not in the mood for a barbecue now.”

“Right here.”

Michelle stopped in her tracks, turning ever so slowly at the sound of a female voice behind me. I felt Liz’s chin rest on my shoulder and Michelle’s eyes all but fell from her sockets, “No, how... What?” Michelle looked at Brian, “What’s going on who is that?”

“Mich, it’s me.” Liz knelt up on the bench behind me, “It’s me.”

“Oh, for the love of Jesus and all things fucking holy, Elizabeth!”

Michelle lunged forward, shoving me out of her way as she embraced Liz. They stumbled back, Liz finding her footing quite well for being as buzzed as she was. There weren’t words but sobs coming from the two women, it looked as if they were going to turn to stone with how still they became, “Someone say something so we know you’re alive.” Brian prompted after taking a drink of his beer.

“WHERE DID YOU FIND HER?!” Michelle turned, still holding Liz’s shoulders, her makeup now running down her face, Liz’s doing the same.

“Indianapolis.” Brian nodded as if Michelle had missed that information in a not-yet-had conversation.

“What!?” Michelle looked at us, “You found her and didn’t tell me?! Who else knows?!”

“That she’s here? Just Zack and I. That we found her? All the boys. Jason snuck her in to our Indy show and we went to their house after wards to talk. It got a little... heated with two of them-”

“Oh was Matt a douche-” Michelle stopped, “You’re married.” She looked at Danny, “Oh my god you’re really her husband... Liz! You’re married?!”

“I am.” Liz nodded a little with a small laugh, “And Colton’s five and apparently looks more like Ethan than I’d know.”

Michelle’s eyes widened yet again as she looked over to Colton, who was unphased still playing in the sand, “Holy shit!” Her hand hit her mouth, “He looks just like him if I didn’t know better!”

“Slightly.” I shrugged, “We’ll be able to tell later.”

“I’m... I’m so... I have no words.” Michelle grasped Liz’s arm, “Oh I missed you.”

“No words?” Brian gulped his beer, again, “That’s fucking new.”

“Oh shut up you prick, I’m so mad at you still. Keeping this from me. Oh Jacky’s going to lose her ever loving mind. Liddy-”

“Liddy is going to have a coronary.” I shook my head.

“That’s the one that’s going to get me. Everyone can cry and sob and freak out over it... She’s going to hate me.” Liz stared at the ground, “She gave Matt an earful, I can only imagine what she has in store for me.”

“Oh baby girl,” Michelle wrapped Liz in another hug, “Fuck, boys go empty the truck out, get me a glass of wine, I have so much to catch up on. Fuck.”

“You? I have two children to be filled in on.” Liz smiled and gave Danny’s arm a squeeze as he followed us towards the house.

“Welcome to the shit show by the way Danny!” Michelle called out without looking up, I laughed and smacked his back.

“Yeah, welcome. If you hold up through the next two weeks I’ll be impressed.” I laughed and opened the front door, helping Brian quickly unload the truck and bring everything in to the house.

Danny went to start the grill, the girls still in mild hysterics as we worked around them, Colt was just as intent on the sand box as earlier, he looked as if he had Liz's attention to detail for sure. I walked in the kitchen as Brian was making burger patties on a large plate to bring to Danny, he looked up at me and shook his head.

"Oh? That look is for?" I asked and started grabbing condiments from the cupboards to bring out.

"The text I just got." He nudged his phone with his bent wrist so not to get raw meat on it. I picked his phone up and opened up the last text, my jaw slacked, "Yeah, pretty standard huh?"

"Well.. One less thing for her to worry about." I set down the phone after texting Matt back a quick fucker. He wasn't coming tonight, "In his defense, he has no idea what's going on."

"If he knew he'd be doing the same."

I turned around as Liz stood in the doorway to the kitchen, "Liz.."

"I'm assuming this conversation was another one I wasn't meant to hear," She walked in and hoisted herself on to the counter behind Brian and myself, "Just like the one in the living room earlier too. Don't worry, your wife is playing a game of nine thousand questions with my husband." She added to answer Brian's confused look.

"Gotcha." He nodded, "It's so weird seeing you say husband without complete hatred coating the word."

"Yeah, cuz I married someone good this time." She snickered and kicked her foot out to Brian's butt, "So... Uhm, he's the only one who bailed so far, right?"

"Yes, Lizard, Jimmy is still coming. Any minute now to be exact, and I can attest for the fact he will more than likely lose his ever loving shit at the sight of you." Brian rolled his eyes, "I'm more annoyed at having to deal with his flood of tears really than Matt bailing."

"Hey, at least you have some time to prepare for him being around Colt." I shrugged, "And the conversation surrounding it."

"I heard a car door." Liz's eyes shot to the kitchen door as the front door boomed open.

"Where my bitches at!?" Jimmy shouted as Leana, from a distance behind him it sounded, reprimanded his cursing, "Eh it's fine. I need a stiff drink and quick."

"When don't you?" Liz called, the house fell silent aside from the slow deafening footsteps getting closer to the kitchen door. It gently opened, I almost got dizzy at how slowly Jimmy was moving as he walked in. His eyes were already misting as he fully opened the door.

"Wow."

I couldn't read the emotion coming off his tone, and I got the drift neither could Liz as she slipped from the counter to stand on the floor. She brushed her hair from her face, waving slightly at Jimmy as he stood still as brick, staring at her, "Hey Jimbo."

"Elizabeth... When did..." He shook his head, "I need a minute." With that he turned and walked out the door, letting it slam behind him. Liz stood still.

"He's just shocked Liz, he'll be back in." I grabbed her shoulders and held her tightly, her body was rigid but she seemed to accept the hug more than earlier.

"Right." She nodded and wiped at her eyes a little, "I'm going to go see if Colt needs anything."

"Alright, I'm sending these burgers out so there will be food soon." Brian spoke carefully as she walked out, his eyes now meeting mine, "That wasn't good."

"No, it fucking wasn't." I mumbled, Jimmy had been so excited about Liz back in Indianapolis. That was not the reaction I had anticipated.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait (she says hopefully as if anyone is reading this)

Bullshit excuses aside I'm just lazy as fuck, so there's that.

xxoo donthatemeplease JB