‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

This is my reaction, to everything I fear.

Liz's POV

I woke up the next morning on the couch, my feet were blistered and aching from the walk home, it took me nearly two hours to stumble back. When I finally made it I quietly drank almsot two gallons of water in the kitchen, which is what I was currently attributing my lack of hangover to.

"Oh, Liz, fuck, you're home."

I looked up as Danny made his way down the stairs, rubbing his eyes, "Yah I figured I wouldn't wake you up."

"I went to bed an hour ago," He shrugged, "I didn't even hear you come in. I was waiting up for you. I've been on the phone with Zack almost all night after he called flipping out. That was fun."

"Shit, I'm sorry." I sighed.

"You should have let Matt drive you, what the fuck were you thinking? You know I don't care-"

"I know, I get it. You're a nice guy, you don't fucking get it, Danny." I put my hands up, "I've fucked up too many times with Matt ok? I've gone back every single time and I'm not trying to fuck this up," I gestured between him and I, "I love you so fucking much-"

"Then you shouldn't even question it, you should know that you won't fuck him." Danny crossed his arms, "I trust you."

"I don't trust myself, Danny. Sober? Yeah, no problem. Drunk? As drunk as I was last night? If I had known he was picking us up I wouldn't have drank nearly as much as I did. That's the issue." I shook my head, "My past... what I've done drunk, in the past when I was married to Matt, isn't my soapbox to preach on."

"I see." Danny nodded, "Well.. than you for your decision, but you should have called me then."

"I uhm... About that." I shrugged.

"Jacky told Zack, he told me. Also I think you may have sparked world war three at their house..." Danny sat beside me, "Colt's upstairs watching a show on my phone, I wanted to make sure you weren't home before I brought him down, since I didn't hear you, or that if you snuck in you weren't a wreck... How are you functioning anyways? You said you were really drunk."

"Water," I laughed, "I drank about two gallons in the kitchen when I got in. And my feet are toast." I looked at the bloody blistered on my heels.

"It would have been an even smarted decision to take the heels off before walking home." Danny winced.

"This isn't home." I corrected out of habit, "See, fuck, I can't handle being back here." I stood up, disregarding the pain and taking a breath, "This place brings out the crazy bitch in me. I didn't start world war three in that house," I pointed at Danny now, my brain catching that little comment, "That's been brewing between Jacky and I for a life time now. She started our relationship on a shit note and just magnified it last night."

"I kind of got filled in from Zack last night... this morning. He told me a lot about high school. Jacky was losing it in the back ground the whole time. I think Liddy was awake too."

"Great." I mumbled and looked at the clock, "I should call Z and make sure I didn't fuck the kid up."

"I'd wait, I just hung up with him like half an hour ago and he said something about calming her down for a while or something. But... you're probably going to want to get a new phone asap so you can actually call people."

"I know, I know." I rolled my eyes and stood up, as if on cue, how things happened around here, the doorbell rang. I squinted and looked at Danny, "Who the fuck is here at ten in the morning. No one functions that early."

"They all have kids now." Danny reminded me, I noded, that was a natural five in the morning alarm clock.

I grabbed a bathrobe from the downstairs bathroom and put it over my dress from last night, I cracked the door open and my heart dropped at the sight of Matt.

"Hey." He nodded, holding a small plastic white bag in his hands.

"Come in." I moved aside and let him in. Matt hesitantly walked inside, I scanned the room and noticed Danny had evacuated. I groaned internally, "What's up?"

"I'm sorry about last night, if I had known I would have called Brian and figured out how to get him over there." Matt blurted, "I get it, it's weird as fuck, and I know Jimmy told you and there's just so much in my head right now... I could have reacted so much better last night and I just fucked up."

"You were fine, I was a bitch." I shook my head, "I was rude to you-"

"Me? Liz you told off Jacky for me," He laughed, "You essentially stuck up for me, I appreciate it. But I could have handled it differently instead of letting you walk home. Oh, and this is for you."

"Matt don't.." I took the bag from his hands, laughing slightly at the box inside, "Thanks."

"Not the first time I've gotten you a new phone so I figured you had the same taste in brand and color." He shrugged.

I nodded, pulling out the brand new phone in it's box, laughing at his reference to the time I got mugged down town and he had to replaced all my cards and my phone, "Wanna sit down and have a cup of coffee or something? Maybe talk? I'm pretty sure Danny's upstairs having a movie marathon with Colt so we have some time."

"Sure." Matt nodded and walked in to the kitchen with me, "I just feel like I fucked up by not coming last night, and then the whole bar situation was fucked."

"You're telling me?" I laughed and unboxed the metallic silver phone, "Spot on with the color." I smiled and turned it on, "So you really need to just tell me what you think about this, what you want from it, like... how involved you want to be. It's really on your terms Matt, Jimmy put it really plain for me in a really rough sense of plain. It's not my right any more to keep him from you if you want to be in his life, but if you don't... it's not my right to force that on you and it's not fair to tell him."

"I want to, Liz, I want to be in his life. But you guys moving back to Indy makes that nearly impossible, and I can't ask you to move back here, that's not fair." He shook his head, "I'm so torn and so stuck right now... You're happy, happier than I'd ever seen you with me or even just here. I uhm, I guess me saying that to Jimmy was just a gut reaction and me not coming was the wrong thing to do. I've actually done a lot of thinking about it since we left Indy. Honestly I came to the conclusion of what I want to do but I guess I'm just so freaked out you'll hate the idea and it'll backfire-"

"Hit me with it." I cut him off, pushing a cup of coffee towards him as I sipped my own, "Try me."

"I'm going to buy a house in Greensburg, or a condo, and I'll spend as much time as I can there when we aren't touring and when we have a few off days on tour I'll fly in to see him, or I can fly you guys out to shows. I want to be there, Liz. I really do. That's my idea."

I couldn't help the tears welling in my eyes as he spouted off the idea, his words moving so quickly as if letting them linger in his mind any longer would delete them totally and he would lose all ability to speak them, "I love it. I think it's the best idea that's ever happened."

"Seriously? Really, Liz?" He asked, "Because I already found a place, I've just been hesitant-"

"Right now, do it." I pointed at his phone, "Do it. You don't go back on tour in the forseeable future, right?"

"Right." Matt nodded, "We haven't scheduled anything because we wanted to see what this one would bring."

"So buy it. Live there until you need to physically be in California... I mean, as long as Colton takes it well, I'm fine with you two spending as much time together as you'd like as long as you're appropriate around him."

"Appropriate?" Matt smirked at me.

"Yeah, I don't need my son bringing nude pictures in to school with him or knowing your log in to Brazzers."

"Jesus, Liz, let's be real here I'm not a complete idiot." Matt raised an eyebrow at me, "I don't have log ins to any porn site I just get nudes from groupies duh."

"You're disgusting." I laughed and took a deep breath, "So. Now the question is when."

"Whenever." Matt nodded, "I'm totally ready for this now."

"Alright." I looked down at my bathrobe, "How about... you, Danny, and Colt make breakfast together like a nice double daddy duo, while I go shower last night off and put some clean clothes on first."

"Good plan, your feet are hideous." Matt pointed at them, "I'm ever so slightly mad at you for being so stubborn."

"I'm ever so slightly ready to tear Jacky's head from her dumb fucking cunt body for being such a bitch."

"That's nothing knew." Matt shrugged, "Sounds like ten years ago to me."

"Gross, don't remind me how old I am." I shook my head as we both walked to the living room, "Our son does that on the daily. Ok I'll go get the boys, I'll be down soon ok?"

"Sounds good captain cracky feet."

"Shut your dumb mouth Sanders."

"To think you used to be insulting yourself too." Matt snickered behind me and I turned on my heel, instantly regretting it.

"I'll castrate you and tell Colt he has two mom's, got it?"

"Like Magic Johnson has got HIV." He nodded and I shook my head, finally continuing my walk upstairs to send Danny and Colt down. This was either going to go wonderful, or backfire so hard in our faces we would need a plastic surgeon.
♠ ♠ ♠
xxxxx