When the Party's Over

we have a good thing

“I love you.” Miles whispered as his lips rubbed against the skin over my shoulder. I turned my head toward him as we lay on his bed, tangled in each other and cooling down. Our skin was still sticky. “I’m sorry I lied.” He looked up at me under his eyelashes and I already wanted to jump his bones again. He lifted his hand from my thigh and rubbed my chin, watching his thumb trace the scar there from when I was younger and fell off my scooter.

I moved my head down to kiss the pad of his thumb. “Don’t do it again.”

He nodded and continued his butterfly kisses on my shoulder. I brushed his hair on the side of his head and kissed a spot there before I moved from under him to get dressed. “Where are you going?”

“I need to go home and eat something.” I told him as I pulled on my leggings over my underwear.

“I can make you something.”

I faced him as I pulled my bra on and bent over to pick my shirt up. “I need to take care of myself, Miles.”

His joyful expression faded as quick as I brought my shirt over my head. “Wait... Are we together?” He sat up and threw his legs over the side of the bed. He stood slowly, looking confused as ever.

“I didn’t mean it like that.” I grabbed his hand quick and cupped his cheek. “I love you.”

“Okay,” he nodded.

I gave him a smile and pulled my sweatshirt on lastly before grabbing my mom’s keys. I walked over to him after he put his sweatpants on and kissed him sweetly. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I felt better on the drive back home. It felt good to call Miles mine again and to have his scent stuck to my skin. I always wanted it to be that way. I parked the car behind my dad’s and headed inside as my stomach growled.

“Where’d you go, honey?” My mom touched my shoulder as I reheated the dinner she just made. She was in her pajamas with her hair up already as she put a dirty bowl into the sink. She must’ve had her nightly ice cream.

“I had to go talk to Miles.”

“How is he?”

“Really good,” I smiled.

“Are you two back together?”

“Yeah. I think we’re still figuring things out, but yeah.”

“As long as you’re happy.” She kissed my forehead and disappeared into the house. I turned to the microwave and took the food out and ate it at the table. When I was finished, I jumped in the shower then went right to bed. Miles had tired me out.

I woke up a little late to texts from Miles, telling me he was outside. I jumped out of bed and got dressed quickly before running downstairs to get in his car.

“Late riser today?” He laughed as I buckled myself in.

“Can you blame me? You tired me out.”

He smirked as he drove down my street. “I can do it again, if you want.”

I wasn’t sure why he insisted on picking me up when I lived down the street from school. I had been walking for the past few months while we hadn’t been together and now it was like we never broke up. Everyone was staring at us as we walked into the building, hand in hand. I rolled my eyes as we walked past the gym.

“You would think they would find something else to be upset about.”

Miles laughed and let go of my hand to put his arm around me. “They have nothing better to do.”

“I guess so.”

“They’ll probably say some stuff, but don’t listen to them, okay?”

“My headphones will be in, most likely.”

“I know, but don’t make any scenes, Harley.”

“Me? Make scenes? I would never.”

He bent down to kiss my cheek as we rounded the corner for our homerooms. We stopped outside of mine and he kissed me hard before letting me go. Right when I got in the room, Jill was hounding me. I sat in my seat and put my headphones in, trying not to roll my eyes.

“You guys are back together! I knew it!” She grinned to herself, like it was the biggest news in the world. “When did it happen?”

“Don’t you have other things to worry about, Jill?” I interrupted her, growing annoyed. She closed her mouth surprisingly and leaned back in her seat. “We’re not friends. We never were. My life is none of your business so stay the fuck out of it.”

She looked away from me and I faced the front of the room, resuming my music. The morning announcements played and I could hear them partly. Once the bell rang, I didn’t bother waiting for Jill to walk beside me. I didn’t need her to. She was a snob who didn’t care about anything but her rank in high school. All she wanted out of me was gossip and I was so glad I never gave her any of it.

The day went by fast and I stayed behind a little bit in ceramics so I could finish my sculpture before tomorrow. We had to make coffee mugs for our first project and it was fairly easy. All I needed to do was put glaze over it and I did that quickly as the bell rang. I set it aside for my teacher to put in the oven then I grabbed my things. I hummed as I walked down the halls to the cafeteria, thinking about food. I was starving and I hoped it was something good today. I went into the line and waited, pulling out my phone. Miles had texted me, asking where I was. I put it back in my pocket when I told him.

“Hey,” he touched my hip and I turned to look up at him. He looked bothered about something. “What did you say to Jill?”

I rolled my eyes and faced the line as it moved. “The truth. What, she went to you to tattle-tail?”

“She just mentioned that you were really rude to her this morning.”

“She’s dramatic.”

“When are you going to start being nice to people, Harley?”

“I am nice.” I defended. “People just annoy me.”

Miles laughed and hugged me shortly before I moved forward so I was next to order. I got a slice of pizza and a water and thanked the lunch ladies. Miles got the same thing and we sat down at a table together to eat. A couple of his friends came over to join us for about ten seconds before they left to go run down the hall.

“Your friends are annoying.”

“Everyone’s annoying to you, Harley.” He smiled playfully at me. I squinted at him, mocking his smile. He laughed and wiped his hands on the napkin he grabbed. “How come I’m not annoying to you?”

I looked at him through my glasses, the muscles in my forehead moving. “I don’t know. You just aren’t.”

“It’s my handsome looks, huh? You’re just keeping me around for my looks.”

“No, I’m not. Don’t say that.”

Miles’ humorous smile disappeared. “I didn’t mean it in a bad way, Harley.”

“You just don’t annoy me, okay? You don’t suck like everyone else.”

He nodded and we finished up our lunch before he took my hands and pulled me out of my seat. We threw our plates away and headed toward the front doors to leave. He brought me to his house and we went upstairs to his room and watched a movie until his parents came home.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope everyone had a lovely thanksgiving, if you celebrated it. thanks for reading.