Status: Ever so slowly being updated.

Unending Trails

Teurin's Tension

For the moments that I had thought him to be crazy, I had my reasons. Maybe it was in fact that times now are happening too fast —that I’d think they’d never happen. “Too odd,” I’d think to myself, and yet there I was, still with him. Yet, I anticipated the time that the things he’d tell me were in fact true.

What he had said, about the instinct… it still stuck with me. It echoed now more than ever though, because of the simple fact that instead of now being excited, I was a little wary.

Upon entering Teurin, there were many things odd that I saw. Well, compared to Tierredaviid at least. I hadn’t expected it to be as big as it was. From afar, it looked like a simple collective of houses, comparable to that of a relatively small village. It gave off the feeling that a wayfarer —say for instance Alton— could come to relax if there had been an inn, as if most of their fame was from travelers and visitors across.

From up close however, it was grander… more warming; a feeling more similar to that of what I could feel at home —only with this, it just wasn’t complete. Teurin had almost no walls from what I saw, and many of the buildings were still fresh from birth, with no connection whatsoever. It felt as if this place was commissioned by a city or a bigger group, built for whatever reason they had in mind —and seemingly within a couple of years; a hasty commission that had to be done to accommodate influential passersby.

That, in turn, gave off a fake feeling… one that if I really thought about it, was almost the opposite of what Tierredaviid did. The people didn’t help at all either.

The town might give off the same feeling as home, only if there was commotion. Here, it was barren. As if there was a meeting that was taking place right now, and we showed up late. That wasn’t to say that there were no people at all, as I’d seen a few here and there… but it was just that. It had been a sigh of relief when I did see one person, or a few walking down the gravel path.

Morning-quarter had almost been to an end with the sun blazing down at an angle and the shadows becoming smaller. The sound of the cart shaking on the path was no different from what I remember. Sorrel and Dahlia pulled almost effortlessly, the two slightly out of sync together, breathing and grunting softly in response to one another as if they whispered to each other.

There were buildings on each side of us that were all manner of different —but oddly similar. Some were small, having wooden support beams upholding a larger upper floor possible, while others were short and stout, but longer; one key aspect was the roof, as even though the buildings each had their own uniqueness, they all had a roof almost identical to Alton’s cabin. Empty pots and laid at the sides and fronts of the buildings, scattered around as if they were rocks. Not often I’d see people having a talk or being out in general.

Though nothing was as unsettling as the looks they’d give if they happened to look our way. When we had traveled not far from the “entrance” of the settlement, a fellow in a white coat had eyed us. I’d assume he was just a guard, as he’d a noticeable orange band around his left bicep, with a symbol I didn’t recognize as he had his arms crossed. I still remember his cold gaze which was unwelcoming to say the least. I couldn’t blame him though, a guard has to keep his awareness and suspicion up… at least I’d think.

Sensing my own surrounding, I look forward from the houses and other buildings to see the path widening to a larger area, a well in the center of many more buildings that were bigger than what I’d seen before. I’d notice rather the path created a remotely circular formation, where many more paths opened up past the well. It was here that there were more people walking around, sitting idly by and chatting away. One gentleman in overalls and cloth garments was at the well, working the pulley that made the ropes coming out of the center of the well move.

Curious, I spoke up and asked Alton, “Is this the square?”

He turned his head slightly looking at the houses and replied in a dark and gloomy voice, “Just one of ‘em.”

“There’s more?”

“Mmmm hm. Three small ones, just like this one, and one big one. The big one is where everything’s at.”

I chuffed in surprise and examined the buildings even further, “…and here I thought this was a village.”

“This place gets to ya, I’m tellin’ you,” he paused, turning his head left to right and examining the buildings around the well, continuing on with a soft whisper, “…just full of surprises.”

Alton had steered the cart to the left ovular path, where the cart was reaching right at the center of it, not too far from the people walking in front of the buildings and not too far from the well.

The circular path and the buildings around it gave me a more relaxing openness, as the buildings thus far weren’t connected. They were taller, to which I expected them to have more floors compared to the others, and likewise they too had the triangular prism-esque shape topping off their ceilings.

Though in the end, it had just been my biased nature of living where I was. It was the brazen warmness of the dark alleyways and the tall buildings that gave me a sense of protection. Granted, it wasn’t as if it were relaxing, but deep down I knew I was in the belly of the beast —the web of life.

I stopped my wandering upon feeling a strong sense of being watched. Throughout the trip, it had been this way, but as of now, it was stronger than ever. Curious if I could see the pair of eyes staring at me —or even if I was right for that matter, I turned my head left to see nothing. Just the same people minding their business.

‘Nothin.’

I turned my head right, and likewise saw nothing. The shrouds of people and couples were all that I could notice, and upon feeling the dance of my eyes becoming desperate to prove myself right was too fast, I had sighed and given up.

I had felt the slowing of the cart’s speed. A feeling of peace came over me when finally, the rocking and shaking halted and my body was able to feel still once more. Turning my head to see as to why we’d stopped, I saw Alton looking far out towards one of the pathways leading out, where two men in white coats —similar to the guard I had seen— had been wearing.

They were walking towards us, one a little taller than the other —in which he had been smiling, waving at Alton.

“A fine day it is about to become, isn’t it?” the tall one said quite a ways away, his voice softened by the distance between us all.

“So it seems,” Alton responded back with a starking difference in the loudness of the voice. “Seems to be just perfect for anything.”

They had walked the length of the path until they were no more than a few feet away from me, almost as close as they could get —maybe a hand’s reach— beside Sorrel without becoming too invasive. The tall one extended a hand, where his sleeve held true to the length of his arm, almost keeping still to his movements.

“Name’s Frederick, though many call me Fisk,” he said, grasping Alton’s hand, reinvigorating his smile before he turned to the small one next to him.

“Vance,” the small one softly uttered, briefly reaching out to do the same as the other had done before quickly stepping back.

“Pleasure to meet you all,” Alton smiled back, “I’m known to be Alton, traveler of many, and seeker of the mysterious.” He turned his back at an angle to face them, and gestured at me with his thumb, “This here is Liamae.”

I nodded in greeting, to which Fisk did the same, though Vance seemed more reclusive to making a very small nod.

“Likewise, it’s a pleasure to meet you here on this fine day,” Fisk had responded, looking between me and Alton, keeping his soft smile. He turned his head to take into full view of the cart and the two horses, before continuing on, “So, what brings you two here?”

“Ah, well you see, I just recently returned from the north —from Tierredaviid to be exact, and seeing as I have another mouth to feed, I must restock,” he paused, to which Fisk made a low humming sound as if to relay he understood. “Though truthfully, I have some business to attend to, so I’ll have to meet with some acquaintances of mine who live here.”

Keeping in mind of the conversation, I strayed my focus to the two standing, and made notice of their facial features. The quiet one, Vance —who currently was looking down the path with his hands in the pockets of the coat, had a softer appearance. His cheekbones were everso gradual, and his dark-brown —almost blackish hair complimented his face nicely. His dark eyes were sharp, but gave a confusing tone, as if he was weary already from the day, though his awareness of being up close to social interaction forced him to be in his senses. He looked in almost every direction he could, over his shoulder, past Frisk, and even over the cart, and it was rare that I saw him look at continuously at one of us for a long period of time.

The other, Fisk, was taller in comparison, and had a more stark appearance. His somewhat flowing blonde hair —which frisked at the ends in all manner of direction— came down to his neck, and his dark sleek eyebrows contrasted his softer eye shape. Granted, his eyes were wincing, and seemed as though they haven’t moved from that position since they approached us. From what I could see, his brownish-hazel eyes were a lot more calming, and almost immediately, you couldn’t help but feel his happiness infect you.

Fisk nodded after hearing from Alton and replied, “I see.” He sighed before exhaling and continuing, “Well, if you haven’t heard already, times are wary as of now. Seems as though the people are becoming more reclusive.”

Alton nodded, turning his head to see the people walking past and around the path, “I’ve noticed. Town’s gettin’ quieter n’ quieter everytime I come.”

Fisk crossed his arms and pursed his lips, nodding as if he too was experiencing the same scenario.

“Know of anything that’s happened the past few weeks or so?” Alton asked.

“Not that I know of,” Fisk answered, “It’s always been the usual. Folk’ll come to us, complaining about the regular happenings about bandits. Nothin’ too much we can’t handle, but it’s been the same.”

Alton sat, looking up from Fisk and staring ahead as if he was thinking to himself. He nodded, “I see…”

Though I was interested in the conversation, I zoned out as I felt that same feeling of someone watching us, and was curious if this time I’d catch the culprit. The words being exchanged between the two drew further and further away, until they were almost gibberish-like sounds that I couldn’t make out. I turned my head to my right to see the buildings lined around the path, to find only people walking and talking. Though when I focused among the crowd, I noticed a small face staring back at me.

‘There you are…’

It was close to a building, where up against a wall I saw a little girl who had been wearing a straw hat that was noticeably larger than her body, as if it was an adult’s and she had taken it out. I couldn’t quite make out her features, but I knew for sure that she was staring back at me. She wore a simple white dress with a somewhat long blue skirt, and her hair was tied into pigtails that came out under her hat. Awkwardly, I stared back, and was confused with myself on whether or not I should wave or signal some other way —as if I wouldn’t, it’d only get more awkward.

Gee, nothing else seems more interesting to you?

Don’t be rude.

Right, but how much longer are you gonna stare at her?

Suddenly, I became flustered and felt a surge of embarrassment wash over me. I’d no doubt that if I could see myself, I’d see my reddened cheeks. At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to just sink myself across the bottom of the cart and hide myself. Though my surge was short lived, as the conversation beside me became clearer. I had clued out on almost all the words, though I noticed that it was coming to a close when I faintly heard words that usually, my father or mother would say.

“Well, I’ll let you two be. We too have matters to attend to. Great wishes to the both of you, and may the day treat you well.”

I turned my head to see the both of them already gone, only to notice them walking on behind the cart and continuing on the path from where we had came.

“Of course. Great wishes to you both,” Alton had responded, and waved his hand.

I stared on, watching them walk on as the cart started to move again.

“Odd fellows, them two…” Alton said, as I turned my head to my left and looked at him.

“Why do you say that?”

“Don’t know. Just seem a little… odd.”

I chuffed and turned my head to where the girl had been looking at me before, and just like that, she was gone. The only thing that was left was the empty wall and the casual passersby that clouded my view from the building.

“So, about the people? Somethin’ caught my eye, so I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Fellow was just talking about how everyone’s on edge lately. Hopefully they can take care of it, though I’m worried about one thing.”

“What’s that?” I asked.

“Seems like we might have to go farther than Teurin for food.”

“Is it that scarce around here?”

“Not really. Just that it’s too much of a risk to just give away food, and I hate to be a burden.”

I nodded slightly, and thought back on what he said about his acquaintances, “About that, who are we meeting first?”

“Old friend of mine, goes by Delatorre Halstead. Known him always to be a kind helper, ever since I first came here. Might can help us with what we need, but as of now, my optimism ain’t lookin’ too pretty. If he can’t help, then he definitely will know where to point us on to…”

A soft and deep hum was all that I could mutter out.

Though to my surprise, it wasn’t that long of a ride to the fellow’s house. The sky read the beginning of noon, and the temperature rose just a tad hotter. From the so-called “square” we had been at, we had taken a number of turns down the left path, where the houses were somewhat the same in terms of style. Of course, deviating from the main path we had followed since we’d arrived, we ended up with the same odd lack of people wandering the paths, which only made my paranoia and anxiety worse.

Nonetheless, I was relieved to finally use my legs and feel the solid ground beneath me. Alton had stopped the cart near the front of the building —not too far from the entrance, and not too far from the side. Here, there had been a lot more greenery and plantlife than compared to the patches of soil and grass along the main path, which I’d no doubt it was entirely in consideration for Sorrel and Dahlia. I had no clue on how long we were staying, but I was betting on staying either no more than the end of evening-quarter, or no less than maybe a half an hour or so.

I had turned my head to take into detail the house’s exterior. It was just as any of the other houses had looked: built of mainly wood, and a straw roof to complement the supporting foundation.

Though what gave me a different feeling about it wasn’t it’s comparisons to the other buildings I’d seen, it was its own commotion. Upon walking behind Alton who was already next to the door of the house, I’d heard hints of conversation and little moments of loud laughter. It was as if this building alone put at ease of my little worries for this quiet settlement.

I stood to the left of Alton, who had his arm raised, ready to knock. He laid his fist against the wooden door, turned his head to look at me and dipped his head as if he wanted confirmation that I was ready. In return, I made a slight and soft nod, to which he looked back to the door and knocked. Though, it wasn’t a regular knock, as I sensed Alton had placed some rhythm into it, a sort of code to give the owner of the house an idea of who it was behind the door. After doing so, he let his eyes fall to the base of the door, a seemingly impatient stare, waiting for someone to answer.

Though instead of a response, we had gotten complete silence, and all conversation —all the little bits of laughter fell to a stop. Yet again, I was left with the anxious wait, hearing nothing but the commotion of Sorrel and Dahlia behind me, and the nature sounds all around us.