‹ Prequel: Beta

Gamma

18

Tyler heard the front door before he heard the voice. “Hey, hotshot,” Shea’s voice called out as she saw him from the front entrance. Tyler had moved to the couch before Savannah had left, just watching ESPN and playing with his dogs, who all seemed a little less crazy as if they knew something was wrong with Tyler.

“Hey, stranger,” he greeted her. “To what do I owe this pleasure?” he asked her. “Come to check up on me?”

She walked over and sat on the lazy boy recliner next to the couch. “I’ve come to play nurse during my lunch break,” she told him.

Tyler lifted his head off the pillow and looked over at her. “I told Savannah I didn’t need a nurse,” he stated.

“You two are both the most stubborn people I’ve ever met in my life,” Shea muttered. “Don’t act like you don’t like my company,” she added jokingly.

“You know I love hanging out with you,” Tyler told her honestly. He really did enjoy Shea’s company. He had known her longer than Savannah, and he’d actually had a crush on Shea first. Before he’d found out she was a lesbian and in love with Audrey.

“You better say that,” she teased.

“How’s married life treating you?” Tyler asked her as she got comfy in the chair, folding her feet up underneath her.

A genuine smile formed on her face. “Really good,” she replied. “I expected you to be married to Van by now,” she added jokingly.

Tyler grinned at her. “Don’t tempt me,” he replied.

Shea’s eyes widened. “Oh my God, Tyler Seguin, are you going to propose to my sister!?” she asked excitedly. “I don’t know if I can handle two Stars weddings back to back!”

Tyler laughed. “Taking the limelight from Jamie does sound kinda fun.”

“You better wait until you can actually get down on one knee and do a proposal properly,” she told him. “Van deserves the best.”

“She does,” he nodded his head in agreement. “And I don’t think right now getting married is what she’s focused on. Besides, no chance in hell I’m telling you before I propose. You’d run and tell her before I had a chance!”

Shea pursed her lips. “Yeah, you’re probably right,” she shrugged.

“So tell me about your life and being married and all that jazz,” Tyler said. He shifted so he was sitting up more rather than lying down on the couch and his dogs took the opportunity to get close to him and get petted. “I feel like we never hang out anymore.”

“Life is good,” she told him with a smile. “I’m not sure if Van has told you but Audrey and I are looking into having a baby,” she revealed. The look on Tyler’s face told her that this was the first he’d heard the news.

“That’s incredible,” Tyler smiled at her. “Are you looking into adoption?”

Shea shook her head. “No, in vitro. Audrey would carry the baby.”

He could tell something was off, but couldn’t quite tell what it was. “Is that what you want?” he asked straight forward.

“Yes,” she answered immediately. “I just feel like...like I’m not going to be the mom really, you know? Audrey would carry the baby and I’m just not doing anything,” Shea shrugged. Tyler sensed this was really bothering her.

“Have you told Audrey how you feel?”

“Yeah,” Shea replied. “She always says I’m going to be as much of a mom as me.”

“Because she’s right,” Tyler assured her. “We both know Audrey is the smartest one out of all of us.” He paused for a moment before adding, “Don’t tell Savannah I said that.”

Shea chuckled. “I know she’s right, it’s just still…” she trailed off, not knowing how to describe her feelings. “I don’t even know why we’re talking about this. It’s going to be a while before we have a baby, if we can do this. And besides, I’m supposed to be here to take care of you, not being a downer!”

“I told you I don’t need a nurse,” Tyler reminded her. “And Shea, you’re going to be a great mom. With Audrey. Both of you.”

“Ugh. Stop being such a sap, Seguin,” Shea joked. She reminded him so much of Savannah sometimes. “Now give me a puppy,” she said, reaching down and grabbing Cash and pulling him into her lap, which he didn’t seem to mind at all.

She stayed the rest of her lunch break before heading back to work. But, just before she was getting ready to walk out the door, Tyler had another visitor. “I swear, I’m going to kill Savannah for thinking I need a nurse,” he muttered with an eye roll as Alex walked in the door. “Take me back to the hospital, I can be nursed by that one girl,” he said, forgetting the overbearing woman’s name.

“Um thanks for choosing her over me,” Alex feigned hurt.

“Damned if I do, damned if I don’t,” he mumbled. “If I asked you to be my nurse, everyone would be up in arms, too,” he pointed out.

“Well you’re stuck with me,” Alex told him.

“Let me see that ring of yours again,” Tyler requested.

Alex laughed. “I can’t stop staring at it,” she admitted. “I wasn’t actually ever expecting him to propose, you know,” she said as she held her hand out for Tyler to inspect the ring. He had to admit, Jamie had done well.

“Sometimes people surprise you,” Tyler said.

Alex looked at him. “Why do I feel like you’re not talking about Jamie?” she asked him.

Tyler smiled at her. “I’m not talking about anyone in particular,” he told her. “I just think in general people surprise you. I didn’t expect to fall so hard for Savannah. I didn’t expect Jamie to not be into marriage. But, I’m happy for you, Alex. You deserve the world,” he told her sincerely.

“Tyler Seguin, why are you being so sentimental?” she questioned. “Are you dying?” she joked. “I thought you broke your leg, not received news you’re dying.”

He laughed at her. “I’m not dying. Well, not that I know of. But then again, never expected drug dealing in the NHL, especially the Stars.” He shook his head. “Let’s talk about something else. I need to get my mind off of this,” he said, knowing if they didn’t change subjects soon, he’d spend the whole day worrying about Savannah.

“I got a call for another magazine photo shoot,” she revealed.

Tyler grinned. “Really? Because of my awesome pictures?” he asked her.

“I guess I do have to give you some credit for the job,” she admitted. “I wouldn’t have gotten my photos into a magazine without your naked ass,” she teased. “But yeah, Vanity Fair called me. It’s not going to be cover photos, but it’ll be a spread in their magazine. I’m pretty excited,” she said with a big grin on her face. He could tell this was big for her, and he couldn’t have been happier for her.

“You deserve it,” he told her. “Your pictures are amazing. I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else to do my shoot,” he told her honestly. “I still say you need to return the favor. I mean you did see me naked…”

Alex rolled her eyes as she gave him a light push to his shoulder. “You better stop or Jamie and Van are going to kill you!”

“Hey, don’t hurt an injured guy!” he jokingly shrieked, holding his shoulder, feigning being in pain.

“God, you’re going to milk this broken leg for all its worth, aren’t you?” she muttered.

Tyler sat up straighter on the couch. “You bet I am,” he stated with a big grin. “But honestly, I’m already a little sick of this broken leg and it’s been like two days,” he told her, getting serious for a moment. “I just want to be able to walk. I’m sick of being stuck in bed or on the couch. And Savannah gets pissed at me every time I get up, even if I’m using crutches like I’m supposed to,” he said.

“Well, I can’t make you heal any quicker, but how about we play some video games. Whatever you want,” Alex offered.

Tyler glanced at her sideways. “You play video games?” he questioned. He just couldn’t picture Alex sitting down and playing some X-box.

“Well I’m probably not as good as your teammates, but how hard can it be?” she shrugged. “You pick the game,” she told him.

“NHL 2k19, obviously,” he told her.

“Fine, but only if you play yourself,” she chuckled.

“Deal,” he smirked, knowing he was going to kick her ass at this game.

Tyler was sadly mistaken hours later when Alex had easily won four out of five games. And he was fairly sure she had purposely let him win the fifth one because he was being a baby. “Damn, does Jamie know you’re good at video games?”

“This is my first time playing it. Beginner’s luck,” she shrugged.

“Bullshit beginner’s luck,” Tyler rolled his eyes. For the first time since they began playing, Tyler picked up his phone and looked at his missed messages. He had two from Savannah.

3:37 pm: I’ll be home a little earlier than I thought. Just checking in on how you’re feeling?

4:52 pm: I’m stopping by Shea’s then I’ll be home… I have this weird twin feeling


He looked at the time. 6:32 pm. He then looked over at Alex. “Has Savannah texted you?” he asked.

“Probably,” Alex said casually. She, Shea, and Savannah we’re constantly texting.

“When was the last time she texted you? She texted me before 5:00 and said she was stopping by Shea’s because of some weird twin thing and she’s still not home,” he told her.

Alex looked at her phone, scrolling through texts, and then looked back at Tyler. “Not since this afternoon,” she frowned. He knew she was thinking the same thing as him. “Don’t worry, though, you know she gets caught up in work and stuff,” she tried to relieve his fears.

“You’re right, she’s probably at work,” he said, though his focus remained on his phone.

“I’ll call her,” Alex offered.

Just as Alex was about to call Savannah, the front door opened and she came walking through. “Hey! Sorry I’m late,” she apologized. “Hey, Alex, thanks for hanging with Tyler this afternoon,” she thanked her best friend.

“How was work?” Alex asked her.

“Fine,” Savannah said with a small smile, and Tyler knew immediately she was lying. He wondered if Alex knew she was lying, too. He thought about calling her out right then and there but decided he’d wait until after Alex left to ask.

“I’m kinda hungry. Wanna order some dinner?” he asked.

Savannah nodded her head. “Sure, sounds good,” she said. “Alex, you wanna stay?” she extended the invite.

Alex shook her head. “No, I’m going to go back home. I’ve got a couple of things to finish up for work. But, Segs, it was fun hanging out and kicking your ass today,” she grinned, as she stood up and put a hand on his shoulder. “Let me know when you’re bored again and we can have a rematch.”

Savannah looked at them curiously. “Alex here is apparently a pro at NHL 2k19,” he explained before looking up at Alex. “You’re invited anytime. But, next time I won’t take it easy on you,” he said jokingly.

Alex laughed. “Deal. I’ll see you two later,” she said as she made her way out the door.

Savannah started to head for the hallway.

“I’m gonna go change real quick.” She still had on the clothes she had gone to work in.

“Hold on,” Tyler called out. Savannah stopped and backpedaled towards him. He reached his hand out, putting it on her arm. “What’s going on?” he asked, worry sketched on his face.

“What do you mean?” Savannah attempted to play it off.

Tyler frowned. “Cut the bullshit,” he told her. “I know you. I know something is wrong. Is Shea okay?” he asked.

“Shea is fine,” Savannah told him. “False alarm on the twin telepathy.”

“Then what’s wrong with you?” he asked. He could tell she wasn’t going to answer. “Savannah. Tell me.”

Savannah sighed. “Can I please go change?” She didn’t wait for an answer as she started walking towards the bedroom.

Tyler didn’t waste any time as he grabbed his crutches. “Sure, let me walk with you and you can talk,” he said.

Savannah spun around. “Tyler, what are you doing!? Sit down!” she instructed him.

“No. You tell me what’s going on,” he ordered. He wasn’t going to let her shut him out. Something had happened and he was going to get to the bottom of it.

“Conway just said some shit to me,” she shrugged. Tyler’s eyes widened as his protective instincts kicked in. He knew she didn’t need to be protected, but he hated feeling helpless himself. “Calm down, killer,” she smiled at him as she closed the gap between them and pressed her hands on his chest, giving him a soft kiss on his lips. “I’m fine,” she assured him.

“What did he say?” Tyler demanded an answer.

“I think I’m a target,” she said quietly. Tyler opened his mouth to ask the million of questions racing through his mind, but Savannah kept talking. “I’m sorry, Tyler. I know you hate my job, and I swear I wasn’t trying to get in the middle of a physical battle. I was taking the back seat. I’m behind a desk. And I’m not out actively trying to put a guy behind bars.”

“I know,” he said softly, putting his arms around her. “So what do we do?”

We don’t do anything,” she emphasized. “I’m going to try to keep a low profile right now. Ask Liam and Mallory to help me with Conway. And Maren’s got Nelson covered in Chicago right now. I’ll do what I can to catch Sonny Diego from behind my desk,” she told him.

“Savannah, I’m worried about you,” Tyler told her.

For the first time in a long time, he watched as her walls fell around her. She buried her head in his chest and wrapped her arms tightly around him. “I’m worried, too,” she mumbled into his chest. And that was all Tyler needed to hear to know this was way past the tipping point. Savannah’s life was truly being threatened, and he was going to do anything and everything to ensure she was safe. A broken leg was the least of his worries. He’d throw his body in front of a bullet a million times for her, and he intended to do just that if that’s what it took.