‹ Prequel: Beta

Gamma

06

Savannah was frustrated that they weren’t figuring this case out quicker. With the new lead, she’d only gained a million more questions. Like how deep into the Blackhawks was this drug? And was it spreading to the rest of the NHL teams?

She hadn’t been completely satisfied when she and Maren had met with Jonathan Toews. She didn’t think he was keeping anything from them; she knew he’d do anything for the team just like Jamie would with the Stars. But, she thought he could help them a little more.

So while Maren was following Jimmy Nelson today to see where he was meeting up with these kids to exchange the drugs, Savannah made her way to the practice arena for the Blackhawks.

As she walked into the weight room, she saw a couple of the players in the middle of their workouts. She looked in the corner and saw Jonathan on a bike. He made eye contact with her and stopped pedaling, taking his headphones out of his ears as he walked over to her.

“Surprise visit?” he asked with a raised eyebrow. Savannah noticed the sweat dripping from his hair onto his forehead and couldn’t help but think of Tyler. She had always been turned on when he got finished with a game or workout and was dripping in sweat.

She shook that thought from her mind as she focused on Jonathan standing in front of her. “Just wanted to stop by and chat,” she told him.

“Where’s your partner in crime?” he asked, using the sleeve from his long sleeve shirt to wipe the sweat from his eyes.

Savannah smiled. “Maren?” she asked, knowing he had a thing for the younger agent. “You’ve got her number, you can call her anytime.”

Jonathan shook his head. “Just thought you were a pair,” he commented, not admitting to his crush.

“She’s out investigating something,” Savannah replied vaguely. “I thought maybe we could talk a little more.”

Jonathan motioned for her to walk out of the weight room, and he followed her into the hallway. “Tell me what you know,” he demanded.

“We told you,” Savannah began but Jonathan cut her off.

“You told me the basics. I know you know more. Look, I want to help if something is going on with this team. I just don’t know what I’m looking for,” he explained. He sounded a little desperate and Savannah had no doubt he cared about this team and would do anything for them.

Savannah started walking down the hallway and Jonathan followed her as she started talking. “We’re pretty sure Jimmy Nelson is dealing drugs to the up and comers. This substance called Gamma. It’s like Ritalin on steroids. It gets them amped up, increases speed and focus. But, it’s also killing kids. It was big on the west coast in high school soccer but it appears it’s gotten to the hockey world.”

“And you think Jimmy is doing it?” Jonathan asked.

“He’s not the head guy, that’s the one I’m after. But yeah, Jimmy is dealing it to the kids in your system. I mean they’re pushing to try to get up to the big leagues. They’re going to take any advantage they can get,” Savannah pointed out. They had stopped walking and were standing against a wall at the end of the hallway outside of an extra locker room.

“Who’s the head guy?” he inquired.

“You don’t need to know that,” Savannah told him. She’d probably already told him too much. “That’s my case to close. We just need you to keep an ear out. Let us know if you hear anything related to Gamma or Jimmy. Call Maren if you do hear anything. See, win win for everyone. We get information and you get to call Maren,” she smirked at him.

Jonathan frowned. “What do I get out of that?” he asked.

Savannah faced him straight on, staring him down. “I’m a detective. I can read people. And I can tell you’ve got a thing for her,” she stated matter-of-factly.

“Sorry, but a DEA agent isn’t my type,” he crossed his arms over his chest.

“You shouldn’t settle for one type. And don’t count anyone out. I’m the first to understand that,” she told him. Tyler definitely wasn’t her type, and yet, she’d fallen in love with him somehow.

Jonathan chuckled. “Still can’t believe Seguin settled down.”

“You know, if I had a dollar every time I heard that, I’d be as rich as you,” she commented.

Jonathan laughed loudly. “Sorry,” he shrugged his shoulders.

“Just call her,” Savannah told him. “If you hear anything,” she added. “We all want this drug ring busted.”

“I’ll see what I can find out,” he told her, and she happily accepted that answer, knowing he’d be asking around to protect his team.

“See you later,” she said as she turned around and walked out of the rink.

She went outside and pulled out her cell phone as she walked to her car. She got inside as she called Tyler. “Hey hey,” he answered the phone.

“You know you have quite the reputation around the league,” she commented.

“Who are you talking to?” he questioned.

Savannah chuckled. “It doesn’t matter. Everyone I talk to is shocked I’m dating you. Seems you’ve got a reputation for not settling down,” she informed him. “Even Toews couldn’t believe it.”

“You’re meeting up with Toews again? Do I need to worry about you eloping?” he joked.

“Well, I wouldn’t be opposed to eloping,” she told him. She had put the address of her hotel into her GPS but held off getting on the road just yet, so she sat in the parking lot talking to Tyler. “But it wouldn’t be with Toews. Besides, pretty sure he’s into Maren,” she told him.

“Toews is into her? Damn, didn’t know he wanted to be like me that much,” Tyler added jokingly.

“Maren is nothing like me,” Savannah snapped quickly. She didn’t have any negative feelings towards Maren, she just wanted to make it clear they weren’t the same person.

“What’s she like then?” Tyler inquired.

“Young,” Savannah replied. “Probably twenty-five tops. Smart though. Super serious about everything. And you think I’m obsessed with work? This girl sleeps in her office. Like actually has a pillow and blankets.” She had seen them laying neatly in a pile in the corner of Maren’s office.

“Must not have a boyfriend that makes her want to leave for some mind blowing sex,” he commented, his voice a little rougher than it had been.

“Told you she was different than me,” Savannah smirked.

“I could go for some mind blowing sex right now,” Tyler told her.

Savannah rolled her eyes. “You’re so romantic, I can’t believe it,” she said sarcastically. Her eyes went to a car that had just pulled into the parking lot. She could see a man in his thirties in the front seat on the phone. For some reason, she felt the need to pay attention. “Tyler I gotta go,” she told him.

“Savannah?” he called out, his voice sounding worried.

“I’ll call you back later,” she said, quickly hanging up her phone. She saw the moment the man realized she was in the parking lot with her. He instantly got off the phone and opened his car door. He kept an eye on her as he got out of his car.

She watched as he made his way over to her car. It was at that moment she wished she had her gun. Something just didn’t sit right with her about the man. He walked over and knocked on her window. She rolled it down halfway. She had grabbed her phone, getting ready to call 911 if she needed to.

“You’ll have better luck meeting the players if you come back tomorrow morning,” he told her.

Savannah was confused by his comment but then realized he thought she was a groupie looking for autographs and pictures with the team. “Oh, uh thanks,” she said, forcing a smile.

“No problem,” he said, giving her body a once over. She was immediately grossed out and ready to get out of there. “Give me a call if you want to meet anyone in particular. I’ve got an in,” he flashed her a smile as he reached in his pocket and handed her one of his business cards.

“Thanks,” she said again, starting the engine so she could get the hell away from the man.

She turned her focus back to the man standing outside of her car. He nodded his head and started for the doors to the rink. It was then that she looked down at the card he’d given her. Jimmy Nelson. Chicago Blackhawks Scout.

She turned her attention back toward him. She noticed he held a prescription pill bottle in his hand. Her heart raced as she realized he had the drugs on him. Which meant one thing. He was dealing at the rink. It made sense though when she really thought about it. It was a public place and he could meet with the scouts or even younger kids.

As much as she wanted to arrest him on the spot, she knew she couldn’t do that. She didn’t have handcuffs, for one, as she had gone here simply to talk to Toews, not to go after a drug dealer. So Savannah put the car in drive and sped back to the agency. She rushed inside and went directly to her old office, seeing Maren sitting at the desk she called her own for so long. “I tracked down Nelson’s girlfriend today,” Maren announced. “She didn’t have much to say.”

“I unintentionally tracked down Nelson himself today,” Savannah said, throwing his business card down. “He’s dealing the drugs in plain sight. At the practice facility,” she told her.

Maren looked at the card and then up at Savannah. “What were you doing there?” she inquired.

“I was looking for Toews, not that it matters,” Savannah replied. “I’m telling you. That’s where he’s doing his business. In plain sight,” she reiterated.

“We just need to catch him in the act,” Maren said, a determined look on her face. Savannah knew she wanted to catch Jimmy and Sonny as much as Savannah did.

“We need to get in with one of the up and coming kids. Or maybe even the high school kids. Do you think he’s dealing it to them, too?” Savannah wondered aloud.

“We need to look into that,” Maren replied. “I’ll get someone on that.”

Marco appeared at the doorway, causing both women to turn their attention towards him. “Savannah, pack your bags,” he stated.

Savannah looked at him incredulously. “What are you talking about?” she questioned.

“You’re going back to Dallas,” he announced.

Savannah’s eyes widened. He was kicking her off this case? No way she was going to let that happen. She crossed her arms over her chest. “I’m closing this case,” she told him, leaving no room for argument.

Marco smirked at her. “I have no doubt about that. But the case just got more interesting.” Savannah raised an eyebrow at him, waiting on him to expound. “This is bigger than Chicago.”

Savannah’s mind started turning. “You can’t be telling me it’s in Dallas,” she said slowly, connecting the dots.

“Nelson isn’t the only scout dealing this drug. A kid in Dallas just almost died in the hospital because of a drug he says he got from this guy named Tommy Conway. I looked into him, and turns out he’s drafted by the Dallas Stars.” Savannah’s heart rate picked up at that announcement. The drug ring had reached the team that was near and dear to her heart. “So I looked into Conway’s background. You’ll never guess who his cousin is. Jimmy Nelson,” he answered himself before she could even guess.

“Shit,” Savannah muttered.

“So you’re heading back to Dallas,” he told her once again. “Already have your flight booked.”

Savannah looked at Maren, knowing they had the same thought going through their minds. This was turning into a large drug bust. And both of them wouldn’t stop until everyone was put behind bars.