Light It Up

Elegance with a Venomous Tongue

The shock on their faces was enough to make the smile on my face grow; like I said they never expect me to be female. It also made me a little bitter to think that everyone has this preconceived notion that a woman couldn’t be behind a successful operation like mine.

“Cat got your tongue?” I say snidely before looking over my shoulder at my Uncle Pat for another drink. “Do you boys want anything?”

“Beer please.” “I’ll take one too.” “Whiskey on the rocks.” They chime in. I look back to them as the tall one says his order and I smirk.

“A man after my own heart.” I state before grabbing the drinks and making my way to a table near the wall. Sitting and motioning for them to join me. “Glad you could make it.”

“I mean you didn’t leave us much choice.” The dark skinned one mumbled. This earned a punch on the arm from the tall one.

“Cut the shit Dub.” He scolds. “Sorry about him. He clearly doesn’t have any manners.”

I look over at the one named Dub. He was glaring at his friend before returning his gaze to me and looking down quickly.

“Clearly.” I state. “I asked you guys to meet me here because word is getting around about my business and it seems to be at the word of your crews’ mouths.”

“Listen lady, no disrespect, but we don’t need some outsider coming in here and messing with the flow of things. You’ve put a lot of people out of business with your operation. A lot of good people.” The shorter one says.

“An outsider? Is that what you think I am?” I question amused.

“Well, aren’t you? No one had ever heard of you until a couple years ago. And now your product is the only one that seems to be on the streets.” The Taller one replies.

“What’s your name?” I ask completely ignoring his question for now.

“Colson. Most call me MGK.” He says cockily with a smirk that could make a girl’s panties drop.

“Well Colson. I will have you know that no, I am not an outsider. I grew up in this city, lived my whole life a couple streets away from here. I saw the people I grew up with struggle to make ends meet just like you did. I promised myself that I would be dammed if I ended up the same way. I took a massive loan out to get through college and start up my business. I knew that people would get caught in the crosshairs, but it was also a risk I was willing to take to make something of myself. I feel bad that I have put people out of work but if you send them my way, I may be able to help. I have my hands in more than just marijuana. My influence on this city however new it is has grown to be quite substantial.”

They sat listening intently as I spoke. Watching their faces, I could see a mix of emotions, understanding, indignation, and most of all awe. They were impressed by the way I held myself and what I made for myself.

“So, going forward I would like to strike up a deal with you and your crew.” I say taking another sip of my glass.

“And why would we wanna have anything to do with you?” Dub snips back at me. This earns him a glare from Colson.

“What Kinda deal?” He asks ignoring the rude comment from his boy.

“Mutually beneficial of course. You guys get your supply from me, help me expand my area, and provide a little security.” I tell them.

“What do you get out of the deal?” The shorter one whose name I hadn’t gotten asks.

I smile to myself and twirl the brown liquid around my cup.

“What do I get? I have the money aspect covered up. I run a fully operational tech company on top of my operation. Something I do not have however, is peace of mind that my operation isn’t going to make headlines. So, I get you and your boys. Meaning you and your boys keep my name out of their fucking mouths and help keep it out of other peoples as well. If my operation fails, it is more than just me that is on the line. Too many people that are just trying to stay afloat would lose everything as well.” I say with venom in my words.

“This isn’t something that I will do lightly. I need to think that offer over.” Colson states standing up.

I quickly dig into my clutch for a business card. I slide it across the table while never breaking eye contact with him.

“I want an answer by midnight tomorrow. Think quickly, cause if you refuse my offer there will be hell to pay.” I say sweetly. He grabs the card from the table and they move toward the door. Colson is the last one out and before he disappears through the door, he gives me one more look and smirks again. It makes my breath catch again and my stomach flip.

One look had never gotten under my skin quite as well as his, but I was looking forward to seeing him again. And it could be in celebration of a great partnership or it could be with my wiping the floor with what was left of him. I was most excited to find out which was in the cards.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long to update. Work got really crazy!

I am actually really looking forward to where this story is going! Hope you are too.

Josephine