Status: In Progress

Where Is My Mind?

THREE - IN THE HOUSE

"He loves me.. he loves me not. He loves me.. he loves me not. He loves me.. he... he loves me not.." Deep down, I knew that was true, but I never wanted to admit it. I would've done anything for him. It hurts.. I just want it to stop hurting.. I've wanted the pain to go away for so long now, and I have nothing else to live for. I can't keep living in this perpetual sorrow, a neverending road of depression and anxiety. He consumed me, every last drop, and left me dry and brittle on the side of the road..

Who is that? Or.. what is that?

"Hello?" God, it looks.. it's inhuman! "Please, can you help me?" Just put me out of my misery! Just.. oh god, no! This isn't right, something isn't right! That's definitely not a person, that thing is.. it looks like it crawled straight out of hell.

"Don't be scared, little dove. You've been calling me for a long time now. I'm going give you what you want." It spoke not with a mouth, and the voice was more like a thousand voices speaking all at once.

"Are.. are you legion?" I don't know why I would ask it that. That doesn't even make sense! It's laughing at me, oh god make that noise stop! It's terrifying!

"I said fear not! I'm here to help." Please, don't come any closer! I'll just die, I don't want to be a part of life anymore! Please, just go away and let me die in what little peace I can find! "This won't hurt, little dove." Why does it sound so malicious? This.. this must be a demon! It is! Surely, the devil himself is approaching me, bending down in front of me and.. oh god it's going to kiss me! PLEASE I JUST WANT IT TO E--------


She bolted upright, sweating and panting and feeling dizzy. She must've convulsed herself onto the floor and into unconsciousness. Her stomach churned again and she suddenly felt the urge to throw up, but it went away as soon as it had come. Something happened.. she felt a slight clarity, yet the confusion consuming her mind still overmatched. A dream? She tried to remember the frenzy she just returned from in her mind and found that it was all starting to slip away. What was that thing? She couldn't remember what it looked like or sounded like now.

But she did know she felt fear. The house had grown dark, and she realized that she must have been knocked out for most of the day. Or had it been multiple days? Her thinking seemed a bit more high speed now, but the thought that had haunted her before haunted her still: it doesn't feel like my mind fits in my body. The air felt heavy around her, as though there was some sort of dampness floating around.

Or perhaps as though there was some sort of.. tangible energy surrounding the atmosphere and pressing down on her body. She suddenly felt very small.. and not alone. Something in her urged her to get up and turn on a light, but her body felt heavy and unable to move properly.

"Hello?" She asked the darkness. Her eyes fixated on the particularly dark shadows that lined the hallway across from her place by the couch. She was still on the floor, which was cold and hard beneath her. Somehow, the floor seemed so far away from her, and while she could feel it beneath her, she had a sense of floating, hovering, just above it. A ringing started in her ears, slight at first but slowly growing. "Hello??" She called again, a little more desperate. How long had she sat there in silence staring at the hallway? It must've been at least twenty minutes, but the weight of time on her percieved to be hours. The ringing grew louder.

"Please, can you help me?" The words left her mouth without her mind's permission, and she suddenly was filled with regret for asking the question. She knew that she didn't want anything to answer her. She knew that she wanted to remain desolate and isolate at this moment. If she wasn't alone, she didn't want to know what else occupied this house with her.

But nothing answered. However, the ringing was so loud now that if something had answered, she may not have even heard it. Dizziness made her head start spinning, and the familiar bubbling sensation in her belly grew. Finally, through no conscious start of it's own, her body began to move, slowly and drunkenly standing, dragging itself towards the bathroom. God, what is happening to me? Sluggish and shaking, she made it to the bathroom and threw her head over the toilet bowl, where her body exorcised more bloody contents into it.